Hi,

Like I said, sometime I don't know the song and also I don't know much about chord progression so I can't play the song but I can guess its chord with power chord and do you think it sound right and good with power chord?

I'm talking about normal song not metal or rock I mean general song.
...yes? Unless it's a diminished or augmented chord, then I'd suggest a tritone and dim 4th, respectively.

Can you give a more coherent example?
Um, power chords are more often used with electric guitars in rock and heavy metal, but I'm sure that it would work fine with power chords, whatever song you're looking at. Otherwise, electric guitars would never play them.

Having said that, power chords are really empty on acoustic guitar. You're going to have to be a good rhythm player or, better, learn the chords, in order to make it sound fuller.
Yeah, but you're essentially playing the base line at that point.

But, you don't know the song or it's chord progression? How can you guess the chords if you don't know the song? Are you trying to figure it out by ear?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
If you can find the power chord that fits, all you have to do is to add one note to it to make it minor or major. But yeah, power chords will work over almost all chords, because most chords have a root and a fifth in them.

When I try figuring out chords by ear, I listen to the bass. Then I listen to the chord quality. The bass doesn't always play the root (most of the time it does) so you need to be aware of that. For example if you hear it's a major chord, and the bass is playing the major third of the key scale, it may be the I chord in the first inversion (third in the bass), not necessarily an III major chord (that is non-diatonic to the key).

But yeah, power chords will most of the time work if you are not completely sure about the chord (I mean, you have figured out the root). But they may sound a bit empty.

I would suggest learning about keys and chord functions. That will help with figuring out chords by ear.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
What Maggara said ^^

You'll be able to kind of play the song but it won't sound quite right. Plus you'll eventually hit a chord that you can't replicate with a power chord somewhere in almost every song.

I used to fudge a lot of songs with power chords back in the day and it works, but once you actually learn how to play the chords and songs correctly, it is much more satisfying and sounds so much better.
Quote by NeoMvsEu
...yes? Unless it's a diminished or augmented chord, then I'd suggest a tritone and dim 4th, respectively.

Can you give a more coherent example?

what are you talking about, dim 4th? how's dim 4th augmented? dim 4th is a major third. you mean a #5, equivalent to a b13 but not the same function. The same way b5 can be #11 but then you are using a 6 and 4 respectively instead of the harmonic function of 5.

in two note power chords, C dim = c, b5 (tritone), C aug (or +) = c, #5
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
what are you talking about, dim 4th? how's dim 4th augmented? dim 4th is a major third. you mean a #5, equivalent to a b13 but not the same function. The same way b5 can be #11 but then you are using a 6 and 4 respectively instead of the harmonic function of 5.

in two note power chords, C dim = c, b5 (tritone), C aug (or +) = c, #5

Have you thought of inversions? A tritone is a tritone no matter how you look at it, but while C-G# is an Aug 5, G#-C is a diminished fourth. Also, when I think of power chords I think of two-finger ones like x22xxx, fifth in the bass.
Yes, you can do that and it won't sound bad. When I first started playing, I often did that when I was jamming with friends who were more skilled than me. It will work for you in that case, or if you're just playing around with a song for fun or something. That said, don't let it become a crutch. There's no substitute for good musicianship. If you seriously want to learn a song, especially if you want to play with other people or perform, go the extra mile and learn how to do it properly.
It like people know that I play guitar and they ask me to play their favorite and I can't.
I only play my song so I have to time to enjoy their song but I know how their song sound likie that why I want to learn chord by just first hearing. I'm not good at chord progression and it need me to note donw the whole thing to find a chord in a song.