Hello, fellow musicians! Recently, I managed to sell my Marshall amp, after months of posting ads on multiple fronts. Now, I'm faced with a dilemma: should I invest in a multi-effect guitar processor like the Digitech one, or is it more useful to invest in a interface, maybe some monitors and buy software guitar effects such as Guitar Rig?

On one hand, buying the interface and software will let me program lots of new and better effects than my current processor (Boss ME-25). But, on the other hand, live performances will suffer due to the lack of said programmed effects. Another problem is that the Digitech gear is kinda' out my price range for now, so I should wait a couple of months until I can gather the money to buy it. But I can afford the interface and software costs right now.

So, where do you think I should invest my money in?
Zoom G3.

Excellent quality effects unit AND an audio interface.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Depends.

You wanna record stuff, possibly even microphones?
Then get an audio interface.
I'd much rather get a mackie onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture ex than a scarlett.
Or, if you're low on cash and only care about guitars, get an unbranded guitar link and call it a day.

You want fx and you can't be bothered with using your computer?
Definitely get a multi-fx processor.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I like the RP1000 for live and recording use. The Scarlett is just an interface and nothing more, but it'll sound good paired with Guitar Rig or something similar. I guess it really depends on if you're going to play live or not.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
Quote by Spambot_2
Depends.

You wanna record stuff, possibly even microphones?
Then get an audio interface.
I'd much rather get a mackie onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture ex than a scarlett.
Or, if you're low on cash and only care about guitars, get an unbranded guitar link and call it a day.

You want fx and you can't be bothered with using your computer?
Definitely get a multi-fx processor.

Thanks for the reply. I don't plan on recording using microphones in the near future so -1 for the interface purchase. As for the Digitech processor, if I can use it as an usb interface for my guitar with little lag, I think I could get the best of both worlds. I do wonder though about the monitoring situation with the rp1000, as I do not own a soundcard. Maybe I can use the Digitech as a basic interface by putting it in bypass mode.
Last edited by Horique at Sep 24, 2015,
Just plug a set of powered computer speakers on the RP1000 headphone output. You can monitor with no latency.
Quote by fly135
Just plug a set of powered computer speakers on the RP1000 headphone output. You can monitor with no latency.

Yes, I know I can do that, but i wanna know if I can monitor the sound after it has been processed by the PC, without hearing both sounds (the clean bypassed sound and the processed sound). I there any way to listen just to that?
On the interface front: The 2i2 Doesn't have any pad switches so a guitar will overload the signal look at the 2i4 instead if you go that route, or buy a DI box along with the 2i2.
Quote by diabolical
I've found the Digitech one of the worst sounding in the biz, any reason why you're locked into it?
Line6, Boss, Vox, etc... all have usb interfaces now.

To be honest, Vox and Boss products seem to have too much of a fuzzy distorsion for my taste and Line6 stuff is out of my price range. Also, I got to test a Rp1000 and it was quite pleasing
I'd go with the Digitech before the interface, but I'd go with most other MultiFX before the Digitech
Quote by dspellman
I'd go with the Digitech before the interface, but I'd go with most other MultiFX before the Digitech

Why is that?
Quote by Horique
Why is that?

because digitech is behind the curve on MFX. quite a bit off now.

line 6 X3 lives are pretty good, and used i would guess there is one in your price range.

i recently looked into some of the newer zoom stuff, and i was pleasantly surprised, they have come a long way since i had my zoom processors. they have a lot of features too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
because digitech is behind the curve on MFX. quite a bit off now.

line 6 X3 lives are pretty good, and used i would guess there is one in your price range.

i recently looked into some of the newer zoom stuff, and i was pleasantly surprised, they have come a long way since i had my zoom processors. they have a lot of features too.

Excuse my laziness, but can you recommend me a couple of processors to start researching?
You probably listened to one of the overhyped Digitech patches. All manufacturers program some sounds in there and I've found that I almost never use them.

Well the Boss, etc. probably needed a little bit of more tweaking.

I'd start with Vox Tonelab EX or ST series, the new ones have USB connectivity and are probably the easiest to tweak and sound the most natural to me. The new Boss GT-001 also seems like a good choice if you don't want it on the floor:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GT001/
Quote by Horique
Excuse my laziness, but can you recommend me a couple of processors to start researching?

i referenced the pod x3 live, and it is pretty solid overall. i had one at my house for a while (a few years ago), and liked it overall. the pod HD's i have less experience with, but i thought the amp sims were better. but the POD X3's are getting pretty cheap on the used market.

as far as boss, i haven't played their most recent series, IIRC the last one i tried was a GT-8 (may be wrong), i can honestly say i didn't own it, but it didn't seem as intuitive as the POD's were for programming. maybe it is because i am used to POD's but the amp sims were its shortfall. i haven't tried the GT10/GT100's.

with zoom (i will be honest) i didn't think they were that good and was biased against them from the older pedal that i had. however, i played the G5 and was pleasantly surprised. i wouldn't go with anything older from zoom assuming they were like my old unit.

IMO the biggest thing that is the difference are the amp sims (at least from my experience). a REALLY important thing is the 4 cable method. if you don't have it i think it is a handicap.

if you are on a budget i would get a pod X3 live. after that, maybe a zoom g5, or a boss unit.

_____

this is my experience, i am no means an expert on MFX, and i don't have a ton of time on all of them, but i have used/heard enough to have solid opinions.

also you may be different, but i think POD's have the best actual interface for programming effects.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

with zoom (i will be honest) i didn't think they were that good and was biased against them from the older pedal that i had. however, i played the G5 and was pleasantly surprised. i wouldn't go with anything older from zoom assuming they were like my old unit

This is very true. Zooms older units are pretty cheap & nasty, they really stepped up their game when the brought out the G3/G5. I think they realised they couldn't competed with the cheap Chinese brands, so they figured they had to take on Line 6 etc.

IMO, the new G series matches the POD for quality, but wins for usability and features. I've never had a multi fx that is so simple!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I own both the RP500 and the Scarlett 2i4, very similar to the RP1000 and Scarlett 2i2, I got my RP500 not too long ago, after my RP90 broke after around 7 years of use, played around with it, made some recordings, then bought the 2i4 which sounded a lot better when recording and using amp VSTs and all that stuff.

You should buy the RP1000 if you want to use it live with an amp, the stompboxes will be very useful. It may be a little outdated (sounds fine to me to be honest), but you can get awesome tones out of it.

You should buy the 2i4, not the 2i2, if you're planning to record something and play with VSTs on your PC.

The USB port on the RPs is 1.0, kind of outdated.