Hey, I have a Squier Tele Classic Vibes and I'm thinking of upgrading it a little.

Thinking of swapping the bridge to a Gotoh Modern Bridge, and possibly either some TV Jones or Fender Fil'tron style pickups. I have toyed with the idea of getting a new neck too (a 'real' Fender Telecaster one with anything but a lacquered back as I can't stand it), but that's pushing it I think…

Just not sure it's worth it as opposed to just selling it and buying a slightly more expensive guitar instead?

Any thoughts on this?

/G
A couple of things to think about:

What do you dislike about your current guitar?

What are you looking to achieve by upgrading? Specifically, I mean. Not just 'better'.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
A couple of things to think about:

What do you dislike about your current guitar?

What are you looking to achieve by upgrading? Specifically, I mean. Not just 'better'.

Hey, thanks for the quick response!

Good question – I've had this guitar for quite some time, and I think it's a case of "time to move on" mixed with a bit of a fetish for customising things Like I said, the lacquered neck annoys me a fair bit as it always feels sticky, the bridge pup feels a little too twangy and thin and it doesn't have a great deal of sustain. This is especially noticeable on the higher frets – around 12th fret onwards (particularly when bending strings 1-3). The action is also bit high so it might be worth just taking it to a shop and getting it adjusted before I go bananas on the upgrades, potentially get someone to look at adjusting the pups too.

/G
You can fix the sticky lacquered neck by satinising it.

Take a scotch brite pad and evenly (with fairly light pressure) create thousands of scratches in the guitar neck's finish. It'll dull the finish up, and the scratches will break the surface tension your hands have with the neck that causes them to stick.

Problems with a lack of sustain have nothing to do with the pickups. I'd take the guitar to a tech and ask them if you have any high frets that need to be levelled, which there most likely will be. Levelling those will dramatically improve the guitar's playability and sustain because the frets won't choke out the strings nearly as much.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 25, 2015,
Why not? These days you can even get a compound radius neck ($569 from Fender) like a USA Deluxe Tele would have--plus you'd have an extra fret. With a little extra work and a few more parts you can even convert it to micro tilt. It has 5 screw holes so you can leave your heel like it is or contour it (probably not worth contouring it since you'd have to repaint it).

It would be hard to find a Fender Tele with real Filtertrons, except if you ordered it from the Custom Shop. You'd have to get a Cabronita, an American Design Experience, or a Custom Shop to get the Fender copies. So you might as well mod your guitar to fit these. It might take some routing, and if you want it in the bridge position then you're going to lose the biggest aspect of the guitar that makes the Telecaster a Telecaster--the ashtray bridge.

Don't know why you'd want the modern bridge--getting rid of that will kill most of the Telecaster twang and then you might as well just get a hard tail Strat. What's wrong with the factory bridge? A Mustang with the original Mustang bridge sounds more like a Telecaster than a Telecaster will with a modern bridge.
I have one as well, I was pretty content with it. I just changed the neck pickup with a TV Jones Filtertron. It still remains my work horse.
Super advice guys - lots to take in. I didn't actually realise the bridge accounted for so much of the twang! I'll definitely give sanding the neck down a go, and possibly replacing the pickups - is installing the TV Jones ones pretty much plug&splay (apart from the soldering, obviously)?

Definitely worth bringing in in to a tech too - the sustain issue is definitely a neck issue hence why I wanted to swap the neck (plus the lacquer finish), but sanding it and having a tech look at it certainly seems like a more sensible option!

Thanks a bunch
Quote by robje2000
I have one as well, I was pretty content with it. I just changed the neck pickup with a TV Jones Filtertron. It still remains my work horse.

Curious, plus it will help with the TS's question about plug and play...

What did you have to do to get the TV Jones to fit? Did you just need to get a pick guard cut for a humbucker or was there more to it?
Just a thought about the sticky neck - have you considered sanding it? this seems to make more sense than buying a whole new neck, unless there's something else seriously wrong with it or you're just not happy with the way it plays.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Definitely trying the sanding trick!

And curious to know about the TV Jones / pick guard question too..?
For whatever reason, the CV does seem to have a humbucker rout in the neck position. That said, Filtertron dimensions are a tad different to standard buckers, so the pickguard might be a Warmoth job.

Don't know what kind of pot values the Filtertrons like, though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Don't know what kind of pot values the Filtertrons like, though.

I would guess 500k since that's what Gretsch uses with Filtertrons.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
If you need a custom pickguard you might want to try Quickguards.com. Mike is super cool.
Quote by Godal
Hey, I have a Squier Tele Classic Vibes and I'm thinking of upgrading it a little.

Thinking of swapping the bridge to a Gotoh Modern Bridge, and possibly either some TV Jones or Fender Fil'tron style pickups. I have toyed with the idea of getting a new neck too (a 'real' Fender Telecaster one with anything but a lacquered back as I can't stand it), but that's pushing it I think…

Just not sure it's worth it as opposed to just selling it and buying a slightly more expensive guitar instead?

If you're going to move up, buy something that's at least twice as good as what you have. Not just "slightly more expensive."

You're tossing good money after bad by "upgrading" the current tele. You'll never get ANY of it back when you finally sell it.
Avoid sanding that neck. Probably better to sand it just enough to help a new coat of paint adhere, and then hose it down with matte or satin clear (probably a poly). I've got several necks that have that finish from new, and it eliminates the whole "sticky" business right quick.
Quote by dspellman
If you're going to move up, buy something that's at least twice as good as what you have. Not just "slightly more expensive."

You're tossing good money after bad by "upgrading" the current tele. You'll never get ANY of it back when you finally sell it.

Well I wouldn't call the CV proverbial bad money - I reckon they'd make pretty good workhorses with upgraded hardware since the basic product is pretty nice for the money, but in principle you're right on both counts.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Well I wouldn't call the CV proverbial bad money - I reckon they'd make pretty good workhorses with upgraded hardware since the basic product is pretty nice for the money, but in principle you're right on both counts.

"bad money" is probably the wrong phrase, here. I'd leave it alone precisely because the CV is good stuff all by itself.
Definitely never going to make a profit on it. However, if you fall in love with something like a USA Deluxe Telecaster or even an American Standard, you can essentially have it for a fraction of the price by getting the neck and a few other key parts and sticking them on the Squier. The body isn't much different, other than the heel contour, and even that's something you can mod too, if you want to enough.

Plus it would be hard to buy a Telecaster from a factory with true TV Jones Filtertrons, without it being a rare custom guitar, so if that's what you want, then there's no reason not to do that to the Squier. Actually if you have to route it, then it would be dumb to do that to a more expensive guitar because that will only hurt the value. So you have less to lose doing it to the Squier than to a guitar that costs more.
Last edited by SpeedSterHR at Sep 27, 2015,