What's the difference? I've seen pictures of both and the thin-u shape just looks like a d-shaped neck to me.
A thin U is still going to maintain a relatively uniform roundness across the back of the neck. A D-shape gets flatter towards the middle.

EDIT: That's wrong. I was thinking of thin C not thin U.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Sep 23, 2015,
U shape has taller shoulders and is relatively flat.

D shape is like a C with the hump toned down a bit. D and U can be pretty close depending on how thick the neck is.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
D and U are very similar. Sometimes they feel almost exactly the same depending on the guitar.

The back on U necks is generally a bit flatter than a D, while a D is more of a happy medium between a C and a U.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
D and U are very similar. Sometimes they feel almost exactly the same depending on the guitar.

The back on U necks is generally a bit flatter than a D, while a D is more of a happy medium between a C and a U.

I also feel like it's not a regulated thing. One luthier's U will be another's D will be another's flat C.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
What's Charvel's/Jackson Dinky's neck profile actually? I just checked and found that my good old Epi G400's neck ("slim D") is a bit flatter in the middle, but when playing I hardly notice a difference.
Quote by Knarrenheino
What's Charvel's/Jackson Dinky's neck profile actually? I just checked and found that my good old Epi G400's neck ("slim D") is a bit flatter in the middle, but when playing I hardly notice a difference.

The neck on my RR is probably something like a really slim "C" bordering on a D.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Knarrenheino at #33609917

My MIJ DK2M is a D shape. The back of the neck does have a flat spot.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
But I have a feeling we're moving into "doesn't matter in the slightest" territory here, no?
Did you seriously ask that question just so you could post that?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
No, I'm really trying to understand. I was wondering about the D, flat D, U, slim U etc. stuff before, but I fail to understand it, and what difference it makes.
It would be great if any of them showed a "thin U" shape, and ideally, compared it with a D shape
they are just letters really. there are general similarities and differences, it really just depends on the manufacturer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/