i understand the parallel, but i dont understand the purpose or what the name of the 2nd position is on the 5 way configuration. My guitar has this pickup configuration but i dont understand what its supposed to sound like or what its called

is the parallel(4th) supposed to sound like a single coil? then whats the 2nd position supposed to sound like? which one sounds better for playing a song that requires single coil? Strat or tele style single coils...
i guess my question is also, which sounds more like a strat single coil? i know none of them are close, but which is closest?
it's a coil split. it should sound closer to a single coil (it'll be lower output and a bit brighter/twangier). That particular setting will likely sound not a million miles off the middle position on a telecaster.

parallel sounds like parallel wiring. i don't have tons of experience with it but it sounds to me more like a lower output, brighter humbucker than a single coil, but i've seen plenty of people say here that it sounds more like a single coil to them, so

it's really up to you- which sounds closer to you? the splits are closer to single coils, but they're more like the middle position on a tele rather than anything on a strat (though may well still be close enough). The parallel one is closer to a humbucker, but it's in a position that the strat has, so might sound closer to your ears (or not). It just depends, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sorry but none of those options of going to give you strat or tele tones. as mentioned a coil split would get you in the ball park but that isn't an option on your diagram. closest is position 4 which might sound like a tele in the middle position but that won't get you the more classic tones i'm guessing you're after.
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's a coil split. it should sound closer to a single coil (it'll be lower output and a bit brighter/twangier). That particular setting will likely sound not a million miles off the middle position on a telecaster.

parallel sounds like parallel wiring. i don't have tons of experience with it but it sounds to me more like a lower output, brighter humbucker than a single coil, but i've seen plenty of people say here that it sounds more like a single coil to them, so

it's really up to you- which sounds closer to you? the splits are closer to single coils, but they're more like the middle position on a tele rather than anything on a strat (though may well still be close enough). The parallel one is closer to a humbucker, but it's in a position that the strat has, so might sound closer to your ears (or not). It just depends, really.

i thought the coil split meant that its only using one coil.. not two at a time but from different pickups
^ I think it just means splitting a humbucker into one of its coils. I don't think it matters whether you have multiple humbuckers on at once.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?