Hello,
I have used few years AKG K240 Studio Headphones (55 Ohms) but I cant wear them for a long period because it is starting to hurt and I thought that it is time to upgrade. I was thinking about getting DT 770. Mainly I use headphones for recording guitar, mixing and mastering (I know that I should have monitors but portability is a problem for me). Is there smth better in this price range and smth that built like a tank?
Also I don't know if my audio interface (Roland Quad Capture UA-55) will drive 80 Ohms DT 770. What do you think?
Last edited by EY8CC at Sep 27, 2015,
Quote by EY8CC

I have used few years AKG K240 Studio Headphones (55 Ohms) but I cant wear them for a long period because it is starting to hurt

I was thinking about getting DT 770.

Why? Why do you think that getting the DT770 is going to fix the problem? The K240 is semi-open back while the DT 770 is closed back, they'll probably fatigue your ears even more.

Honestly, both the AKG and the Beyerdynamic are nice headphones, and the Beyerdynamic wouldn't be an upgrade per say, they're on the same level as far as quality goes as far as I know. The DT770 might even be worse for you.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD380's, and they're great. Not geared towards any part of the frequency spectrum in particular, so they could work for what you're doing. I've done a few minor sessions on them, but nothing crazy.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
The Beyer DT990 have pretty comfy ear pads if ya ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
What about Ohms? From what resistance rate I need to have Preamp?
It's impedance, not resistance, and the headphones' output on your interface is a power amp, not a preamp.

The thing will not have any problem driving 80ohm cans if it can drive 60ohm ones.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
OP: DT770 are great, very comfortable. A little bass hyped, especially coming down from the AKGs (I also have the AKGs you have). An extra plus is the closed back design when tracking in a loud room as there's essentially no bleed. You can also easily adjust mics on amps, snare, etc. while all this racket is going on around you.

They work great for what you need and I wholeheartedly suggest that you get them.

I am surprised the AKG 240 is actually uncomfortable, maybe time for new pads?
Last edited by diabolical at Sep 28, 2015,
Spambot 2
Thank you for info :-)

diabolical
Well I don't own AKG for a long time. They still look like new pads do to.
Do you think that DT700 are better than a AKG? Or they were made for different purpose?
All the Beyerdynamic headphones I've owned felt like clouds on my ears

For accuracy, I'd say the DT770s aren't as good as my Audio Technical ATH-M50s, but they're far more comfortable. If you don't mind them being open back and spending a bit more, the DT990s are some of the most accurate headphones I've used.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Consider some open back hifi headphones.

The wishlist would be a pair of these: http://www.hifiman.com/#1
I had a chance to demo them. Incredible!!!

The more practical but still incredible (and multiple price breaks) are Grados: http://www.gradolabs.com

Grado Prestige SR 225e Full Size Headphones around $200 will get you great sound and comfort.
Spend 2 days burning them in and you will be very very happy.

New Community for Creative Artists, Rehearsal Spaces, Venues, and Studios. Join Here!