Hi guys!

First post on here, so please be gentle! Lol.

I'm giving 'learning the guitar' another shot as I was having lessons the other year then moved into a small block of flats, and I was too thoughtful towards the neighbours, and I was learning on an acoustic (Norman B15 to be precise........I hate it!).

Anyhow, I've found myself with a new hunger for learning (and I've bought my own house!).

So, I live in the UK, and have been 'gifted' a 97/98 CIJ Fender Jaguar. Other than the 'tremolo arm' spinning freely, it's in great condition! I also blind-bought (I know I know, stupid thing to do) a 2014 Fender Select Port Orford Strat.

My question is: What amp would you guys recommend for a newbie like me with said guitars? As for musical taste.....T-Rex, RHCP, The Darkness, Spin Doctors (2 Princes)......my mind has gone blank now!

I guess I'm looking for a good starter amp that would 'work' for both guitars. As I'm just learning, I have no 'needs' so to speak. I was considering a VOX 20+........?

I have got an old Marlin HML 50RC, but it's got a host of issues and is probably a bit big anyhow for what I want it for! Plus there's no headphone output on it!

Thanks guys, look forward to your replies.

B1akes
Standard protocol...
How much? Where are you located? New or used?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Since you're just starting out, not gigging, and just need something small for jamming around the house - something like your standard Line 6 / Peavey Vypyr / Fender Mustang modeling amps would work perfectly for you.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by bobafettacheese
Standard protocol...
How much? Where are you located? New or used?

£150 ($230)
UK
Preferably new

Doesn't have to be anything startling, just a good newbie amp which will work well with both guitars.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Since you're just starting out, not gigging, and just need something small for jamming around the house - something like your standard Line 6 / Peavey Vypyr / Fender Mustang modeling amps would work perfectly for you.

Cheers pal

Was looking at the Fender Mustang range along with the VOX.

Heard good things about the Peavey Vyper.......but I think it's a tad out of my price range since my car's bloody service light came on!!
vox valvetronix should work pretty well for that, i'd have thought (but i haven't tried the newer version). the mustang might be worth a look too, but i haven't tried it. i haven't tried the vypyr either, but from what i hear they're more aimed at heavier stuff (much like the roland cubes).

so basically if you want to hear advice from someone who hasn't tried anything you're looking at you've come to the right place
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you can find the extra cash a JCA2212C is definitely worth a look.

http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca2212c/ £270 new, may find them used for less.

Tone for miles, and will carry you well past beginner stages too. Just use the volume control
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Sep 24, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
vox valvetronix should work pretty well for that, i'd have thought (but i haven't tried the newer version). the mustang might be worth a look too, but i haven't tried it. i haven't tried the vypyr either, but from what i hear they're more aimed at heavier stuff (much like the roland cubes).

so basically if you want to hear advice from someone who hasn't tried anything you're looking at you've come to the right place

Haha! That made me smirk! Cheers though