Hi
I want to buy a macbook second hand and i have two options .

Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 i7 Quad Core 2,4 GHZ , 4 gb RAM , 180gb SSD Intel
and

Macbook Pro Retina 13" Late 2013 i5 dual core 2,4 ghz 8gb ram , 256 SSD

I want to record my guitar through logic pro and to create some music .i don t know if the retina macbook is good for this kind of work as well as the macbook pro 15".
I try to keep my projects as ”lean and clean” as possible and realistically my track count will be around 20-25 or 30 maximum.

I also want some portability and i know the macbook pro 15" is heavy.

So which is worth ?
More ram is always better. Max it out and get an outboard SSD for your music. I would choose the retina.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
More ram is always better. Max it out and get an outboard SSD for your music. I would choose the retina.

But mpr has quad core .... It s not worth?
It is unfortunate that the i5 is only a dual core, but an i5 from 2013 should still be enough, and the extra RAM and disk space definitely helps recording.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The 13" is the way to go, as others have said more RAM and more space. Honestly I'm still running a 2009 dual core with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200 RPM drive and I've never had any performance issues using Logic.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Definitely get the 15" one.

DAWs like more cores and more threads, and with the quad core i7 you have 8 threads.
With the dual core i5, which doesn't support multi-threading, you have 2.

Then get two 4GB ram banks and replace the ones in it and you're all set.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by andreyush
Hi
I want to buy a macbook second hand and i have two options .

Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 i7 Quad Core 2,4 GHZ , 4 gb RAM , 180gb SSD Intel
and

Macbook Pro Retina 13" Late 2013 i5 dual core 2,4 ghz 8gb ram , 256 SSD

I want to record my guitar through logic pro and to create some music .i don t know if the retina macbook is good for this kind of work as well as the macbook pro 15".
I try to keep my projects as ”lean and clean” as possible and realistically my track count will be around 20-25 or 30 maximum.

I also want some portability and i know the macbook pro 15" is heavy.

So which is worth ?

I wouldn't go with the SSD for you do NOT have the storage space there and will run out of space. However, you could go with a standard HDD and I would recommend 1TB. Or you could go with an external and as long as it's USB3.0 data transfer speeds won't be that bad. But 128 and 256GB with the intention of recording music you will run out of room FAST!
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
I'd also advise against SSD as it is expensive, but would rather suggest 10000rpm 1 gig drive or just work with the SSD on the PC and copy your projects to an external drive for storage.

LaCie drives are kinda like the unspoken industry standard so if you can get one to run off of Thunderbolt you'd be flying. This one with SSD might be worth it, depends on how much you're willing to spend:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822154693

or build your own enclosure.

I would not get any of the prepackaged external WD drives as they have horrible controllers. Already had two Passport drives spit out all kinds of problems. I replaced their enclosures with Rosewill enclosures and have had no issues since.

I'd get the newer one probably due to the 2011 being quite old at this point, so support for it would be cut off sooner.

If you plan to run more real time sims and synthesizer plugins/samples the quad will be better than the dual processor.

Make sure the software that you're getting works fine with the flavor OS X of either.
Last edited by diabolical at Sep 28, 2015,
I would go with the retina. Just a month ago I picked up my first mac mini. Couldn't tell you how happy I am with it. I was using windows 10 on my asus laptop, which got the job done recording and was great, but boy am I glad that I switched over to Apple.
Retina display looks gorgeous, but I'd tend to sway towards the 15" with the i7. It should be user upgradable for RAM and storage space. ~$250 extra would get you 16GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD. That machine would be a monster. 13" is also way smaller than I'd want to work with.

The Retina MBPs can't be upgraded in the RAM department, as it's soldered directly to the logic board. I think that model is old enough to still have an easily replaced SSD, though.

Really it comes down to processor for me, and price. I'd look up the CPUs used in both of those models and compare benchmarks between them. The i7 should definitely be quicker, but since its 2 years older, the i5 COULD be close, and its likely a much lighter system to carry around, if that's a concern.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Spambot_2
Definitely get the 15" one.

DAWs like more cores and more threads, and with the quad core i7 you have 8 threads.
With the dual core i5, which doesn't support multi-threading, you have 2.

Then get two 4GB ram banks and replace the ones in it and you're all set.

this is the way to go.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Finally i bought a Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012 ...But i have a question... I heard that rMBPs have a problem with the displays that Anti-Reflective display coating is wearing off... Should i be worried ? At all rMBPs it s happening ? My display looks fine but i want to know if the problem can show up in time . Thanks
Quote by andreyush
Finally i bought a Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012 ...But i have a question... I heard that rMBPs have a problem with the displays that Anti-Reflective display coating is wearing off... Should i be worried ? At all rMBPs it s happening ? My display looks fine but i want to know if the problem can show up in time . Thanks

Apple is working on a return/repair solution for the problem, so just keep your eyes peeled for any damage and check apple news sites like macrumors from time to time to see what they're doing about it. I know there was an article there a few days ago about how Apple is handling it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Hi I don't know much about the technology of today but I have a MacBook Pro laptop and I would like to plug my electric guitar into it and play it through my headphones or speaker can this be done? I also would like to record too. Can someone who has the experience please let us know how to do this.
Thank you all.
Quote by MACKENZDR
Hi I don't know much about the technology of today but I have a MacBook Pro laptop and I would like to plug my electric guitar into it and play it through my headphones or speaker can this be done? I also would like to record too. Can someone who has the experience please let us know how to do this.
Thank you all.

Just head out to Guitar Center or one of the online sites and look for a Mac compatible USB (Thunderbolt or Firewire - also possible depending on your system) audio interface.

Something like this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Presonus/Black-Audiobox-2x2-USB-Recording-System.gc#productDetail
I use a 2014 retina MBP 13" in the same config and it's honestly, fine. I can record stuff fine on it and even did some eleborate mixing project with quite a bit of vst's and it ran fine
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H