I'm looking to invest in a mic for recording my acoustic and electric guitars. My budget would be $150 but I may consider going for $200 if its really worth it.
So far the SM57 seems like the only candidate. Can anyone recommend me some other mics out there at the same price range?
You can't go wrong with a 57 for electrics, but for acoustics it isn't going to be the best.

If you can only get one mic then I would suggest the 57 but if you find yourself recording more acoustic then you may want to invest in a condenser.

The 57 will work for pretty much anything but it wouldn't be my first choice for acoustics.
Depends which is more important to you. If acoustic is more important go for a AT2020 which is OK on amps as well. Not my first choice for electric but you can get good tones with it on electric as well, I usually blend that with SM57. If you can bump up to $200 you can get a dynamic and a condenser, so SM57 (or E835) and AT2020. You need phantom power for condenser so watch out for that. You could also get a cheaper condenser, a friend gets decent results on acoustic with his MXL $70 condenser.
Do you already have an interface?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
57 all the way!
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Ok, using the G3X as an interface you don't need a mic. You use the on board amp sims.

If you want to start using a mic, go read the stickies.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
That Zoom doesn't have any mic pres on it. The XLR connector on the back is an output for DI'ing. You might be able to get signal on a very loud source with an SM57, but it won't be running at the correct impedance and you'll introduce a lot of noise into the track since you'll have to crank the gain on the input.

Condenser mics won't work, because not only does it not have mic preamps, it also doesn't have phantom power.

Really, you need a proper interface if you want to use a mic.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by t.k_rules
What if I just get the usb adapter for the sm57?

Quote by MatrixClaw
you need a proper interface if you want to use a mic.

I strongly suggest you read the Intro to recording sticky.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud