So this question is probably the ultimate proof that I should spend some cash on proper guitar lessons, but anyway, I need a quick and preferably free solution for this one.

When picking the top string, the bottom string gets uncovered by my picking hand and sometimes starts to make noise. It's really irritating but I don't really know how to solve it. I got some big hands but I can't find an angle where I can pick the top strings and cover the bottom string at the same time. What do you guys do? I have checked some YouTube guides about muting but haven't found one that covers this topic.
Sorry, which strings are you referring to when you say bottom and top? It'd be more helpful for yourself and others now and in the future if you refer to the strings by their appropriate names. That'd be either the E or high e string in this situation. I have no idea what you consider top / bottom :|

I thiiink you mean the E string rings out when you're playing the high e? This is unusual. Your picking hand should always be resting on the bridge in a manner which allows for comfort and easy muting across all strings. If the E string is ringing out then it's likely your hand isn't resting enough on the bridge.

That being said, when you play muted sections on the lower strings then generally the further your hand is positioned up the bridge and closer to the neck the more of a compressed, "trebley" sound you'll get. When your hand is closer to the bridge you get a larger more bass heavy sound.
Last edited by vayne92 at Sep 27, 2015,
Quote by vayne92
Sorry, which strings are you referring to when you say bottom and top? It'd be more helpful for yourself and others now and in the future if you refer to the strings by their appropriate names. That'd be either the E or high e string in this situation. I have no idea what you consider top / bottom :|

I meant bottom, as the one with the lower pitch. But to rephrase the problem. The lowest bass string gets unmuted and gives away noise when playing around doing bends and such with the string that is highest in pitch.
Last edited by Guitarxor at Sep 27, 2015,
Quote by Guitarxor
I meant bottom, as the one with the lower pitch. But to rephrase the problem. The lowest bass string gets unmuted and gives away noise when playing around doing bends and such with the string that is highest in pitch.

Okay yeah I thought so. It's quite undoubtedly a technique issue, however, I haven't come across someone having this issue before.. If you're playing the higher strings then your picking hand should be resting over the bridge muting those bass notes.

The only way I see this not being a technique issue is if you have an absolutely absurd amount of gain and bass. I'm going to assume you're not running 5 metal zone pedals in to a 6505+ though.
Quote by vayne92
Okay yeah I thought so. It's quite undoubtedly a technique issue, however, I haven't come across someone having this issue before.. If you're playing the higher strings then your picking hand should be resting over the bridge muting those bass notes.

The only way I see this not being a technique issue is if you have an absolutely absurd amount of gain and bass. I'm going to assume you're not running 5 metal zone pedals in to a 6505+ though.

My hand is big, but if I'm playing the top string with the string next to it muted, the bottom string is free. I can't see how it otherwise even could be physically possible.

It's usually not an issue, but if I'm going down almost vertically on the top strings the bottom string gets a pull-off by my palm and starts giving off some subtle noise. It could be because I have an extremely light bottom string, .025 or something. That one is easily set off.
It would be really helpful if you could post a picture of your picking hand, right now it's hard to tell why exactly this is happening and it could be any number of things. Really anyone who's suggesting a solution right now is guessing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.