Hello fellow guitar players, I'm trying to figure out the correct picking direction using alternate picking on this measure. I guess the part that is really screwing me up is the sixteenth note in between. Can anyone help me decipher how to properly pick this piece using alternate picking? I would greatly appreciate it.(Invalid img)
Attachments:
Capture.PNG
well, alternate picking just means that you strictly pick down up down up down up down etc. all the time. I personally prefer economy picking where say you just picked down and the next note is on the string below you pick down again similar to sweep picking, but in cases like these there's no real distinction between the two because of the slide. Pick down, slide up without picking, pick up for the open note, then down up down, then I guess up for the last note if you want to go strictly alternate picking, but I'd personally down pick the last one as well because I think it would sound better after a rest like that.

for future reference, questions like these are more suited for the guitar techniques subforum.
"Correct" is whatever gets the job done most efficiently.

In a passage with 16ths, my usual rule is to pick down on the 8ths, and up on any 16ths in between. I.e., I like to mark the 8th note pulse with downstrokes, regardless of where the notes actually come. That's my "rule". I don't always follow it, but I don't consciously employ either alternate picking or sweep picking either.

In this case, that means down-slide-down-down-up-down-down. That might vary depending on how fast this is.

But! - really I'd be listening to the original to be sure that tab was correct:
1. That low E seems odd
2. The repeat of the 14th fret E seems odd (maybe it ought to be tied? could the 12-14 be a hammer-on?
3. Maybe a different position is easier? (eg strings 3-2 instead of 4-3)?

IOW, I certainly can't make any kind of judgement just looking at this. What's the track? Do you have a timing for where this phrase occurs?

But (2) - oh yeah, this should really be in the technique section....
This is from Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N Roses. It's the start of the first solo and its played at 124bpm and yes I think I have the timing down.
I don't know how Slash played it, but in alternate picking the ideal is that you are always downpicking on the downbeat. As a matter of accuracy, you should check your timing with a metronome. Slow it down and count the beats if needed.

So if you're alt picking a bar of quarter notes: d d d d

A bar of 8ths du du du du

A bar of triplets dud udu dud upu

A bar of 16ths dudu dudu dudu dudu

And those are static, even if there are rests

Example, a bar of 8ths with some rests: du Ru dR du

16ths with rests: dudu Rudu dRdu duRu

d = down
u = up
R = rest

Now this isn't followed strictly in everyone's actual playing, but it's a good habit to get into, as it will improve your rhythm and accents.
Last edited by cdgraves at Sep 23, 2015,
Quote by 10Ulises
This is from Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N Roses. It's the start of the first solo and its played at 124bpm and yes I think I have the timing down.

It's tabbed wrong. Listen to this: (Solo starts at 1:34.)

https://youtu.be/4RS3oL53om4?t=1m34s

Well, if you want to play it that way, fine. You don't need to play it note for note. But I would suggest first listening to how it's originally played and then decide which way you want to play it (if you want to change it).

BTW, I posted a Power tab of this song on this site a while ago, and it was based on the original guitar tracks if you want to check it out. I tried to make it as accurate as possible, and I listened to the tracks really carefully (though it was four years ago, so there may be some small mistakes - the best thing to do would be to just listen to the song or the guitar tracks and figuring it out by ear, maybe use the tabs as a guide). Here's the link if you want to check it out.

I know this didn't really answer your question, but I assume you want to learn the solo of this song.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Sep 24, 2015,
Yes thanks for your reply, I'm actually working on re-tabbing the solo to the way I think it should be played. I'll have to check out your version after I install the Power tab editor.
Quote by 10Ulises
Yes thanks for your reply, I'm actually working on re-tabbing the solo to the way I think it should be played. I'll have to check out your version after I install the Power tab editor.

Yeah... Don't blindly trust it. As I said, it's four years old (but I would guess it's pretty accurate).

But yeah, I would suggest figuring it out yourself, maybe use the tab as some kind of a guide if you are stuck.

All tabs I have seen of that song, even the "official" ones, are just bad. That's why I made my own version.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
All tabs I have seen of that song, even the "official" ones, are just bad. That's why I made my own version.

Heh, it's always fun to see musician take a look into their own tab books and going "what the hell" when everything is just wrong.

And OP, I wouldn't think too much about the proper way to pick anything. There's no need to strictly alternate pick or strictly economy pick anything, just try to analyze which motions feel most natural. Of course, to a beginner simple downpicking feels natural even though it might be inferior to alternate picking and you of course should consider the most efficient way to pick things, but don't get stuck in the idea that there's a preset, most optimal way to play every passage that you have to follow.

So by all means, take efficiency into consideration, but don't overthink it.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here