Page 1 of 2
Share your experience with streaming TV. Are there better offerings etc. The major service providers for cable and dish both nickel and dime you to death and I'm tired of switching around when my bill jumps from $69 to $89 then $170. There should be a law to control this activity.
Roku is the standard in my house. No satellite, no cable, just Roku. works very well
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Roku is the way to go. You can also use the Plex app to stream media directly from your PC
But is the quality high? I don't want pictures make of mega blocks on my 65 inch TV
Quote by rmoskal74
Roku is the way to go. You can also use the Plex app to stream media directly from your PC

ya? I think I'm going to go for it. Anything is better than this bullshit with cable.
I have Direct TV currently but I only watch about 30 or 40 of the channels given.
iPlayer.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by DukeDeRox
I have Direct TV currently but I only watch about 30 or 40 of the channels given.

invoice creep
Quote by Marrowoflife
yea - just a one time flat fee and that's it?

yep.

We pay for Amazon Prime and Netflix and Hulu, but we'd already been paying those anyway, so it just made sense to get rid of everything else. I think it's an economic bargain
it's all coming back

Roku was a good avatar, but I think he should have finished with the Fire Lord Azulon when he had the chance.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by Baby Joel
yep.

We pay for Amazon Prime and Netflix and Hulu, but we'd already been paying those anyway, so it just made sense to get rid of everything else. I think it's an economic bargain

sounds sort of familiar but what is Hulu?
Thanks for the info
Quote by Marrowoflife
sounds sort of familiar but what is Hulu?
Thanks for the info

Hulu is another streaming site. It became huge when it would stream shows for free, but you had to watch like three commercials or something, which really isn't that bad considering. They've changed their policy since then, but they are trying to compete hard with Netflix and Amazon, and they're doing pretty decent that way
it's all coming back

Well - I completely cancelled my current service and will probably end up back at ATT for internet. (yea)

I'm looking through the ROKU website and there are different offerings. Not sure that I understand the difference between getting the USB stick vs their other streaming device? Do you need your own router in either case?
Not necessarily.

Well, with the USB you would.

Looking at the Roku 2, it has an ethernet port that you can use for direct link to the internet. Wired, rather that wi-fi as it were.

I've not looked properly through the models, but here are my initial impressions:

The USB has the benefit of being invisible, essentially. Instead of having a long cord go down your tv to hook up with the Roku, the USB just direct connects to the TV. You must have wi-fi for this to work.

The others all work with a built in wireless capability (you would still need to have a personal network through a router). Roku 1 is the cheaper of the options. Roku 2 is definitely a step up and probably the best option for the average home, and the Roku 3 is overkill with motion-sensing remote and stuff.

So I'd recommend getting the Roku 2. Either get it connected to the internet via a router, or just cable it with an ethernet cable

Hope that helps
it's all coming back

thinking about getting a chromecast (or nexus player?) when I buy a tv. worth? or get roku?

I'm outside the US so I don't know how that will affect what I can see and shit, geolaws are outdated and dum
Quote by chaoticfables
thinking about getting a chromecast (or nexus player?) when I buy a tv. worth? or get roku?

I'm outside the US so I don't know how that will affect what I can see and shit, geolaws are outdated and dum

If cash isn't an issue, nexus player is definitely the best.
Judging from user reviews on kiwi sites, people seem to love it. They both have the same streaming services (Netflix amazon etc) as you would get on your computer.

Roku has the most apps by far, but if you don't really need to watch hd versions of turkish remakes of superman or whatever the 2056th app is, it doesn't have much more.

Roku is doing good at getting the most access to apps, but it would not surprise me if the nexus player (goodle product with android OS) overtook that
it's all coming back

Last edited by Baby Joel at Sep 27, 2015,
Quote by magnum1117 at #33613781
Roku was a good avatar, but I think he should have finished with the Fire Lord Azulon when he had the chance.

IIRC that was his biggest regret.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by magnum1117

It was Sozin you dummy.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Roku is the shit. I've got one that talks to my home media server with a couple terabytes of TV and movies archived on it.
Quote by Not a Les Paul
Roku is the shit. I've got one that talks to my home media server with a couple terabytes of TV and movies archived on it.

I forgot to point out that the Roku 2 model (and the 3) have a micro-sd slot. So essentially, you could fill a bunch of micro-sd's with films and tv shows and stuff, and then get rid of the internet cause you can just plug it into the Roku
it's all coming back

Imma try to be as informative as possible. Cable cutting is my life right now, and I'm always looking for the best solution to cable. Why? Because fuck Comcast. They suck.

OP there's two things I need to know? What do you want to do with your media device, and what's your budget?

I can do my best to answer the first question for you. There are a few scenarios for using a streamer/media player

1. You want a Netflix box.
You are willing to pay for services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and maybe HBO NOW. Great. Your bill will go from $180 or whatever to maybe $30 a month max if you get Netflix, Hulu, and HBONOW all at once. Plus the $99 for Prime if you really want that, but that's an annual payment. If that's all you want to do, then get a Roku.

2. You want to stream your own media collection to your tv.
Roku does it. Nexus player is better at it. You basically need 1 app if you are going to stream your stuff to the Roku. That's Plex. Plex is a home media server that connects to your internet and lets you stream movies, music, and other shit to your Roku. The only catch is that you have to pay for it if you want to use it with your Roku/device. The payment plans (called a Plex Pass) are kinda confusing. You can pay for a Plex Pass once with a flat fee of $150, or yearly for $40, oooorrr monthly for $5. The server itself is free. You can host all of your media on Plex, but to stream it to apps on devices like the Roku or your smart phone, you need a Plex Pass. It's kind of a rip-off but there are some perks to this. Mainly you can stream your media from anywhere on any internet connection. So if you're at work or school and you want to watch a movie that's on your pc, you can do it from wherever you're at.

3. You want all of the above.
Get a Nexus player.

Quote by Baby Joel
Judging from user reviews on kiwi sites, people seem to love it. They both have the same streaming services (Netflix amazon etc) as you would get on your computer.

Now for the actual devices. There are two main ones and their branches of devices. There's the Roku, that consists of the Roku 2, 3, and stick. There's the android tvs, which are the Nexus Player and the Nvidia Shield Console.

To get pricing out of the way.

Roku Stick - $50 through amazon
Roku 3 $100 through amazon
Nexus Player - usually 80$ but it looks like it's at $75 on amazon right now.
Nvidia Shield Console - $199 - Don't be alarmed there's a good reason for this.

I have the Roku stick. I love it, but it's been showing its age for some time now. It's laggy as fuck to begin with. Scrolling the UI and apps like Netflix is a chore compared to my brothers PS4. Even my smart tv puts it to shame sometimes, and the tv is 2 years old and dumb for a smart tv. The remote takes forever to connect, and when the batteries start to lose life, it just doesn't want to function. For premium Roku user experience, save up 50 more bucks and get a Roku 3. It's faster, and has a better remote. Youtube FUCKING SUCKS. Don't even bother watching Youtube through the youtube app on a Roku stick.

That being said, if money truly isn't an issue for you, get a Nvidia Shield Console. It's the same exact thing as a Nexus player but has the ability to stream steam games through some weird tech shit. It also has a service that lets you steam AAA titles to the player like Shadow of Mordor and play it like that. Most people I talk to, say the Shield Console is by far the best box since the Roku.

The biggest difference between the Roku and Shield/Nexus is app selection. Nexus has all the big name players like Hulu, Netflix, etc. Roku has a ton more niche channels. The one app that Nexus/Shield has that Roku doesn't is Kodi. Kodi is like Plex except you can stream content to it. (Through non legal means...)

Through my research, the Nexus player will be just fine if you don't want the game streaming capabilities of the Shield Console. It's faster than the Roku, and has a better looking UI if you really like Android. It doesn't have a bajillion apps but it has all the ones that matter.

Personally I recommend the Shield Console if can save up the money. It can stream 4k videos. It has bells and whistles. It looks like a sexy as shit compared to the rest of these plain black shapes.

The Roku is great, but I think we're at a point where there are other products that are just better than it.

I wouldn't get a Roku stick again, and even the 3 is going to be outdated soon.

Take this info and do what you want.

TLDR: Get a nexus player. And an antenna for OTA channels.

JAKEDIT: No matter what you do, know that you are buying into a new world. The first month or two is gonna suck. You're gonna miss cable, and at times it won't seem like it's worth it. It's gonna cost some money to get into it too. Once the feeling of missing cable wears off, you will realize that this is the way to go.
Last edited by Jako215 at Sep 28, 2015,
It depends on why you want to use it. I wrote a review for the Amazon Fire TV that addresses the Roku too. So I will just copy and paste that instead of re-typing another explanation/suggestion:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX5P8FC?ref_=cm_cr-mr-title

Bought this as a bundle with the game controller and the HDMI cable. Can't comment on the HDMI cable for I gave that to the same person I gave away my old/original Roku which this replaced.

Using my existing HDMI cable, and having a Prime account this was a cinch to setup. I also chose to go with wired over wireless for wired is faster and wireless is not 100% reliable.

There are a few aspects to look at this and understand this is coming from a 41 year old male that is a long time user of the Roku and I also and still own the Roku 3 upstairs.

1. In comparison to the Roku or Roku 3 it's better in some aspects and others not so much. If you want to use this strictly for Amazon Prime Movies/Music/Games then it's well worth the money. If you are going to use this just to stream lets say Netflix and that will be your primary reason for this then go elsewhere.

2. Netflix and other services work on this, but in comparison to lets say Roku (any of their versions) navigating to things that aren't Amazon specific takes a bit more effort to locate.

3. Now, if you are utilizing Amazon Movies and Games then this thing is a better choice. I really dove head first into the games and love it. I picked more games than I have played but being a casual gamer that doesn't want to spend hours being good at a game it's the perfect choice. Yes you can get more from XBOX and Playstation, but if you are a casual gamer and have specific things you like and don't want to put hours to develop skill then this is for you. I have played a kick-ass driving game (2 actually) and a shark game. All 3 of those are my favorite. I bought and installed the game of "Life" for my fiance but yet to play it but looks good so far.

4. The voice command SO OVERRATED!!! I tried it twice and I think it's completely lame and totally unnecessary. Hell I barely talk to Siri on my IPhone and now I have this Amazon thing. Pass! Just glad that wasn't their primary selling feature for if it was then I wouldn't have even bothered with this unit.

5. I almost bought the Fire Stick but if you really look at the games and size and other items, the Stick is very limiting. In fact, the Stick is perfect for one particular thing IMHO: traveling. If you are a big traveler especially to hotels that offer WIFI and the ability to plug into their HDMI ports then the stick is a good choice for that. Past that the Fire TV is a better choice.

6. Google compatible Flash Drives for this device for if you download as much as I did you will run out of space quickly. I went with a 128GB PNY Flash Drive USB 3.0 but hasn't arrived it so can't comment on it past that.

So again, it really depends on why you want a streaming device. Amazon specific services this is perfect but for other services not Amazon specific I personally would recommend Roku.

This is one thing I didn't expect but it's not a big deal. I personally own/use a Logitech Harmony Remote and was using that for the Roku before I replaced it with this. The universal remote I own uses infrared where the Amazon Fire TV is bluetooth. Keep that in mind if that is important to you to be able to use your universal remote for this. If that is an issue, the only thing I can tell you is get the bluetooth universal remote OR just use the universal remote to set it to the TV to the correct input.

The choice is yours.

***Update on 6/1/2015***
Since my last review I have received/installed the 128GB PNY USB 3.0 Flash Drive. I also immediately transferred all the games that I downloaded to the device. 2 nights ago from today I played several of the games one being very graphical and large in size. I couldn't tell any difference with the device currently being stored on the USB to when I played it and it was stored on the device itself. So in short whether it's the Flash Drive I chose or how it works there was zero negative results of doing that.

The only thing I didn't like and probably isn't a big deal is now that the flash drive is installed, I can't see the present situation with storage on the local device. I did check the flash drive and it's has a ton of room. Also note while it's a 128GB Flash Drive it does not truly provide 128GB of storage space; but what storage space it does provide is more than sufficient. There is no need to presently concern with yourself on storage. If you do, cut back on how much you download at a time to the device.

Last thing, I also downloaded a new game and it defaulted without prompting me to where to install/download to. So after I did that I transferred it to the flash drive and like all the other transfers that took 5-seconds or less.

To conclude I am pleased with this device and choosing to buy it. With that said, I still prefer Roku in some ways, and other ways I prefer the Amazon. If I could change anything on the Amazon Fire TV it would be two things:
1. Remove the voice command. IMHO it's not a selling point and quite pointless.
2. I would embrace what you have with the Roku 3 and add the ability to plug-in headphones to the remote. Great tool when you want to watch TV and not disturb the person next to you that is sleeping before they go to work that night.

No plans to update this review anymore unless something causes me to do so. Feel free to ask questions if you have any but I feel I pretty much covered everything.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Last edited by fingerguy at Sep 28, 2015,
Wow - Thanks for all that info. I only need a few channels CSNBA (Baseball), ESPN, CNN, Discovery and Science would also be nice. I use to stream netfix and might try that again eventually. That's it, really basic..

I just bought the Roku 2, then.. checked back here. I didn't expect all this advice would show up, sort of thought this thread would have fizzed out by now. Dang maybe I should have got the nexus player since it only $73.99

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Nexus-Player-Google-ASUS/dp/B00S8U5A7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1443477189&sr=1-1&keywords=nexus+player

I should also mention that I'm not on a tight budget, it just drives me crazy when my bill keeps going up. (invoice creep) It's an obvious not to mention blatent rip off.

If Roku is a one time fee for the device do you also pay a one time fee for HBO and Showtime?
Last edited by Marrowoflife at Sep 28, 2015,
I lived off only Roku for a couple years before I got Direct TV again. A Roku is like getting a salad when you're hungry. It gets you by, but you still want a burger.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Baby Joel

Roku has the most apps by far, but if you don't really need to watch hd versions of turkish remakes of superman or whatever the 2056th app is, it doesn't have much more.

Roku is doing good at getting the most access to apps, but it would not surprise me if the nexus player (goodle product with android OS) overtook that

You knew I was a kiwi yeah after some research I have to say I agree, most of the apps I use are there. The Roku UI also looks really clunky to me. They really got the UI right with Android TV. I have to import the nexus player from overseas though, they don't sell it here in stores so it could be a lot pricier than Chromecast (which they do) or Roku (which is comparatively cheaper to ship in).

I don't have Netflix atm but will get it next year (currently have a shitty data cap which means I'll be paying for nothing). Even then the geolaws are outdated as shit, NZ Nitflux doesn't even have House of Cards.
Quote by Marrowoflife
Hey will 12Mbps connection be good enough?

yeah for sure. should be good

Quote by chaoticfables
You knew I was a kiwi

it's all coming back

So I've hooked it (Roku+Netflix subscription) up last night and seems pretty cool so far.
Netflix seems to be getting creative with their own original series like HBO, Narcos looks promising and they have some others that I'll be checking out soon. (That was pretty smart to branch out for survival).

Is it possible to browse any site? I just thought of something now. It would be nice to be able to play tab pro on my TV, then I can practice guitar on the couch..
Last edited by Marrowoflife at Oct 1, 2015,
Why not a Roku3? I prefer that model just for the audio input on the hand/remote. Nice feature that comes in handy more times than you realize.
Quote by Marrowoflife
Share your experience with streaming TV. Are there better offerings etc. The major service providers for cable and dish both nickel and dime you to death and I'm tired of switching around when my bill jumps from $69 to $89 then $170. There should be a law to control this activity.

I'm on Xfinity/Comcast. I had the "Triple Play" package and it was running me $214 a month. $36 of my monthly bill was for the Modem/Wifi tower and DVR "rentals". Those items were fully paid for years ago and I demanded Comcast drop the equipment charges. They refused, and as a consequence lost all of my service except for the broadband service. That's about $150 bucks a month they'll lose because they were cheap asses about $36 of equipment rentals.

I bought a high speed wifi modem ($90) that will pay for itself in less than 3 months (since I'm no longer paying "equipment rental" fees). I'm paying $8.95 a month for Netflix...which combined with my internet bill brings my entertainment to a whole whopping $76 a month. That's a helluva lot better than $214. Plus...no commercials!

I'm considering getting a Roku, but I'm also curious about the Amazon Fire Stick.
Quote by TobusRex
I'm on Xfinity/Comcast. I had the "Triple Play" package and it was running me $214 a month. $36 of my monthly bill was for the Modem/Wifi tower and DVR "rentals". Those items were fully paid for years ago and I demanded Comcast drop the equipment charges. They refused, and as a consequence lost all of my service except for the broadband service. That's about $150 bucks a month they'll lose because they were cheap asses about $36 of equipment rentals.

I bought a high speed wifi modem ($90) that will pay for itself in less than 3 months (since I'm no longer paying "equipment rental" fees). I'm paying $8.95 a month for Netflix...which combined with my internet bill brings my entertainment to a whole whopping $76 a month. That's a helluva lot better than $214. Plus...no commercials!

I'm considering getting a Roku, but I'm also curious about the Amazon Fire Stick.

In comparison to the stick the Roku is better. If you primarily use Amazon Prime OR you want to play games then get the Fire TV. My previous post explains it in great details.
Quote by fingerguy
Why not a Roku3? I prefer that model just for the audio input on the hand/remote. Nice feature that comes in handy more times than you realize.

I don't have a detailed explanation, I just looked at their site, didn't see anything listed under 3 that made me like it better. Figured I just need to jump in and find out since I tend to get auto ADD when trying to compare offerings like this.

Do you know if Roku 2 or 3 can get Tab Pro up on my TV screen somehow?
Last edited by Marrowoflife at Oct 1, 2015,
I have no idea for I never tried. When it comes to my playing it's very organic: no electronics involved. Music is on paper, and guitar is always an acoustic. I spend enough time with technology at my job I don't need it part of my hobby.
Page 1 of 2