I recently changed the stock bridge pickup in my guitar out for a Dimarzio X2N. The only issue I've had thus far is that starting at about the 11th fret, certain strings won't ring out at certain frets.

This was't an issue at all before changing pickups and I didn't make any adjustments that weren't required for the pickup change. I'm not even sure if this matters in the slightest but I did preform the pickup change myself.

After a month or so this has become incredibly frustrating, so any help I can get on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Have you checked the neck relief?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Did you adjust the height of the pick-ups themselves? Stupid question, but have a look if the strings don't touch the PUs
If you left the guitar without strings for an extended period while doing the pup swap then that could certainly cause the neck to shift. A truss rod adjustment could be in order.
Quote by Random3
Yeah I don't see how changing the pickups could have that effect.

Neck releif is pretty much the only thing that will do that, apart from fret height but the frets aren't just going to suddenly change their height.

1. Have you checked the frets for level at all? Do you know how to do that?

2. Any chance you could have lowered the bridge a bit when you swapped out the pickups?

3. Is the pickup too close to the strings?

4. The neck "shifting" while you had the strings off is extremely unlikely. But did you change string gauges or string *brands*?

5. Have you actually checked the relief on your neck? Do you know how to check for *proper* relief (most folks here just seem to twirl the truss rod at random without knowing how much is too little or not enough)?
The X2N has a very powerful magnet, and it's recommended in the instructions to put it lower than the old pickup, so check this first
Quote by SacredJones
The X2N has a very powerful magnet, and it's recommended in the instructions to put it lower than the old pickup, so check this first

Good point -- I pulled a pair of them from my Flying V way back when. Currently using them as fridge magnets. They pull all the iron-rich foods toward the front of the refrigerator.
Quote by dspellman

4. The neck "shifting" while you had the strings off is extremely unlikely.?

If he left the strings off for a LONG time neck releif changes can and likely will occur.....i just learned this recently myself and iv built guitars for nearly 12 years.

The string tension counteracts the truss rod tension so when atrings aren't present........you probably already know this.

The height of the pickup is also a good suggestion.
Quote by Dick Savage
If he left the strings off for a LONG time neck releif changes can and likely will occur.....i just learned this recently myself and iv built guitars for nearly 12 years.

The string tension counteracts the truss rod tension so when atrings aren't present........you probably already know this.

The height of the pickup is also a good suggestion.

How long is a long time? Is five or more hours considered a long time? Also I tried lowering the X2N a ton, didn't help. I've also made sure that none of the strings are touching the pickups.

That only leaves the neck relief. Is this something I could safely adjust myself? If so, what allen wrench size would I need for an Epi Les Paul? I've read people say 4mm before, but the ones my dad has laying around just say 4/15 and stuff like that.
Depending upon climate and other factors 5 hkurs could do the trick...but i doubt it. As for the allen keys get a metric set to start with, and yes you can perform the adhustment yourself however i wouldnt recommend it if you have no prior experience or someone who is experienced close by.
Quote by Dick Savage
Depending upon climate and other factors 5 hkurs could do the trick...but i doubt it. As for the allen keys get a metric set to start with, and yes you can perform the adhustment yourself however i wouldnt recommend it if you have no prior experience or someone who is experienced close by.

I'm pretty sure I've figured out what caused this. Would tuning down as low as A# on a guitar that has been set up for E for 1-2 days be enough? Possibly several more times than that as well.
Quote by Cheeseshark
I'm pretty sure I've figured out what caused this. Would tuning down as low as A# on a guitar that has been set up for E for 1-2 days be enough? Possibly several more times than that as well.

Yes.

When you tune down by 5 steps you are reducing the amount of tension on the neck significantly, which means the neck will be pulling back far more than it was when you were tuned to E.
^ That.

Strings want to pull the neck one way. The truss rod is set to work against that tension. You change that tension, you change the relief in the neck.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Cheeseshark

Might want to LEAD with that next time.

Quote by dspellman
Might want to LEAD with that next time.

It took me a while to realize that that( is that even grammatically correct?) might be the issue here. Either way I can be pretty sure that a truss rod adjustment is in order. Might have to try to do it myself though, as I'm 16 and broke. Anyways, thanks a ton for the help guys! At least I know what the problem is now.

Hey can someone link me to the setup thread? I swear I saw one a while ago but I can't seem to find it now.
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Sep 28, 2015,
Outside of the neck thanks for the picture. That made my day.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.