I've always assumed that to learn guitar one must avoid looking at the hands when playing scales and forming chords. HOWEVER, I've recently stepped up my efforts to become more accurate, deciding to trash this rule since my progress had stalled. And VOILA!...suddenly a new superpower emerged. I could control my ring and pinky finger much better, and was much more accurate when "flying blind". Does anyone else practice in this way? I guess the main reason I began looking at my fret hand at work is because guys on the stage and on vids are seen to be looking at THEIR fret hands. I am cautious to practice with both eyes wide, AND eyes shut, however.
Quote by pointnplink
I've always assumed that to learn guitar one must avoid looking at the hands when playing scales and forming chords.

That's kind of a stupid assumption. I mean, it's nice to learn to play without looking, but first you need to actually learn to play. It's like trying to navigate a maze. You can do it blindfolded, but you need to learn the maze first. Was ein dummkopf.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
exactly what theo said

also, Ich bin ein reißwecke
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
This falls into the category of over thinking it. Just play, and there is a thing called finger memory where not thinking about it the fingers fall into place. How does that happen? Practice practice, practice! Hell there are times I just shut my eyes for I am falling into some zone and doing it without even thinking about it.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
It doesn't really make a different you start off looking at the fretboard then some stuff becomes second nature to you and you don't have to look but depends what it is I wouldn't overthink it

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Eastwinn
thought this was gonna be about the movie

I'm glad it wasn't. Worst movie Kubrick made by a country mile. On the other hand he didn't get the final cut since he croaked, so I don't blame him too much.
Hey, it was an assumption further supported by a guitar teacher I had once, and he had been teaching for years. But I finally realized the same thing, theogonia777. You have to give your digits the opportunity to access the feeling of a successful chord formation. Without that tactile set-point, you're lost. However, (patting myself on the back here), I did make some progress with eyes wide shut.
it's pr much the only kubrick i don't ever have interest in watching ever
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Pastafarian96
exactly what theo said

also, Ich bin ein reißwecke

You little boys stop playing with the online translator! կեղծ!
Last edited by pointnplink at Sep 27, 2015,
gd film
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by pointnplink
You little boys stop playing with the online translator! կեղծ!

I didn't use the translator, I am fully aware of what that sentence says, even if it is broken
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
after reading OP, I can say that if I was taking a piano recital seriously, I would make sure I could play the piece with closed eyes.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Pastafarian96
I didn't use the translator, I am fully aware of what that sentence says, even if it is broken

Busted.