So I was just stopping by GC to get strings (their String Club cards are great both ways-savings for us and instigating GAS as the same time...), and of course I couldn't help myself from checking out the guitar wall. What caught my eye were a couple of 2015 Gibson LP Studios that just looked gorgeous and were marked down to 999 new (from 1300-ish earlier). I successfully fought off my initial instinct to try one (game over if I did...) and just get what I came for (my wallet likes me!).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/2015-Les-Paul-Studio-SR.gc

Was looking for other people's experiences with this since I didn't find any reviews of that model here, and I'm REALLY wary of the robot tuners and the Zero Fret crap on it... Also couldn't find much on the "Super '57" in the bridge if anyone has experience with that.

Added into my bad GAS is that this weekend has a 15% off bonus to the price with a trade-in, and I have a couple of guitars I will never play again...

Someone talk some sense into me please since the 2015 models have some truly bad hardware but look fantastic....

I play mostly 80's metal, both hair and thrash....
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Vulture-Satin Black
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Snakebyte-Snow White
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Iron Cross-Snow White
Jackson Pro Series Soloist SL2Q Trans Root Beer Quilt
Jackson SLATXMQ Soloist3-6-Trans Red Quilt
Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2QM-Chlorine Burst
Jackson Pro Series Monarkh SC-Trans Purple Quilt
Ibanez Iron Label ARZIR20
Schecter Hellraiser C-1-Black Cherry Burst
Ibanez RG-770-Laser Blue
Jackson Kelly-Trans Green Flame
Line 6 Helix LT
The Min-E-tune crap is just that. Crap. Terrible. Inherently flawed in concept and doesn't even work that well in practice.

Admittedly, the brass zero fret thing is a decent idea as it allows the nut slot height to be fully adjustable.

But the necks on the 2015 LP's are have a ridiculous neck profile that's almost as wide at the nut than it is at the 22nd fret.

And I just don't like the look of Studios. Their lack of binding really hurts them aesthetically imo. Doesn't help that the LP 100 logo and the Les Paul hologram look atrocious either.

If you're a metal player, getting an LTD Deluxe instead is a no-brainer. I'm a big fan of Gibsons, but you're better off pretending that the 2015 models never existed. If you really want a Gibson, wait until next year (they say all this new crap is going to completely disappear next year) or go used.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 25, 2015,
Be patient. Right now used Gibson prices are high because the high 2015 prices sent a lot of buyers to the secondary market. But in a few months used Gibson prices are going to drop two or three hundred dollars.

That said, if you can get over the logo and headstock, buy LTD. They’re great guitars.
Quote by jpnyc
Be patient. Right now used Gibson prices are high because the high 2015 prices sent a lot of buyers to the secondary market. But in a few months used Gibson prices are going to drop two or three hundred dollars.

That said, if you can get over the logo and headstock, buy LTD. They’re great guitars.

EC's are very far off of LP's. the only similar characteristic is the body shape . i have owned an EC400, EC401, and an EC1000. i own seven Gibsons and two are LP's (both are older studios).

the guitars are EXTREMELY different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
the brass zero fret thing is a decent idea as it allows the nut slot height to be fully adjustable...

the necks on the 2015 LP's are have a ridiculous neck profile that's almost as wide at the nut than it is at the 22nd fret.

the LP 100 logo and the Les Paul hologram look atrocious....

i agree with all of this. i didn't mess with the mini tune.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The Min-E-tune crap is just that. Crap. Terrible. Inherently flawed in concept and doesn't even work that well in practice.

And at that, you may be giving it too much credit...

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Admittedly, the brass zero fret thing is a decent idea as it allows the nut slot height to be fully adjustable.

But the necks on the 2015 LP's are have a ridiculous neck profile that's almost as wide at the nut than it is at the 22nd fret.

The brass nut zero fret thing isn't bad, and if there were one thing I think they might want to keep, it would be that. But I have NO idea why they've gone with the wide neck profile while keeping the string spacing the same. The good news is that you're not going to slip into the space between "nibs" and the edge of the fret. And you're not going to slide off the side of the guitar if the fret ends aren't done correctly. But for no change at all in string spacing, it doesn't make sense.

Gibson is likely trying to get rid of the 2015s, which have been a disaster, to clear inventory space for the 2016s. That may seem like a "deal," but this is probably not a guitar you'll want to live with long term.

There's also this: that 15% you think is going to save you some money on a trade-in deal will NOT make up for the money you'll lose on your trade-in by being too lazy to sell it off on the local Craigslist or eBay.
Quote by tc1072

Was looking for other people's experiences with this since I didn't find any reviews of that model here,

I guess not much people bought any 2015 Gibson......
Quote by tc1072

Was looking for other people's experiences with this since I didn't find any reviews of that model here

Honestly, UG is home to a LOT of folks playing bedroom metal on an Ibanez and a 6505. Not a lot of Gibson types. But if you REALLY want to see the 2015s hammered, poke your nose in on MyLesPaul. It can get vicious when you bring them up.
Thanks All for talking me of the ledge!.
I am currently using an Ibanez iron label most of the time and completely love everything about it, but you know how GAS works, see something shiny and new, your eyes widen, and the next thing you know you're sitting in your living room holding a new toy you never even knew existed, and then have to explain to family why you needed it and how you afforded it lol! Although I still want to own a real Gibson at some point, definitely gonna pass on the 2015 models.
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Vulture-Satin Black
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Snakebyte-Snow White
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Iron Cross-Snow White
Jackson Pro Series Soloist SL2Q Trans Root Beer Quilt
Jackson SLATXMQ Soloist3-6-Trans Red Quilt
Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2QM-Chlorine Burst
Jackson Pro Series Monarkh SC-Trans Purple Quilt
Ibanez Iron Label ARZIR20
Schecter Hellraiser C-1-Black Cherry Burst
Ibanez RG-770-Laser Blue
Jackson Kelly-Trans Green Flame
Line 6 Helix LT
Quote by dspellman
Honestly, UG is home to a LOT of folks playing bedroom metal on an Ibanez and a 6505. Not a lot of Gibson types. But if you REALLY want to see the 2015s hammered, poke your nose in on MyLesPaul. It can get vicious when you bring them up.

However, the grandpas there love their Phaez amps too much.
Quote by paruwi
I guess not much people bought any 2015 Gibson......

That's why they were discontinued in July and the 2016 guitars came out in August instead of November.
Quote by Ippon
However, the grandpas there love their Phaez amps too much.

Yeah, what IS it with Phaez amps over there?
Or, for that matter, 6505's on THIS forum.
Quote by tc1072
Although I still want to own a real Gibson at some point, definitely gonna pass on the 2015 models.

Owning a "real Gibson" ain't what it used to be.

These days there are a LOT of manufacturers making better guitars, dollar for dollar, than what you see for under $2K from Gibson.

If you're gonna spend for a "real Gibson", plan on a Standard or maybe a Traditional, or even a Custom (not the Custom Classic, thank you very much), but honestly, if you're going to spend that money on "new" and the logo's important to you, stay north of the Studio. Save up the coins until you can afford it.

I have a decent stack of Gibsons, but I noticed, one day, that aside from one Axcess Custom, all of my Gibsons were built prior to 1980. Oldest one's a 1949 ES-175. I don't have any serious objections to guitars built after that; it just worked out that way. It's not a bad thing; none of them will ever depreciate, and all of them are worth silly money compared to what I spent on them when I bought them. And, too, I've mostly purchased used, but minty. I don't buy into that "worn" look or to the "mojo" stuff.