Hi gang, long time away from guitar.
Can anyone point me to somewhere I can learn to play songs like I knew the bride, From small things (big things one day come), Crawling from the wreckage etc, I learnt a basic blues thing like it years ago but I don't even know what the style is called.
I know we have the chords on the site for those specific songs but I want to learn how to play that kind of style, the kind of chugging blues/rock thing, hopefully you know what I mean!
in the case of Status Quo you are thinking of boogie so try looking that up. you migh look into Foghat's version of I Just Want To Make Love To You which is also along those lines. as for learning it try learning a few songs and you'll start to see some common elements that make the style.
I loved the Dave Edmunds/Nick Lowe/Rockpile stuff in the late 70's early 80's and played in a band that did a lot of it. It is deceivingly difficult sometimes to get the right feel even though the actual chords are fairly simple. Sometimes it's in Dave's chord inversions. One thing to do is to watch as much Dave Edmonds on YouTube as you can. Dave's version of "Queen of Hearts" in a good example and a nice place to start. It's got a very strange syncopated rhythm guitar part. Nick Lowe's "Cruel To Be Kind" is also a nice simple rhythm and fairly straight ahead.

Good choice of material. In the old days Dave loved to use a Gibson ES335 with a short tape delay on practically everything and big jumbo acoustics on rhythm. Lately I have seen him with a blond Tele. I understand that he is mostly retired from touring these days.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 29, 2015,