Track title: ad orientem
Link to track: https://soundcloud.com/andresjam/andres-ad-orientem

Hey guys!

I've been itching to record lately. I bought Sonik Synth awhile back and I was really digging the sitar tone. This track is a little all-over-the-place genre-wise, so I won't do you the disservice of trying to pinpoint it :p. It is an instrumental track I recorded using REAPER, EZMIX, and EZDrummer. Let me know what you think! Also, please leave a link to your track or forum post and I'll give you folks a listen.

Thanks a bunch dudes!
I enjoyed the mix of styles in this one. It's proggy without being long-winded and annoying with it. I especially dig the screechy riffs at the beginning, and the sitar bit is cool. The drums shit all over mine!
Holy shit, you could kill a man with that intro. Crushing tone, and really compelling riffs, very nice Skillful leads as well, cool. I also like the mix, however I'm not even sure if there is a bass track, which is a slight problem. Those sitar bits sound very cool though, I'll have to check out that software too.

It's a really cool track. Nice work.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
That was a really cool song! I really enjoyed the bit where it slowed down and breathed a little. Your leads kept the song flowing very smoothly until then however. The drums were really fun, and I would love to hear some vocals in this one. Thanks for reviewing my song by the way man!
silvadollar,
Those harmonics are ear-piercing, but I'm sensitive to high frequencies; otherwise I like the guitar riffs. Can't hear a bass track if there is one. Some of the guitar playing could be tighter timing wise. I like the sitar! The other synth sound(s) are fine. Drums are good. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1687617
Very cool intro! Love the sound of the kick drum - a good balance of meat and click to the sound. Your style is a little discordant - it kinda reminds me of later era Gorguts.

The break with the clean guitar sounds awesome - that reminded me a little of early Opeth clean breakdowns. I kinda wish it developed more, bringing back in some light drums and drawing it out. The sitar sound fits perfectly.

I enjoyed the use of the synth too (I assume that is some kind of choir/vocal pad?). It added a cool vibe to that section.

It could really benefit from a good bass track to fill out the low end and give it that extra push in the heaviness department.

I'm really impressed with this - its a really cool track. I gave it a like on soundcloud.

If you fancy some c4c heres my track
Quote by KJP
I enjoyed the mix of styles in this one. It's proggy without being long-winded and annoying with it. I especially dig the screechy riffs at the beginning, and the sitar bit is cool. The drums shit all over mine!

Haha! That's actually one of my biggest attractions AND pet peeve's about proggy music. The build-ups take SO long (but a lot of time they're worth it!). I really try to work toward isolating the ideas which I think work without having a 10-minute build-up. That being said, I don't always capitalize off of developing certain melodies or parts. I do see the value of drawing out a track when it's warranted, though.

Quote by Kevätuhri
Holy shit, you could kill a man with that intro. Crushing tone, and really compelling riffs, very nice Skillful leads as well, cool. I also like the mix, however I'm not even sure if there is a bass track, which is a slight problem. Those sitar bits sound very cool though, I'll have to check out that software too.

It's a really cool track. Nice work.

Hey dude! Thanks for chiming in. That's a huge compliment! I actually do have a bass track in the song but evidently I didn't do a very good job of making it stand out in the mix. I think I went a little too gain heavy with the rhythm and lead guitars here.

Quote by aaron aardvark

silvadollar,
Those harmonics are ear-piercing, but I'm sensitive to high frequencies; otherwise I like the guitar riffs. Can't hear a bass track if there is one. Some of the guitar playing could be tighter timing wise...

I see the ear piercing harmonics as a good thing. But really, I do see they're a little over the top and some higher frequencies should probably be filtered. I agree that the guitar-work is not as tight as it could be. Back to the metronome!

Quote by Rabid Badger

Very cool intro! Love the sound of the kick drum - a good balance of meat and click to the sound. Your style is a little discordant - it kinda reminds me of later era Gorguts.

The break with the clean guitar sounds awesome - that reminded me a little of early Opeth clean breakdowns. I kinda wish it developed more, bringing back in some light drums and drawing it out. The sitar sound fits perfectly.

I enjoyed the use of the synth too (I assume that is some kind of choir/vocal pad?). It added a cool vibe to that section.

It could really benefit from a good bass track to fill out the low end and give it that extra push in the heaviness department.

I'm really impressed with this - its a really cool track. I gave it a like on soundcloud.

If you fancy some c4c heres my track

I actually thought about developing that clean part out more. I'm always paranoid that I'll bore the listener. It doesn't help that I make almost all of my tracks under three minutes hehe. That is indeed a choir setting from my synth software. I thought it would fit well and contrast with part immediately following it with the sitar. Thanks for your feedback!