Hi!

My new Blackstar amp just came in today and I'm already thinking about my next purchase . I'm looking for a 80s shredder that has:

- Pickups: HH or H (nothing else)
- Hardtail or floyd(style)
- Bolt-on neck
- Preferable a strat type body
- 1 volume, no tone
- Flashy color
- Budget: €500,- with mods

I want to have a nice base so good frets/neck, no plywood, no need for respray.
I want to use it as a backup guitar mostly and for some sweet 80s metal songs.

Some examples (in terms of configurations etc, not budget): Kramer baretta vintage/special/84/pacer, ibanez SA or RG series, modded fender (EVH style modding), Jackson dinky/soloist, LTD STD-213FR.

Lets hear your opinions
80's guitar...Kramer?
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Those kramers might be the best on paper, though that doesn't always mean much. I've got one of the older Musicyo Kramers and I didn't like it much (though those newer ones have a better spec, but again that's only on paper and doesn't mean much if the guitar's not built well).

The charvels and MIM Jacksons might be worth a look but are probably a bit over budget. I've only tried the older MIJ versions but word on the net seems to be that the MIMs are pretty decent too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You need to specify if you want fixed bridge or a Floyd. Saying you want either/or isn't very helpful. Specifying that the guitar cannot have a tone knob is a bit pointless too. You can get a guitar with one and just never use it. Or since you're going to be modding the guitar anyway, remove the tone pot and substitute something else to put in the hole. Like a coil split or a killswitch or something.

And in my opinion only having 1 humbucker in the guitar and nothing else offers no advantages and it needlessly limits what sort of tones you can get.

If you want something truly 80's get a Kramer Pacer on ebay or something.

Or get an MIJ Jackson DK2, again on ebay.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 23, 2015,
If you can live with a tone control and neck-through construction, I'd recommend a Jackson Soloist SLX, which you can get in 'slime green' or 'taxi cab yellow' colors.
look for an old Charvel from the Model series (1-6). of course any number of ibanez guitars wll do the trick as well.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Oooohhhh yeaaaahhhhh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FERNANDES-Burny-MG-120X-PAINT-X-JAPAN-HIDE-mg120-Electric-Guitar-w-gigbag-/231688572200?hash=item35f1b70d28

From Burny's site:

SPEC.
NECK : Maple, 628mm Scale, Bolt-On
FINGERBOARD : Rosewood, 24F, 350R
BODY : Mahogany 38mm
PICKUP : SH-1, DF-1
CONTROL : 1Volume, 3Way Toggle-SW., Direct Mini-SW.
BRIDGE : Tune-O-Matic & Stop Tailpiece
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 23, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You need to specify if you want fixed bridge or a Floyd. Saying you want either/or isn't very helpful. Specifying that the guitar cannot have a tone knob is a bit pointless too. You can get a guitar with one and just never use it. Or since you're going to be modding the guitar anyway, remove the tone pot and substitute something else to put in the hole. Like a coil split or a killswitch or something.

And in my opinion only having 1 humbucker in the guitar and nothing else offers no advantages and it needlessly limits what sort of tones you can get.

If you want something truly 80's get a Kramer Pacer on ebay or something.

Or get an MIJ Jackson DK2, again on ebay.

I agree about the floyd/hardtail thing, but those other things actually do make a subtle difference. some people say you get slightly better tone/sustain from only one pickup; if you only use the bridge it means you won't select the wrong pickup by accident; and no tone knob gives you a little more treble and output than having the tone knob there even if it's set to 10 (plus much like with the pickup thing, if you never use it, not having it means you can't hit it by accident).

Pretty subtle, but if you like them they may well be worth considering. And they do tend to add to the 80s vibe of the thing- plenty of players get features which are vintage-correct on more classic guitars which don't really add anything too, and no-one (or far fewer people) complains. Plus I mean not too many people complain about a les paul junior or esquire being too limited, for example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Got to get me one of these before I die...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I agree about the floyd/hardtail thing, but those other things actually do make a subtle difference. some people say you get slightly better tone/sustain from only one pickup; if you only use the bridge it means you won't select the wrong pickup by accident; and no tone knob gives you a little more treble and output than having the tone knob there even if it's set to 10 (plus much like with the pickup thing, if you never use it, not having it means you can't hit it by accident).

To be fair, the tone pot isn't a major issue - sound-wise you only need to disconnect one wire. For full '80s mojo, pull the pot out and fill the hole with something.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Dave_Mc at #33608869

I agree that only having 1 pickup and having no tone knob make a difference, but the difference is so small that any advantage that those things bring is usually completely mitigated by other external factors that come into play in a realistic playing scenario.

I recall a video were willseasyguitar talks about only having 1 pickup in the guitar offers more sustain by not having as much magnetic drag on the strings. And he conducts a bit of an experiment to test this. He uses the same guitar throughout his tests, and uses a machine to accurately pick the strings for him. And ran the test dozens of times for each variable that was changed. His result was that difference in sustain is laughable. And definitely not something worth losing a pickup over.

Pickups simply don't produce enough magnetism for the sustain loss to be apparent. He even used a dozen permanent neodymium magnets that are orders of magnitude more powerful than any guitar pickup and placed them as closely as possible to the string. While the difference was greater, there was only a couple of tenths of a second less sustain than without them.

So while the difference is there, it is so insignificant that it's just not worth considering. One can fairly assume that only having 1 pickup offers no discernable advantage.

The tone pot taking treble and output away has some more weight, but the extent of the difference it makes is only very minor and it's very inconsistent because pots generally aren't made to particularly tight tolerances. Crappy wiring with cold solder joints will make more of a difference than the pot turned all the way up to 10 as opposed to not having one in most cases.

Though if I was making a custom guitar, I'd get rid of the tone knob. Not because it makes my guitar brighter per se, but simply because I never use it in the first place. Though it isn't a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination if a guitar has one. It's fair to say that if there's less there on the guitar, then there's less to adjust by accident. But I've never found that to be an issue on any of my guitars, so it isn't a big deal to me. But YMMV.
Pretty subtle, but if you like them they may well be worth considering. And they do tend to add to the 80s vibe of the thing- plenty of players get features which are vintage-correct on more classic guitars which don't really add anything too, and no-one (or far fewer people) complains. Plus I mean not too many people complain about a les paul junior or esquire being too limited, for example.

I think it's more because those guitars are too shrouded in 'vintage vibe' and 'mojo' for people to have the guts to criticise them very much without sounding like a philistine towards other people on guitar forums.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 23, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I think it's more because those guitars are too shrouded in 'vintage vibe' and 'mojo' for people to have the guts to criticise them very much without sounding like a philistine towards other people on guitar forums.

agree with this for sure. how many guys really use those seriously. for certain songs they work great but as your only guitar i dunno seems pretty limited to me. that gibby is just a plank with a pickup the fender wasn't really used by anyone of note for any extended period. jeff beck is the only one i can think of and he didn't use it for long (jimmy page has it and he modded it)
Mod one yourself. I fancied a stripped down guitar. Took my old HSH Washburn, stripped it down, filled the cavities, switch slot and tone holes. Sprayed it up and fitted a screaming demon in it with a coil tap. No tones, no switches. Sounds awesome for just rocking out. I also feel like it's MY guitar, not just a guitar. Wouldn't part with it for the world.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
I wanna make it as simple and cheap as possible, i like neck pickups but im not going to use it on this particular guitar so its not required. I like hardtails more than trems but ive never had a floyd before so i thought it would be fun to go get a FR loaded axe. Also im not going to use the tone pots so why pay for them right?... I know it limits the guitar but it also makes it cheaper.
Quote by arjan2602 at #33609429
I wanna make it as simple and cheap as possible, i like neck pickups but im not going to use it on this particular guitar so its not required. I like hardtails more than trems but ive never had a floyd before so i thought it would be fun to go get a FR loaded axe. Also im not going to use the tone pots so why pay for them right?... I know it limits the guitar but it also makes it cheaper.

If you want to make this guitar as cheaply as possible, then avoid having a Floyd Rose. They're a lot more expensive than a hardtail. Though if you think you want one then by all means, get one. Just get a good quality one. There are things you can skimp on a guitar and get away with it, but the Floyd isn't one of them. Cheap Floyds don't stay in tune as well and a Floyd that doesn't stay in tune is self-defeating. The really good quality floyds (like the Schaller-made FR's) are expensive, but very skookum. Basically, you get what you pay for.

The tone control costs next to nothing to put on a guitar. We're talking fractions of a percent of the guitar's value here. The cost saving you might make on not having one is negligible. I get that you don't want one because you'll never use it. But the solution to that is extremely simple. Substitute it with something that's more useful, like a killswitch or a coil split switch, both of which were ideas popularised in the 80's. A hair metal machine that has them is actually very proper.

It's up to you.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 24, 2015,
+1 to that

You won't pay for a tone knob. You will pay for an FR, and in that price range a decent one will be a significant chunk of the guitar's value.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Try finding an Ibanez Roadstar. Legendary modding platforms.

One thing i found odd is your need for only a volume knob but no tone knob. Like, if it has a tone control you literally won't buy it? Or if it's HSH instead of HH you won't buy it? That's whack to me lol why wouldn't you want the extra tonal options?

edit: after seeing OP's totally flawed logic (less things means cheaper--false lol), still go with the Roadstar. It'll be cheaper than any 80s Kramer, Framus, Ibanez RG or S or any of the other options in your price range. You can get a great condition Roadstar I or II for wayyyy under 500 euros, closer to 300 which leaves you with a good chunk of coin to spend on mods
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Sep 24, 2015,
this is pretty much a no win thread. op starts out with some reasonable goals then chisels it down to nonsense. thread devolves to arguing about the price of a knob.

fwiw, i suggest a charvel model 3. first model with a fr. but the op won't spring for it, and no one will really care, but at the end of the day it'll need no mods and then there's that neck. that really awesome neck. there's a reason that those necks alone cost a proper bit o'wedge used. they make a charvel a shred machine on steroids. (imo)
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 24, 2015,
Quote by Acϵ♠
Try finding an Ibanez Roadstar. Legendary modding platforms.

One thing i found odd is your need for only a volume knob but no tone knob. Like, if it has a tone control you literally won't buy it? Or if it's HSH instead of HH you won't buy it? That's whack to me lol why wouldn't you want the extra tonal options?

edit: after seeing OP's totally flawed logic (less things means cheaper--false lol), still go with the Roadstar. It'll be cheaper than any 80s Kramer, Framus, Ibanez RG or S or any of the other options in your price range. You can get a great condition Roadstar I or II for wayyyy under 500 euros, closer to 300 which leaves you with a good chunk of coin to spend on mods

Well I'm looking for this particular kind of guitar, but if i find an awesome HSH or guitar with a tone knob i will buy it. But I'll propably mod it and use the removed parts for other projects \m/
Quote by ad_works
thread devolves to arguing about the price of a knob.

Such is the way of the world.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Your post just screams Charvel. Pretty much an original Strat with compound radius/jumbo fret shredder neck, Duncan pickups and original Floyd. And just one volume. Downside, they're €700+ new. But considering the specs, that's a steal, you get the whole package and there's no need for modding, and used you should get them within your budget.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Really depends, for all styles that I play, I almost never use the neck pickup. Occasionally, I want a fat clean sound, but that's rare and wouldn't be missed really. Bridge pup and volume (and maybe FR) is enough for me. I don't care much about sustain, my 2-pup guitars seem to have similar or sometimes better sustain than my 1-pup Jackson, but in theory a 1-pup guitar should be cheaper.
it really depends on what you play. for what i play, one knob is an advantage. it's less stuff for drunken moshers and amp'ed up bouncers to slam into.

also, the pointy headstock of a charvel makes an excellent crowd lance.
Pointy headstock of a Charvel? It's just a regular Strat headstock

edit: at least current models
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
(a) I agree that only having 1 pickup and having no tone knob make a difference, but the difference is so small that any advantage that those things bring is usually completely mitigated by other external factors that come into play in a realistic playing scenario.

I recall a video were willseasyguitar talks about only having 1 pickup in the guitar offers more sustain by not having as much magnetic drag on the strings. And he conducts a bit of an experiment to test this. He uses the same guitar throughout his tests, and uses a machine to accurately pick the strings for him. And ran the test dozens of times for each variable that was changed. His result was that difference in sustain is laughable. And definitely not something worth losing a pickup over.

Pickups simply don't produce enough magnetism for the sustain loss to be apparent. He even used a dozen permanent neodymium magnets that are orders of magnitude more powerful than any guitar pickup and placed them as closely as possible to the string. While the difference was greater, there was only a couple of tenths of a second less sustain than without them.

So while the difference is there, it is so insignificant that it's just not worth considering. One can fairly assume that only having 1 pickup offers no discernable advantage.

The tone pot taking treble and output away has some more weight, but the extent of the difference it makes is only very minor and it's very inconsistent because pots generally aren't made to particularly tight tolerances. Crappy wiring with cold solder joints will make more of a difference than the pot turned all the way up to 10 as opposed to not having one in most cases.

Though if I was making a custom guitar, I'd get rid of the tone knob. Not because it makes my guitar brighter per se, but simply because I never use it in the first place. Though it isn't a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination if a guitar has one. It's fair to say that if there's less there on the guitar, then there's less to adjust by accident. But I've never found that to be an issue on any of my guitars, so it isn't a big deal to me. But YMMV.

(b) I think it's more because those guitars are too shrouded in 'vintage vibe' and 'mojo' for people to have the guts to criticise them very much without sounding like a philistine towards other people on guitar forums.

(a) I agree with you that it's very subtle, I'm just saying that for the people who care it might be worth it. A lot of things are pretty subtle, but that doesn't mean they're pointless.

I think the tone knob being out of the circuit does lead to a fair bit more brightness/sparkle, noticeably so. The output, I'm not sure how much difference that makes, but the brightness/sparkle is pretty noticeable I think. On the other things I agree with you, probably not worth it for me personally- but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth it for someone.

(b) LOL agreed
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think the tone knob being out of the circuit does lead to a fair bit more brightness/sparkle, noticeably so. The output, I'm not sure how much difference that makes, but the brightness/sparkle is pretty noticeable I think. On the other things I agree with you, probably not worth it for me personally- but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth it for someone.

^Yeah, compare a 1MΩ pot with a 500kΩ and there's already a substantial difference (a big part of the oft-maligned difference between the sound of a Jag and of a Strat); obviously as the value increases the change gets exponentially smaller, but essentially removing the tone pot is equivalent to replacing the up-to-500kΩ (or whatever value) resistor controlling how much treble goes to ground with one of infinite resistance. I wouldn't go for it myself but there's a very real difference.

It's not my area of expertise, but in the current Kramer range the Kramer '84 stands out as fitting the bill if you can get one within your budget - Duncan JB, OFR (though I think in this case that's code for the Korean made model - still a solid trem from what I've heard but I'll welcome any correction), comes in Really Fucking Yellow and Really Fucking Red.
If Dave_Mc doesn't necessarily trust the Kramers I'd say try before you buy, but it seems like the obvious option if you can swing one on your budget.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
^ Nah to be fair I haven't tried the newer ones, mine's maybe 12 years old (maybe slightly more). The new ones may well be fine. I know (also pretty old) the richie sambora-style one I tried ages back (one of the assembled in the USA ones, with the Schaller OFR etc.) was pretty nice, and word on the net was that the MusicYo era USA ones were actually pretty nice too.

So yeah, I'm not saying they're bad, just that personally I'd like to try first. Which is probably going to be fairly difficult unfortunately. I agree with you that on paper they're probably the ideal choice, just "on paper" doesn't always equate to "in the real world"

And yeah agreed about the tone knob. I know my strat has a no load tone knob and you can tell a pretty big difference between it at the notched position (out of the circuit) and the notch just off (like a regular tone knob on 10). I hear a similar brightness on my guitars with no tone knobs.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try to keep an eye out for an old 80s Kramer on the used market. If not check out there newer Pacer Classic. I just picked one up about a month ago for an insane deal and it is incredible. Also look at the MIJ Jackson dinkys aswell as the BC Rich Gunslinger. They are all superb guitars and very very easy to mod for your liking
Kramer Baretta, just a thing of beauty, JB pickup on the bridge and nothing else but the volume, R2 Floyd locking nut, string spacing good for fast shredding, really nice body shape, perhaps even nicer and more eye pleasing than a Stratocaster.
Quote by jakemcgovern21
Try to keep an eye out for an old 80s Kramer on the used market. If not check out there newer Pacer Classic. I just picked one up about a month ago for an insane deal and it is incredible. Also look at the MIJ Jackson dinkys aswell as the BC Rich Gunslinger. They are all superb guitars and very very easy to mod for your liking

Those MIJ Jacksons or especially new Korean made the B.C. Riches aren't comparable in quality to the old Kramers.Those mid 80's Barettas were comparable to American strats.
Quote by King Shredder
Those MIJ Jacksons or especially new Korean made the B.C. Riches aren't comparable in quality to the old Kramers.Those mid 80's Barettas were comparable to American strats.

Was just recommending cheap guitars from my experience! I really want to try out an 80s Barrett a. Might make it my next guitar!
Quote by King Shredder

The MIJ Pro Jacksons are made in the same factory that made the 90's Professional Series that put Jackson on the map (They were pretty much Jackson USA guitars with slightly cheaper hardware at a fraction of the price). I think with some hardware changes they can be pretty comparable. Fundamentally they played brilliantly and were very consistently made.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 11, 2015,
Quote by King Shredder

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The MIJ Pro Jacksons are made in the same factory that made the 90's Professional Series that put Jackson on the map (They were pretty much Jackson USA guitars with slightly cheaper hardware at a fraction of the price). I think with some hardware changes they can be pretty comparable. Fundamentally they played brilliantly and were very consistently made.

Kramer production line guitars used necks made by ESP in Japan and fretted in the USA at the time ESP was more well known as a high end replacement parts company than as guitar builders, by 1987 they were making both the bodies and necks for the US production line models which were being assembled in Neptune NJ. using the ESP parts.

So in 1987 the F1000 and the Baretta had only 3 differences, the pickup the frets and tuners , the American had a Duncan JB and Schallers, the ESP model did not, both came stock with an OFR.

I picked up this 1987 Kramer F1000 for $250 USD, it is the import version of the American Baretta, and unjustly they don't get the respect they deserve When I bought this one the pickup had already been swapped for a JB, the tuners work fine so no need to upgrade the fretwork is top notch as well as would be expected from ESP.

I love it my friend has a mint condition 1985 Baretta American and it's impossible to find a difference between the two quality and playing wise.

For what it's worth I have 5 Chushin Gakki made Jacksons with the exception of the factory pickups and tremolo they are all comparable to both the US and import Kramer's I have played.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 13, 2015,