What do you think of charity chuggers?

No, not the old dears you see working in a charity shop, or the volunteers in the supermarket holding a collection pot. I'm talking about the charity chuggers who try to invade your home and accost you on the street. Not volunteers, but contractors from other companies who are making profit from charities?
If I want to give to charity, I can do it without a sizable chunk of my money going to an(other) annoying middle-man

But I don't, because I'm an awful person
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Shitty. I don't really know how to differentiate between a genuine volunteer and a worker who's being hired to do it, though, as when people try and talk to me in the street, I pretend I'm deaf or Russian and avoid talking to them.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
...Okay, now I'm picturing a bunch of frat dudes in neon hats, gym shorts, and tank tops chugging kegs of beer while people donate to see who passes out first. And as hilarious as that sounds, I'm pretty sure that's not what what a charity chugger is.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193 at #33610046
...Okay, now I'm picturing a bunch of frat dudes in neon hats, gym shorts, and tank tops chugging kegs of beer while people donate to see who passes out first. And as hilarious as that sounds, I'm pretty sure that's not what what a charity chugger is.

I'll give a dollar for every beer you shotgun
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Problem is some people are too polite to say no and just go along with the sales pitch. A portion of the money will be going to a good cause, but the street dudes are generally students working hard to get their commission.

There's concern about vulnerable people such as the elderly being easy targets (although pensioners have always been the most charitable demographic), often they'll just be grateful for a chat. Being guided into setting up direct debits seems off to me though.

Saw some concern in the news recently;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34111788
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3084045/PLATELL-S-PEOPLE-Despicable-charities-preying-elderly.html

My brother has aspergers and at one point sponsored half an African village and a Panda.
It no longer writes to us :c
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
Problem is some people are too polite to say no and just go along with the sales pitch. A portion of the money will be going to a good cause, but the street dudes are generally students working to get their commission.

There's concern about vulnerable people such as the elderly being easy targets (although pensioners have always been the most charitable demographic), often they'll just be grateful for a chat. Being guided into setting up direct debits seems off to me though.

Saw some concern in the news recently;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34111788
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3084045/PLATELL-S-PEOPLE-Despicable-charities-preying-elderly.html

My brother has aspergers and at one point sponsored half an African village and a Panda.
It no longer writes to us :c

I had a job interview once (when I was madly applying for jobs) and it was for chugging. Safely to say it was not for me because its a vile business practise in my opinion. The head of the company took me around with him for a day knocking on peoples doors trying to extort money out of "target demographics" like pensioners and it is honestly quite disgusting the sales tactics they used. I left half way through the day because it was gross.
I quite happily slam the door in the face of any uninvited people to my home, especially salesmen. Takes all the control I have not to slam the door in the face of the little girl next door when she comes around selling Girl Scout Cookies.

Goddamn Malamars....
I've done this for a large environmental group and a large gay rights group.

Man's gotta eat, Mr. Lahey.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I try and explain to them how the aims of whatever charity they're collecting for are in direct opposition to my organisation's plans for world domination, so there's no point in me giving them money.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by ErikLensherr
I've done this for a large environmental group and a large gay rights group.

Man's gotta eat, Mr. Lahey.

u s cu m b a g u
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I try and explain to them how the aims of whatever charity they're collecting for are in direct opposition to my organisation's plans for world domination, so there's no point in me giving them money.

If anything, what little money they do collect is just going to prolong their suffering.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I had a job interview once (when I was madly applying for jobs) and it was for chugging. Safely to say it was not for me because its a vile business practise in my opinion. The head of the company took me around with him for a day knocking on peoples doors trying to extort money out of "target demographics" like pensioners and it is honestly quite disgusting the sales tactics they used. I left half way through the day because it was gross.

I had a similar thing where I thought I was going for a 'marketing' job and it ended being door-to-door sales. Spent the day targeting council houses almost exclusively inhabited by mentally-disabled people trying to sell them Sky.

Disgusting.
Quote by RAB11
I had a similar thing where I thought I was going for a 'marketing' job and it ended being door-to-door sales. Spent the day targeting council houses almost exclusively inhabited by mentally-disabled people trying to sell them Sky.

Disgusting.

Yeah mine was literally the same lol it was a horrible feeling although it was good to see the people involved getting shouted at by people sometimes
I get assaulted by these folks all the time. They'll run up to me from across the street. I guess I just look like someone with a guilt complex and too much money. They tend to lose interest after I tell them I'm unemployed.

Are they volunteers or do they get paid to stand there? If donations go towards their paycheck, that makes me less likely to donate.
Last edited by sashki at Sep 25, 2015,
chiggers though, nahmean?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by sashki at #33611431
I get assaulted by these folks all the time. They'll run up to me from across the street. I guess I just look like someone with a guilt complex and too much money. They tend to lose interest after I tell them I'm unemployed.

Are they volunteers or do they get paid to stand there? If donations go towards their paycheck, that makes me less likely to donate.

IME, it's not on commission, but you have to get a certain amount of money per week to make quota and keep your job.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
yawn. i prefer black guys that aggressively call you racist if you dont buy their black pamphlet (even if you are black), fake buddhist monks and crazy sticker ladies trying to get my money.

although when i was 19 i did try and see how long i could bait one of those charity scammers before they would realize i was just fucking with them and give up.
Quote by Thrashtastic15 at #33611913
yawn. i prefer black guys that aggressively call you racist if you dont buy their black pamphlet (even if you are black), fake buddhist monks and crazy sticker ladies trying to get my money.

although when i was 19 i did try and see how long i could bait one of those charity scammers before they would realize i was just fucking with them and give up.

DID YOU KNOW beethoven was BLACK? SALT is the most dangerous thing a human can consume! coincidence that SALT is WHITE?
I think there are concerns about some techniques (ie house cold-calling, selling details, targetting vulnerable people) but I also think it's very sad people have such anger towards charities trying to raise money on the streets rather than towards the hundreds of people who walk past every day trying to ignore them who could very easily give.

To be honest I think a lot of it is just projection of guilt - people trying desperately to rationalise and explain away why they do nothing. People's basic issue is they know if they were stopped and actually asked "why don't you give money to help?" the answer is simply "I don't want to". I'm sure everyone who walks past would give money if they were volunteers, right? Or if they just stood at the side and didn't say anything, right?
No, they wouldn't. People feel defensive because they're faced with their own hypocrisy and guilt, and they don't like that. So they get angry at the person who makes them feel that way.

I don't understand the issue with collectors on the street being paid either - what's the problem with a charity investing in fundraising? It's not a useless waste of time part of what they do, it's an absolute key part of how they actually keep running.
Quote by MadClownDisease
I think there are concerns about some techniques (ie house cold-calling, selling details, targetting vulnerable people) but I also think it's very sad people have such anger towards charities trying to raise money on the streets rather than towards the hundreds of people who walk past every day trying to ignore them who could very easily give.

To be honest I think a lot of it is just projection of guilt - people trying desperately to rationalise and explain away why they do nothing. People's basic issue is they know if they were stopped and actually asked "why don't you give money to help?" the answer is simply "I don't want to". I'm sure everyone who walks past would give money if they were volunteers, right? Or if they just stood at the side and didn't say anything, right?
No, they wouldn't. People feel defensive because they're faced with their own hypocrisy and guilt, and they don't like that. So they get angry at the person who makes them feel that way.

I don't understand the issue with collectors on the street being paid either - what's the problem with a charity investing in fundraising? It's not a useless waste of time part of what they do, it's an absolute key part of how they actually keep running.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10224104/30-charity-chiefs-paid-more-than-100000.html

This is the issue.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by MadClownDisease

The problem isn't with charity workers on the street asking for money it's marketing companies being contract to obtain donations via debit card details, and skimming off a portion of their earnings for their personal profit.

No problem with chucking a couple of quid in a bucket held by an old dear on a cold Saturday morning in down. Problem with a young marketing professional accosting you for your bank account details to pay their salary.

Also in bold is a load of completely sanctimonious bs.
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Sep 27, 2015,
tbh people DO get hella defensive when their real hypocrisies get pointed out

not excluding myself from said group
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by slapsymcdougal

I agree, I work in a head office for a charity and seeing some of the money they waste is ridiculous. The boss recently decided we need a new sofa in the office. God knows why, to look more business-y? Anyway it's going to cost £5000. Having also worked in front line services for the same organisation it's sad knowing we were told not to print in colour because it cost too much, and yet they're wasting £5k on a sofa that nobody will even sit on.

HOWEVER

I still think a lot of this is post-hoc rationalisation. People just don't want to and find a reason afterwards. I still doubt a lot of people would suddenly give money or welcome charity fundraisers if CEOs were paid less. Regardless of which, I don't think CEOs being paid a lot changes your own personal obligations or the good you could do but just don't. Not giving doesn't change these people's wages, it just means that the people in need get nothing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with criticising some charities' practices of course, and there are some questionable practices, but I also think a lot of that criticism comes from a naivity about how organisations of that size need to run and simply from wanting to justify doing nothing.

I think it's the same as the recent anti-refugee line of "well we should be helping our own first, we can't waste money of these guys" to which the reply every time is simply "ok, so what are you doing for people here then?"
Quote by EndTheRapture51
My threads are #popular

so is taylor swift's music but that doesn't make it good
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
All charities are dodgy and scams. I earn my money for me #priorities

I give stuff I don't need away for other people, like blood
I don't think I've ever encountered a door-to-door charity collector. In any case, I've never been worried about how much profit is made from what I give. I don't know if I should care that much, anyway. For-profit charity workers may do it as a full-time job or something and at least money's going to people in need because I give whenever I can.
Free Ali
Quote by MadClownDisease
I agree, I work in a head office for a charity and seeing some of the money they waste is ridiculous. The boss recently decided we need a new sofa in the office. God knows why, to look more business-y? Anyway it's going to cost £5000. Having also worked in front line services for the same organisation it's sad knowing we were told not to print in colour because it cost too much, and yet they're wasting £5k on a sofa that nobody will even sit on.

HOWEVER

I still think a lot of this is post-hoc rationalisation. People just don't want to and find a reason afterwards. I still doubt a lot of people would suddenly give money or welcome charity fundraisers if CEOs were paid less. Regardless of which, I don't think CEOs being paid a lot changes your own personal obligations or the good you could do but just don't. Not giving doesn't change these people's wages, it just means that the people in need get nothing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with criticising some charities' practices of course, and there are some questionable practices, but I also think a lot of that criticism comes from a naivity about how organisations of that size need to run and simply from wanting to justify doing nothing.

I think it's the same as the recent anti-refugee line of "well we should be helping our own first, we can't waste money of these guys" to which the reply every time is simply "ok, so what are you doing for people here then?"
That speaks of an ignorance of how those organisations became bloated and top-heavy in the first place.

You'll notice that they almost all begin as voluntary organisations. Oxfam, for example, started out as a group who wanted the blockade of Greece relaxed to allow food aid in during WW2.

And now, their internal structure is more 'authoritarian corporate' than 'well-meaning intellectuals and Quakers'.
Quote by Diemon Dave