Hi everyone!
I know there is plenty of threads about this, but I couldn't find any specific answer to my wondering !
So here are my needs, and I would like to know if the gear I'm willing to buy is going to fit them
And I'm asking this to you because this brand is not represented in stores here where I live (west of France) so I'm not able to try it by myself !

- My needs :

I want to gig with it
I play pop-punk, modern pop-punk (think of Neck Deep, Four Year Strong, and even softer bands like All Time Low) blended with more HxC influences (BMTH, A Day To Remember breakdowns, Parkway Drive) - please don't judge my personal tastes
I play in a 4 piece band with another guitar player (I'm the rhythm guitarist) and a LOUD drummer (who's asked to play with nylon sticks xD)
My budget would be under €500 and it can't go beyond that point

First of all I've got a ESP LTD EC-1000

- The gear I'm looking at :

A JCA22H amp (Jet City Amplification)
A 1*12 cab, maybe the 12s+ by JCA too
Maybe a Tube Screamer by Ibanez, in order to boost it (never tried it, I've read about this online)

So in your opinion, would it suit for gigging, and for my musical style ?
Do I need to look at more powerful heads / cabs ?
Is there a more appropriate amp for what I want to play ? (I saw that Blackstar are great but for this price I can only find the 5W version, Orange Tiny Terror is in the same price range too)

Thanks a lot, can provide more informations !

Thomas
Guitar : ESP Ltd EC-1000
Amp : Peavey Bandit 112
It's a very good choice.

As for the tube screamer, don't bother spending the money on an actual Ibby one, not when every second overdrive is a clone/variant on the theme.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's a very good choice.

As for the tube screamer, don't bother spending the money on an actual Ibby one, not when every second overdrive is a clone/variant on the theme.

I though about getting that amp it's a good sounding amp. Thing is I had a limited budget for effects so went with an amp that had built in effects. Far as tube screams go I have a clone a digitech bad monkey that I need for 2 songs. Because the effects bank that has "green overdrive" I'm using for something else.

Just my two cents but you might want to look at a Vox VT80+ It's plenty loud for gigging so is the VT40+ I have but it only has a 10 inch speaker. In manual mode it's basically a one watt tube amp. I also have the foot switch and a wah pedal just because I don't like the auto wah in the amp.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Sep 26, 2015,
^ +1

The 50 watter would give you more clean headroom. My JCA50H worked perfect in my pop/punk band.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Thanks for all the replies
I'll try the Vox at the shop, I think they might have one

And I also considered the JCA50H and, even though my budget can go up to €500, it would be nice if it could be less ( the rest of the money will help me eating so... ^^), so I was wondering if there was a big difference in terms of volume between the 50w + a 2*12 cab and the 20w with a 1*12 (or 2*12) ? Because if it's all about the cleans, I have to say that I never use it xD
Every time you double the sound source, so in this case the speakers, you will only increase the overall sounds level by 3dB. So if you go from a 112 to a 212, or a 212 to a 412, you will only notice the same 3dB difference, since you are just doubling the amount of speakers each time.

Your ears may perceive a larger difference tho, since a 212 is physically bigger than a 112 you will get a naturally larger dispersion of the sound, marking it sound "bigger". That's the reason most people prefer 212's or 412's over 112's; But it's totally personal preference. I'd recommend going for the 212, but don't starve yourself to get it; I've been there

Edit:

As far as an overdrive pedal goes, I've been really happy with my digitech bad monkey. I use it to boost my Jet City, and tighten it up for lead work.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Sep 27, 2015,
Right x) I think I'm going to go and try some amps first, and some cabs too, and then I'll chose which one I must pick ! But that's a tough choice, as there is still a significant difference in price between 2*12 and 1*12s, and also, a silly point but 2*12 are bigger, and heavier, and I live with my gf in a not-so-big apartment so I don't want too much of a big amp, and I will have to carry it with me for rehearsals so if it's too heavy, that will be a problem too !
Thats the beauty about the Jet City's.... they sound great quiet!

I think I still have some songs on my pc that I recorded with my pop/punk band using the JCA, if you're interested.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Sure ! I'd be glad to hear those
And I'll see, but if you tell me that the 22 plus a 1*12 cab is a bad choice for being in a band, I'll look for the 50
The 22 with a 1x12 would be ample. However, the 50 is better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah the 2x12 cab I linked has got Celestion V30 speakers which are the industry standard and way better than the stock speakers in the Jet city cab. The V30 are also rated at 100dB which is very loud and will deff help you if you get the 22h.

Put the 2x12 on its end and it will only take up the space of a 1x12 on the ground, but it also gets the speakers closer to your ears which will help a lot also. then you can stick the 22h on top of the 2x12 for a "mini stack"

I do this with my 1980 Jr and the 2x12 I have for it

not the same brands, but it will give you the visual of a mini head in a 2x12 sitting vertically
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cathbard

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Keep an eye out for used Peavey amps - 6505/5150, XXX, Ultra Plus combo amps. Those should meet your needs as well given that they come in 112 and 212 combo's and have plenty of power for gigging.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by Cathbard

This
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Robbgnarly
not the same brands, but it will give you the visual of a mini head in a 2x12 sitting vertically

The best amps are erect amps.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by noma92
Sure ! I'd be glad to hear those
And I'll see, but if you tell me that the 22 plus a 1*12 cab is a bad choice for being in a band, I'll look for the 50

Naw, I gigged last night with a 15w Fender tube 1x10. Drummer was loud as hell with a huge double kick DW kit and my guitar stayed right with him. After gigging for years with 4x12, 4x10, 2x12, I have found it's all pretty much overkill in the modern era. Pack a mic in your gig bag and with a 20w 1x12 you are set to gig Glastonbury.

Other guitarists will surely disagree. Opinions vary.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 27, 2015,
Sinking kinda shows what the cleans can do. I was using the TC Alter Ego on the MOD setting I believe

Battle Scars is a little heavier.

I hope it helps!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Sep 28, 2015,
Great choice dude, although you might want to go for the 50 watt version as suggested by others. I had the JCA22H and the Harley Benton 1x12 Vintage 30 cabinet and it was a wonderful combination. I mostly played it at home and it DOES sound GREAT at low volumes, but turned up at a jam it sounds amazing.

I also played a LTD EC-1000 through the Jet City (the Traditional version though with passive pickups) and it's a great combo.

You should certainly get a TS-type pedal to boost it (don't bother buying ibanez, buy any of the million chinese clones they are just as good IMO). I quickly learned that I really liked the "clean" channel (which is essentially a modded JCM800 so not so clean) better for heavy drop tuned music and boosted with a Tubescreamer it's perfectly capable of high gain drop tuned riffs.

Too bad I couldn't take it with me when I moved to a new country for university but I'll buy another one in the future for sure. These amps are way too good for their price point and I'd take one of those over most brand names priced way higher.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Sep 28, 2015,
Guys, thanks for all those replies !
I'll make my choice now, knowing what I'll buy !

Thanks again