I have recently been eye-balling the black label chorus pedal and was wonder how much you really end up using it? I know there are some really famous songs that use the chorus just right and it sounds teriffic. It seems less and less people are saving room in their pedal board for chorus. I have never used one before and wouldn't mind adding some dimension. Any input on the best way to use it and how often it is used would be awesome.

Thanks,
Tyson
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Classic and 80s rock definitely used a lot of it. Too much, in fact.

For metal, it isn't used as much. However, when used sparingly with a slow modulation and fairly large sweep, it can really add a nice shimmer to clean passages when used in conjunction with reverb and delay. I've never been a real fan of how chorus sounds with overdrive, but that's just me.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
In 80s hair metal, it's (over)used all the time. Personally, I have mine (BOSS CH-1) always on, and set for very light chorus.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Some heavy metal guitarists use it live with distortion, for example Zak Wilde and Petrucci .I think it sounds awesome, it adds a lot of depth. Personally I always mix some chorus with my distortion.
i am not a huge fan of MXR choruses. look at a malekko chorus. i picked up one for around $75 from reverb and i love it. really small footprint too.

as far as chorus being used in metal, i am with the general consensus to the above posts.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've only used it when doing arpeggios in quieter bits to a song.
Are there other examples where it is used often in rock/metal apart from arpeggios ? I thought if you added it to metal rythym it would mushy.
I still think it is a quite popular effect, I've seen choruses in quite a lot of pedalboards, sometimes even quite surprisingly (i.e. probably used rather subtly).

And besides the "way too much chorus" '80s thing, John Petrucci is indeed an example of some cool uses of chorus/flanger with distortion.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
It's worth pointing out, I think, that a lot of modern reverb and delay pedals these days are including a "modulated" setting(s), which is usually a slight chorus. So that could be why you're not seeing as many people with chorus pedals on their boards. My TC Elec Hall of Fame and Flashback both have a "mod" option, for example. When I play cleans, I usually run my HOF on a cathedral reverb setting and set my Flashback to its "mod" setting. There's just enough chorus effect there to thicken the tone and add a shimmery layer that sounds awesome; I haven't felt the need to get a dedicated chorus pedal because of that.

Also, a slight chorus effect can really sweeten your lead tones and make artificial harmonics really scream on a whole different level.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
UUMMM... kind of has me thinking if I should get a delay before a chorus. I wish I had one to experiment with before I bought it. From what I read of the reviews everyone loves that MXR pedal.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
You want chorus in your heavy metal? Maybe you should try making some guitar friends and try playing with each other. Chorus. It's fun to play with yourself but another set of hands never hurts.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I was going to mention Petrucci as one of the only players I can think of who uses chorus on a distorted tone.

Really the way modern metal sounds doesn't lend itself to any kind of effects on distorted rhythm sections. Tight double-tracked rhythm guitars will have their clarity and punch neutered by pretty much every modulation effect.

Some bands use things like phasers as effects every now and then, but chorus really isn't commonplace apart from on cleans.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
You want chorus in your heavy metal? Maybe you should try making some guitar friends and try playing with each other. Chorus. It's fun to play with yourself but another set of hands never hurts.

That's silly, masturbation jokes aside. Chorus gives you fun, swirly, dreamy detune sounds that you can't realistically duplicate with just adding more guitars. And how am I supposed to get guitar playing buddies to duplicate my improvised solos? And even if they did, it still won't sound like a chorus pedal. I think a bunch of the solos on Blizzard of Oz were multitracked, such as Crazy Train. It doesn't really sound like a chorus pedal. Compare to the chorus effect that Kurt Cobain used on his guitar solos.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by KailM
It's worth pointing out, I think, that a lot of modern reverb and delay pedals these days are including a "modulated" setting(s), which is usually a slight chorus. So that could be why you're not seeing as many people with chorus pedals on their boards. My TC Elec Hall of Fame and Flashback both have a "mod" option, for example. When I play cleans, I usually run my HOF on a cathedral reverb setting and set my Flashback to its "mod" setting. There's just enough chorus effect there to thicken the tone and add a shimmery layer that sounds awesome; I haven't felt the need to get a dedicated chorus pedal because of that.

Also, a slight chorus effect can really sweeten your lead tones and make artificial harmonics really scream on a whole different level.

Ah yeah, that too. Although truth is, there is quite a big difference between chorus (or other effects) only on the repeats or the reverb tail and the guitar signal itself - personally I really love the modulated settings on exactly the same pedals, but I'm not a big fan of chorus used on the guitar signal itself, it sounds kind of too "thick" and sugary to me. So generally I think it's a bit of a different kind of sound than you get from chorus on the main guitar tone.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Oh... granny metal.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I have recently met another player in town that says he has chorus pedal. I need to pack my gear up and head over there. I do need to practice more with other people.