Stupid question -

Maybe it's my playing. I started on electric, switched to acoustic, and am now back focused on electric after taking at least a year unplugged.

Now I notice with my current setup, I'm getting a ton of noise; the slightest imperfection in my playing (dragging my hand against a string for example) and I hear it on the amp.

Is this my bad technique i need to work out, or is there a pedal to help cancel the noise?

Switch to active pickups?

how do active musicians deal with it; mute the strings when they're not playing and just practice technique?

thanks in advance,

Boyd
Turn down the gain, play cleaner.

Also, if you have a DAW with some plugins and an interface, try recording yourself playing with overdrive/distortion from a plugin (like an amp sim), then play it back with the amp sim off. Listening back in clean should give you a better idea of how clean your playing really is.
If you have Single Coils,it's obvious.If you have Humbuckers,reduce the gain or change the pickups for some Seymour Duncans. Solved.
Cutting the volume at the guitar a little will help. But you need to keep working on your technique—make sure not to slide your fretting hand around, and work on muting.
Quote by boyd98

Is this my bad technique i need to work out, or is there a pedal to help cancel the noise?

Switch to active pickups?

It's your playing.

Active pickups won't help a thing. Swapping them out for Seymour Duncans won't help a thing.

This is a technique issue. And turn down the gain.
Quote by frecebutmito
If you have Single Coils,it's obvious.If you have Humbuckers,reduce the gain or change the pickups for some Seymour Duncans. Solved.

That's kind of like saying "get an Ibanez".

And yes TS it sounds like technique. Work on your muting, both with your right and left hand on strings you arent playing. Less gain will help but if you are muting perfectly it shouldn't really matter.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Turn down the gain, play cleaner.

Bingo.

Quote by frecebutmito

He's got pick noise, not hum. Pickups wouldn't make a difference.

Quote by dspellman
It's your playing.

Active pickups won't help a thing. Swapping them out for Seymour Duncans won't help a thing.

This is a technique issue. And turn down the gain.

Just to reiterate.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER