Hi. I got a guitar a month ago and to be honest, I'm totally new into this and I'm starting from the very beginning. I practiced piano before so I kind of know the logic of music in general, but I'm finding guitar's logic and finger control particularily hard.
As far as I know, the first thing I have to practice is chords and that's what I've been doing up to this day and I'm kind of handling it, but playing solos with chords all together and stuff is getting hell hard.

Although the kind of music I'm willing to play requires distortion pedalboard and I don't even have one yet (I'll buy one later).

I know everything can be achieved by practicing, but I also know there's bad and good practice, so I've been looking for videos on youtube explaining basics, but to be honest I feel like I'm lacking something.

Going to the point, this is an example of the kind of songs I want to play. I know it's probably the worst thing to get started but I'd be lying if I said this is not exactly the kind of music I want to be able to play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfkvy5jIIGc

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask such things but if you think there's a very important detail I should know that might not be in the average tutorial, I'd thank you a lot if you say it.

I don't feel the urge to get a distortion pedalboard very soon because I know I must know how to finger control first and all before being able to do anything else. If you know songs that are good for starters (not only chords), I'd also thank you very much if you mention them.

Also good excercises or hints or whatever, anything helps.
I'd strongly suggest getting a teacher, at least at the beginning. That person will be able to adapt to your strong and weak points, your aspirations and your gear. If you can avoid the usual "bossa, rock, blues, all styles" kind of teacher, and get one that is really familiar with what you want, it'll be even better (in my case, finding a teacher who is actually a member of a prog metal band changed everything).

After that, don't wait too long before you get a distorsion pedal, especially if you're going to play with high gain distorsion. It will require that you develop specific habits, having mostly to do with using both hands to control the strings you aren't playing: unplayed strings can easily start to vibrate, because one of your fingers brushed them, because you shook your guitar, or because there's some feedback from your amp. To some extent, that won't be noticeable in clean sound, but will be mercilessly amplified by high gain.
Guitars: Music Man JP7 2009 (piezo) and JP6 2013, Fender Stratocaster US 1991
Last edited by Yuka66 at Sep 26, 2015,
check the justinguitar website for help- it's pretty good, and free (though he accepts donations)

i agree about not waiting too long before trying distortion. does your amp not have distortion? you don't necessarily need a pedal to get distortion, depending on what your amp is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
make sure to get your guitar checked out at a shop to make sure its not set up too hard to play

ill tell u wot i was doing for my first 6 months (or 4 months)

power chords - adam's song blink 182
normal chords - wishbone ash throw down the sword
barre chords - whatever, i just do them randomly, my guitar is too fucked to care atm
solo instrumental - can't beat air man, endless rain xjapan solo, will do comfortably numb next
blues - learn pentatonic shapes and add some blues notes and look at random lick/idea videos

if you wanna learn canon rock it looks like a good thing to just start learning from the start (i didn't watch it properly but it looks ok...)

it will take u 6 months to get anything working but if you do it then everything will start to work
I understand what you mean. Piano is "simpler" in guitar in the sense you can play for example für elise after a month or two. For guitar, it might take some time to build the finger calluses, extra strength and to get strong nails that won't detach when you do bending.

Hm, if there's something I think I learned much from, it's using guitar books. I used one called "a complete guide to learning rock guitar" by Troy Stetina for a long time. It was a stepwise course. You should check if you can find something similar.

Learn alternate picking as soon as possible. There is absolutely no point in downpicking everything.

Try to work with techniques like bending, sliding, hammer ons, pull offs, chord arpeggios. Work with the precision of your right hand too. These are all basics that must be mastered.

I also agree that you shouldn't wait too long to get an amp with distortion. But as long as it's within half a year / a year, depending on how much you play, I think you'll be fine.

Quote by percydw
[SNIP]

if you wanna learn canon rock it looks like a good thing to just start learning from the start (i didn't watch it properly but it looks ok...)
[SNIP]

Wuuut?? Go to 3:38 and I'm pretty sure you'll agree it's hard on a beginner. Some parts are ok after a while though.
Last edited by NorthernLord at Sep 26, 2015,
There are a lot of beginning shredding tutorial, how-to-play-fast tutorial in the web. Search for rock guitar lesson for beginners and get going ! For me, if I wanna learn to play chords, I will start on an acoustic guitar first, to build my finger strength and clean playing.
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

Thanks a lot, people. You're being rly helpful

Quote by Yuka66
I'd strongly suggest getting a teacher, at least at the beginning. That person will be able to adapt to your strong and weak points, your aspirations and your gear. If you can avoid the usual "bossa, rock, blues, all styles" kind of teacher, and get one that is really familiar with what you want, it'll be even better (in my case, finding a teacher who is actually a member of a prog metal band changed everything).

I guessed so, kinda. I've been watching lot of tutorials and explanations on youtube from people that play mostly the kind of music I want to play too, but yeah I guess a personal teacher would be better. I'll see if I can find the right one for some time at least

Quote by Dave_Mc
i agree about not waiting too long before trying distortion. does your amp not have distortion? you don't necessarily need a pedal to get distortion, depending on what your amp is.

My amp not only doesn't have distortion but it's also from the 70's, it's my father's so I guess I'll have to buy a new amp too. A friend of mine plays electric guitar a lot too, he told me that amps with distortion don't have a big variety of distortion (or any at all, like only one or a couple), so he suggested me to get a distortion pedalboard to have a couple hundred sounds or something. I don't know a lot about it but I'll be asking him more questions sooner or later when I'm about to buy the things. I'd honestly buy these things right now but I've been saving money for a trip I'm going to make in some months, but I'll figure out how to buy it before, or in the worst of the cases I'll just buy it when I'm back from the trip.

Quote by percydw
make sure to get your guitar checked out at a shop to make sure its not set up too hard to play

Well, according to my friend, my guitar will need a change in the pickups since these would make lot of noise, supposedly

like they are only made for the vanilla sound. I honestly have no idea but I'll follow his lead since he always played with distortion and has many guitars, but if you know more that we don't, I'll appreciate it too.

Quote by percydw
ill tell u wot i was doing for my first 6 months (or 4 months)

power chords - adam's song blink 182
normal chords - wishbone ash throw down the sword
barre chords - whatever, i just do them randomly, my guitar is too fucked to care atm
solo instrumental - can't beat air man, endless rain xjapan solo, will do comfortably numb next
blues - learn pentatonic shapes and add some blues notes and look at random lick/idea videos

Taking note c:

Quote by NorthernLord

Hm, if there's something I think I learned much from, it's using guitar books. I used one called "a complete guide to learning rock guitar" by Troy Stetina for a long time. It was a stepwise course. You should check if you can find something similar.

I will try to find it today.

Quote by NorthernLord
Learn alternate picking as soon as possible. There is absolutely no point in downpicking everything.

Yeah, unfortunately I've been always downpicking for the first days until I realized there's actually no point in doing that, so I've been watching some videos of how to practice alternate picking. Better late than never, I'm quickly adapting to it now fortunately.

Quote by NorthernLord
Try to work with techniques like bending, sliding, hammer ons, pull offs, chord arpeggios. Work with the precision of your right hand too. These are all basics that must be mastered.

Taking note

Quote by NorthernLord
I also agree that you shouldn't wait too long to get an amp with distortion. But as long as it's within half a year / a year, depending on how much you play, I think you'll be fine.

I have plenty of free time these months and probably for the next year too so I'm practicing finger control and picking n stuff every day for hours.

Quote by NorthernLord
Wuuut?? Go to 3:38 and I'm pretty sure you'll agree it's hard on a beginner. Some parts are ok after a while though.

I can't play anything of that song yet basically because I only have the vanilla sound, but even though I couldn't digitate almost anything of that song yet.

Quote by Stuck_nomore
There are a lot of beginning shredding tutorial, how-to-play-fast tutorial in the web. Search for rock guitar lesson for beginners and get going ! For me, if I wanna learn to play chords, I will start on an acoustic guitar first, to build my finger strength and clean playing.

Yeah, I've been watching lot of videos on youtube for different excercises n' stuff.

Again, thank you people, I'll be looking for all the stuff you all mentioned these days. Thank you a lot.
Last edited by Ando626 at Sep 28, 2015,
Quote by Ando626

(a) My amp not only doesn't have distortion but it's also from the 70's, it's my father's so I guess I'll have to buy a new amp too. (b) A friend of mine plays electric guitar a lot too, he told me that amps with distortion don't have a big variety of distortion (or any at all, like only one or a couple), so he suggested me to get a distortion pedalboard to have a couple hundred sounds or something. I don't know a lot about it but I'll be asking him more questions sooner or later when I'm about to buy the things. I'd honestly buy these things right now but I've been saving money for a trip I'm going to make in some months, but I'll figure out how to buy it before, or in the worst of the cases I'll just buy it when I'm back from the trip.

(a) Ah ok

(b) I'd probably take what he says with a bit of a pinch of salt there. You can get a wider variety of distortion sounds from pedals (though with most amps it's not "on" or "off" either, you can get from "just past cleanish" to "pretty heavy" with most amps and everything in-between), but generally speaking (at least when looking at tube amps) amp distortion sounds different from pedal distortion, and each tends to be used for different things.

You can also use pedals with an amp which has distortion, you don't have to choose.

Also modelling amps have a wide variety of distortion sounds since they mimic classic amps (though they tend not to take distortion pedals so well).

It's also highly unlikely that you need hundreds of distortion sounds.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ando626
Well, according to my friend, my guitar will need a change in the pickups since these would make lot of noise, supposedly

like they are only made for the vanilla sound. I honestly have no idea but I'll follow his lead since he always played with distortion and has many guitars, but if you know more that we don't, I'll appreciate it too.

I went through a similar situation when I started. I had a Stratocaster (first a Squier, then a real one) and I had no idea that it wasn't the best fit for metal. Honestly, since I mostly played by myself, it wasn't really a big deal. I stayed with the stock pickups and simply bought a more appropriate guitar when I felt ready to go to the next level.

Single coil pickups like the ones you have may indeed be noisy, but it depends on the position your pickup selector is on. Typically, on the 2nd or 4th position, two pickups will be used (neck+middle or bridge+middle) and they will cancel each other's noise out. Even on the other positions, the noise will not necessarily be a problem if your gear is correctly grounded and you're using good cables.
Guitars: Music Man JP7 2009 (piezo) and JP6 2013, Fender Stratocaster US 1991