I bought an ESP LTD M-300FM and I'm not huge on the red, the black ones were too expensive, so I want to repaint it if possible. Is it as easy as sanding it down and repainting like a regular wood or is there a certain thing to do?
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
if you want to make it say transparent black instead of say transparent red like all the flamed maple LTD guitars are that is a lot of work. So much work I'd just sell/trade the guitar if the color bothered me that much. The specs are really good for the M-300FM for stock parts. I had one a while ago.

If I was to get it black I'd pay someone professional to do it. Any way you look at it, it's going to be expensive but you're paying for a person who's done it before so you'll get results you like. I can tell you horror stories about all these local "custom shops' that shell out lemons (screw ups).

the jist of it you'd be
sanding down the finish trying to get rid of every speck of red and since this is a neckthrough guitar around the neck joint isn't going to be easy

you'd have to re-dye the flamed maple assuming the veneer (flamed maple portion) doesn't sand completely through.

applying wood finish takes a long time and for a neckthrough guitar again I really wouldn't try it as my first project. Applying wood finish to the guitar is the most difficult thing to do. With wood finish like polyurethane it doesn't cure over night either it's a long process.

and a lot of sanding and polishing. To restore one explorer I had to buy 4-6 kinds of sand paper, this and that compound and a car polisher (30-ish canadian) to make it happen.

if you want to make it glossy , semi-gloss or flat black that is a whole different story. If you do sand a flamed maple guitar down to bare wood remember to use a primer or the paint will never look good. Automotive spray paint is usually my go to like how Fender did their guitars in the 50s/60s as a lot of them apparently had names similar to car finishes at the time. But like applying re-dying the entire guitar the polyurethane is going to mess most people up.

this guys youtube channel is insightful and sully gets back to questions personally
https://www.youtube.com/user/jsullysix/videos
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 22, 2015,
Thanks for the info. The red isn't going to kill, it just wasn't my first choice. Definitely a nice guitar with good stock specs though. It cracks me up to see the KH-602 go for $300 more when it's essentially the same exact thing
I mostly give up when it comes to guitar finishes. I'm not a fan of black guitars at all, and I've ended up with way more than I want simply because I buy the guitar first and the finish...well...about fifth, I guess.

So far I've resisted *flat* black. SO dumb (personal fashion sense, here, sorry).
^I completely agree, I am not a huge fan of black guitars, but alas my DC Standard, S2 and strat are all black. and the S2 and DC are my favorite. Point being, if you like the guitar well enough you can overlook the color of it.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by PiercedBand at #33607973
Thanks for the info. The red isn't going to kill, it just wasn't my first choice. Definitely a nice guitar with good stock specs though. It cracks me up to see the KH-602 go for $300 more when it's essentially the same exact thing

It isn't. The 602 is a lot better made in a factory that makes its guitars to a higher standard and the Floyds they have are better.

Refinishing a guitar is a massive undertaking. And black is as generic as it gets for superstrats. If it bothers you so much, it would be a lot more cost effective to just buy another guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Well yeah but you can also replace the saddles and other parts on the Floyd which isn't difficult. The only real reason it's so expensive is because it has Hammett's name. A BC Rich Jr. V has an FRO including a lot of other good hardware/woods, it goes for $600 or $700.
Quote by PiercedBand at #33608171
Well yeah but you can also replace the saddles and other parts on the Floyd which isn't difficult. The only real reason it's so expensive is because it has Hammett's name. A BC Rich Jr. V has an FRO including a lot of other good hardware/woods, it goes for $600 or $700.

Well, you're still going to have a worse quality baseplate. If you're going to go to such lengths to replace almost everything on the bridge, you may as well just replace the bridge entirely. The bridge is only part of the story. There's no disagreement that signature guitars are more expensive because of royalties, but the fact remains that the cheaper LTD's are just not as well made as the 600's and the 1000's. You cannot just go off specs and price to know how good a guitar is.

But with that said, getting another guitar just makes more sense. Stripping the finish on a poly-coated guitar is a bitch and that's only part of the battle. Applying a new finish after the old stuff has been removed is difficult and very time consuming and requires a lot of preparation. And if you make a mistake during the process, the finish will look like shit and all the hard work you put into the finish up to that point will be ruined. It's a lot of grief.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You cannot just go off specs and price to know how good a guitar is.

Gospel. Chapter and verse.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
But with that said, getting another guitar just makes more sense. Stripping the finish on a poly-coated guitar is a bitch and that's only part of the battle. Applying a new finish after the old stuff has been removed is difficult and very time consuming and requires a lot of preparation. And if you make a mistake during the process, the finish will look like shit and all the hard work you put into the finish up to that point will be ruined. It's a lot of grief.

And if the "flame maple" is a veneer and you sand through it?
Quote by dspellman at #33608305

And if the "flame maple" is a veneer and you sand through it?

Yup. Sometimes you're the fuck-er and other times you're the fuck-ee.

In which case you'd be the fuck-ee.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Not to mention, that if its a first time refin for you, good luck salvaging that veneer they come with. You aren't getting a solid flame top to refin, its a couple of MM of veneer on top of a most likely gross looking top.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It finally came today and I actually like the finish. Pictures made it look pretty ugly. No need to refinish it now
Quote by PiercedBand
It finally came today and I actually like the finish. Pictures made it look pretty ugly. No need to refinish it now

Emily LaTella (SNL): "Oh. That's different. Nevermind."
Quote by PiercedBand at #33608842

Thanks for wasting everybody's time.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R