Hey guys....I need your help..!!

Well I'm planning to buy an acoustic guitar with a decent pick up but below $500. I have shortlisted a few:
1. Washburn WD20sce
2. Takamine GD30CE
3. Yamaha FGX 700SC or 720SCA or 730SC

Which of these would you'll suggest. Or in other words, which is the better of the lot.
Please do help me with your opinions. It would be of great help.

Thanks
I haven't played any of those but I really enjoyed the Yamaha APX500ii. Almost bought it.
George,
I don't know where you are from, but it might be a good idea to consider LAG from France and the nice Dowina from Slovakia, who alreday have much experience building violins...their top model Chardonnay even has a solid top from the same wood as the violins
Last edited by schalk70 at Sep 28, 2015,
Quote by george.varghese
Hey guys....I need your help..!!

Well I'm planning to buy an acoustic guitar with a decent pick up but below $500. I have shortlisted a few:
1. Washburn WD20sce
OK, I have personal issues with Washburn. Once upon a time, they sold 12 strings, left handed. Trouble is, the actions were about a 1/2" off the deck. Straight up, unplayable. To this day I consider the entire line iffy. whether or not that's true, is anybody's guess.
Quote by george.varghese
2. Takamine GD30CE
Once you get over about a grand, Takamines make great stage guitars. Garth Brooks, (I think), has a signature model. He does play a black Tak, dreadnought cutaway. As for their lower models, no experience, hence no opinion. Most people talk favorably about them though.
Quote by george.varghese
3. Yamaha FGX 700SC or 720SCA or 730SC
. The Yamaha 700 series are the worlds most popular entry level guitars. We've never had anybody come back after buying one, and claim we steered them wrong. Yamaha must be doing something right...

Depending on you taste and ear, you could look at Sigma and Recording King for a Martin-esque sound. They have a few models in your price range.

The Seagull, "S-6 Original" is a winner, but the electric version is at the top of your price range: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/seagull-s6-original-q1-acoustic-electric-guitar/512121 (Although Musician's Friend is having a "clearance sale", so this might be a good time to give them a call and haggle a bit)

Another popular choice would be the Epiphone EJ-200-SCE. These are solid top, cutaway, with Shadow stereo electronics. It's a big guitar, make that huge guitar, (same size as the Gibson SJ-200 it's modeled after), and Gibson loves their Americana, as evidenced by the country & western decoration. It has a big sound as well http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-ej-200sce-acoustic-electric-guitar At MAP, that could be yours at $490.00/ W/ case ("EJUMBO"), ostensibly no tax, free shipping.
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Electric/John-Lennon-EJ-160E.aspx

Can be found for $400-500. I bought my in 2007 for $500.
Has a mini humbucker, and sounds great plugged/unplugged.
I replaced the plastic pins with brass ones and it looks/sounds good with them.

Its modeled after a popular acoustic John Lennon used the more expensive Gibson model J-160e
Last edited by pinkfloyd2008 at Sep 30, 2015,
Quote by pinkfloyd2008
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Acoustic-Electric/John-Lennon-EJ-160E.aspx

Can be found for $400-500. I bought my in 2007 for $500.
Has a mini humbucker, and sounds great plugged/unplugged.
I replaced the plastic pins with brass ones and it looks/sounds good with them.

Its modeled after a popular acoustic John Lennon used the more expensive Gibson model J-160e
Well, this is discontinued. So, it's going to be used or not at all.

If we're going to recommend high end Epiphones, it might be preferable to go with current production models. I'd suggest the "Inspired by 1964 Texan" http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-inspired-by-1964-texan-acoustic-electric-guitar/581880 This is a slope shoulder dread the same as the Lennon. It has single point Shadow electronics and a solid back.

or This AJ-45 "Masterbilt": http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-masterbilt-aj-45me-acoustic-electric-guitar This is all solid, and also a slope shoulder dreadnought.

(The Lennon signature is laminate B & S, and while it was in production, I expect the "signature" added a hundred bucks or so to the price).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 1, 2015,
AFAIK, the original J-160E was just a massive plywood box - an electric made to look like an acoustic. I had the second generation version with square shoulders, and it was big and heavy. In spite of its unpromising construction, it wasn't bad; a nice sweet even voice, and very good for amplification. I think there might still be a market niche for that kind of guitar, in addition to the many archtops that are available..
When you say, "the original J-160E", are you speaking to a Gibson guitar, rather than an Epiphone?

The page linked in the EJ-160 points to a solid spruce top.

The 3 guitars mentioned are all "AJ" (?) models, and all ostensibly fit in Epiphone's "EJUMBO" case. So, again "ostensibly", they should all be in the same general "sonic family"

The current "Inspired by '64 Texan"is an Epiphone copy of an Epiphone , once used by Sir Paul.

In any event, all the guitars in question were pre-piezo era, which explains the electro-mag pickup on the Lennon model. Since the "IB Texan" isn't a signature model, I suppose they can take as many liberties as they choose on the pathway to amplification....

Speaking of feedback, supposedly the original Gibson ES-335's were solid maple tops, but were changed to plywood because of feedback issues.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 1, 2015,
Yeah, I was referring to the early Gibson J-160Es,;I don't doubt that the modern version have been made more acoustic. Mine had a P90 with long screw poles that came out at the end of the fretboard. I added a piezo UST and preamp because I didn't know any better in those days.
Quote by Tony Done
....[ ].....I added a piezo UST and preamp because I didn't know any better in those days.
Oh cut it out you......