Hi there,

so I was cleaning my guitar when I thought I should take a look at the screws and lockers(?) of my locking nut when I realise they are rusty as shit. The screws have green rust around the rails and I managed to take some out, but not all of it. Any idea of how to clean them properly?

thanks in advance
is it just the screws that are rusty?

Usually it's easier to just replace them. They're dirt cheap. You can try and attack them with a wire brush and some elbow grease though and keep them as spares. Locking nut bolts can strip easily, so spares are always good to have.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Buy a bottle of CLR. Drop the nuts in a glass, pour in enough CLR to cover them, leave it overnight, and clean them up with a toothbrush tomorrow. Try cleaning the holes out with a Q-tip and Liquid Wrench while you're at it.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
is it just the screws that are rusty?

Usually it's easier to just replace them. They're dirt cheap. You can try and attack them with a wire brush and some elbow grease though and keep them as spares. Locking nut bolts can strip easily, so spares are always good to have.

ok, thanks for the advice, i'll take care of it

Quote by jpnyc
Buy a bottle of CLR. Drop the nuts in a glass, pour in enough CLR to cover them, leave it overnight, and clean them up with a toothbrush tomorrow. Try cleaning the holes out with a Q-tip and Liquid Wrench while you're at it.

sorry man but i do not know which product are those or if there are any equivalents near where i live :/
Last edited by Diego Carnero at Sep 24, 2015,
Quote by Diego Carnero
ok, thanks for the advice, i'll take care of it

sorry man but i do not know which product are those or if there are any equivalents near where i live :/

i haven't tried jpnyc said, but CLR is Calcuim Lyme Rust in case you didn't know what he was referring to.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/