I have a late 90's/early 2000's Dean Z that I absolutely love. It has some random pickup in the bridge that was there when I got it - no idea what it is. I have been looking at either the Seymour Duncan JB, Duncan Distortion, or Dimarzio Super Distortion. I mainly play hard rock/metal. Iron Maiden, Pantera, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, etc. I have a Valveking 112 combo going to an Orange PPC212 cab at the moment, my Laney IRT60 head will be delivered in a couple weeks that will be used with the Orange 212.

What would you recommend for the bridge pickup? Anything else you'd recommend for the neck for good clean tones? I've read the SD Jazz is a great neck pickup, but any other opinions would be great. Thanks!
what's your budget and location (just country, don't post your address!)? that affects prices and value. But you're probably not going to go too far wrong with what you're currently looking at.

only thing is, if you can thole, i'd maybe wait until the ironheart arrives, that way you'll better appreciate exactly what you need your new pickups to do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I run Dimarzio Super Distortions(bridge)/PAF(neck) In all of my guitars and absolutely love them.
They're run through my custom JCM800 based amp.
I mainly play thrash (Metallica, Slayer, Whiplash) and they slay for that stuff, as well as stuff like Ozzy and Dio and the like.

The Super Distortion has a really nice bite and a nice cunky midrange and tight bass response, and the PAF does cleans great. Really smooth, but bright cleans, and really smooth leads.
i really like super distortions, but they may be a little 'thrashy' for pantera and rage against the machine. they are a little more vintage (but not quite vintage) than some of the others you have listed.

i the JB is good as an all-around choice. i am personally not huge a fan, but a lot of people like them. undeniably so, there have been some seriously good tones that have been recorded on them though.

as far as the neck, i MUCH prefer the '59 for the neck over the jazz.

FWIW my favorite neck pickup (whilst different) is the dimarzio liquifire.

i was recently messing around with a pearly gates that was in an HH strat at my church, and it was pretty sweet. i haven't played it on any of my rigs, but it was pretty nice, but what doesn't sound good in front of a matchless and a 65 amps. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
USA in Indiana. Budget is a non issue. I looked up what Dave was using for Rust in Peace and it looks like he was using a JB and something else in the neck. That's what I am gunning for. Thanks again guys.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
USA in Indiana. Budget is a non issue. I looked up what Dave was using for Rust in Peace and it looks like he was using a JB and something else in the neck. That's what I am gunning for. Thanks again guys.

FYI - mustaine has a custom set of pickups now. they are SD livewires. i haven't tried them though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
FYI - mustaine has a custom set of pickups now. they are SD livewires. i haven't tried them though.

Yeah, I'm looking more for the sound he had earlier on. Holy wars is one of my favorite songs ever lol.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
Yeah, I'm looking more for the sound he had earlier on. Holy wars is one of my favorite songs ever lol.

damn i haven't listened to that in a long time. i just turned it on.

i would say super distortion or JB for sure.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The Jazz is a great neck pickup, which is clean and clear & sounds great with distortion. For the bridge, I like the JB (classic 1980s metal) or the Custom, which has tighter lows. The Distortion is a good choice too, and has enough highs to cut through any mix.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
The Jazz is a great neck pickup, which is clean and clear & sounds great with distortion. For the bridge, I like the JB (classic 1980s metal) or the Custom, which has tighter lows. The Distortion is a good choice too, and has enough highs to cut through any mix.

Yeah, that's exactly what I am leaning towards. Zebra colored JB bridge and Jazz neck
yeah i think the word on the net is that the JB's specs have changed over time (maybe a couple of times), but i'm guessing if that's the type of tone you're going for you probably won't go too far wrong with a jb.

there's not much between the jazz and 59, i like them both. if pushed, i'd say the 59 is maybe more a bit of a jack of all trades, while the jazz is more aimed at specific things (jazzier cleans and holds together and sounds a bit more fluid under distortion for shreddier leads). but each will do what the other will do, sort of thing, just each one does some things slightly better. if that makes sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just ordered them from a local store. $5 more than I'd pay online, but he'll install them for real cheap for me. He asked which guitar I'm putting them into and suggested getting the tb-4 model over the sh-4. I don't have a tremolo on the Dean Z but after researching some people with Gibson explorer's and the like needed the tb-4 as well. He's a good tech, so hopefully he knew what he was talking about!
Sweet thanks. I didn't even know there was a difference until he said that and then I was second guessing myself lol. 7 days or so until they come in. Hopefully I can get them put in next Saturday!