Does anyone happen to know anything about the neck profiles of 70s Japanese Les Paul copies & whether they were based on Gibson equivalents?

Specifically, I have a 1976 Antoria (Ibanez) Les Paul custom w/bolt on neck. I love the super slim neck. Been thinking about upgrading to a Gibson, but I've tried a studio & and standard, and both had really thick necks.

Are there models or periods where Gibsons had thinner necks?
Quote by matthewa
Does anyone happen to know anything about the neck profiles of 70s Japanese Les Paul copies & whether they were based on Gibson equivalents?

Specifically, I have a 1976 Antoria (Ibanez) Les Paul custom w/bolt on neck. I love the super slim neck. Been thinking about upgrading to a Gibson, but I've tried a studio & and standard, and both had really thick necks.

Are there models or periods where Gibsons had thinner necks?

They were all over the place with necks.

almost all of the LP shapes from that era were based on the LP shape and were not direct clones/copy of Gibson. They just implemented the "open book" headstock design patented by Gibson.

I have a 70's Sanox LP clone and its neck was deff different/thinner than the LP studio I used to own.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
They were all over the place with necks.

Pretty much this.

Gibson necks aren't consistent, either, but it's unlikely you'll find a very slim neck in that pile. Current Gibsons may be more expensive, but are, objectively, not necessarily an "upgrade" guitar these days.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 27, 2015,
If you want a slim necked Gibson you should look for a used Classic, R0 or G0.
The Japanese Elitists necks are not too big either, between a 59 & 60's neck.
Moving on.....
Cheers all. I'll have to look up whether those models are available left handed.

Reason for 'upgrade' would be hotter pickups, better tuners and a set neck. Which I know I could get elsewhere, but there is also a bit of brand love in there if I can find one that plays as well as my copy.
look for any that claim "slim taper neck" and you would be in the ball park at least for the newer ones.

you could also get a contour gage at the hardware store and make some templates from card stock and compare them to the necks of guitars that you are interested in.

ultimately though your fingers need to do the walking.
My lawsuit era JP 335 clone has a very thin neck. These days it is nearly too thin and narrow at the nut for my hands.

Gibsons are quite variable.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY