so I have an opportunity to snag a carvin x100b for dirt cheap....and I was wondering what the general consensus was on them. ive owned a few carvin products mainly the legacy 1 and a v3m. I have searched for a few demos on youtube but most of them were crap recorded with an iphone.

here is what im looking for
reliability
overall sound
flexability

thanks
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I actually just picked one up today. I just got rid of my JCM 800 for monetary reasons and needed something cheap to fill in a void.

For the price these go for used, the amp is the biggest steal I've ever seen. Ever. The five-band EQ, spring reverb, variable output, and effects loop are all solid.

I love it, personally. And I'm very tough to please with amps. I think it can cover a ton of ground, with the great cleans and amount of gain on tap. It's got the compression of the high gain amplifiers, but the voicing is more vintage than something like a Mesa. I haven't been able to turn the volume knob much at all. It's loud.

Mine is a Series IV reissue, which I hear has superior overdrive to the originals. All series should have great cleans.
that sounds superb! im just waiting on the guy to email me back.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

I have an '89 (or '88) XV 112B (the "B" means that it came originally with the 100W "British" voiced speaker, but I've had an EV-L in it now and again, which would make it an XV112E for that period <G>. The X100B was discontinued for a time, and the new reissue is a bit different. The transformers are smaller, and it's not quite as loud. Early versions came with Rocket 50's, and you should dump those for something else (vintage 30's?) ASAP. Big difference in volume and sound. The *good* news is that the reissue comes with a digital reverb (mine has a Hammond spring unit) and the digital is not only a bit hardier, but sounds better as well. IMHO, of course,

The X100B is a brutal, very loud amp. Mine will outshout any similarly equipped Marshall with the same speaker set. It's actually very similar to an early Mesa, both in appearance and in capability, and that's a very good thing. Controls are active (not passive) and there's a LOT more control there than on most passive-controlled amps. For all of that it has a really good clean channel with an amazing amount of headroom.
thank you. this is making me want one more and more.
basically im searching for one of 2 things a solid backup for my 5150 or to replace the 5150 for my current band. we are a hair metal/80's cover band with some classic rock thrown in. obviously the 5150 is to modern sounding for the classic rock but with my rig I can pull it off. it handles the hair metal just fine but id rather have something less modern.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

I'd think you could get some pretty awesome hair metal sounds out of the Carvin, but also get even heavier if that was your goal. I've played a reissue and an older head with the fuzzy covering. Both were killer, and definitely a sleeper in terms of quality of sound and build.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by patriotplayer90
I actually just picked one up today. I just got rid of my JCM 800 for monetary reasons and needed something cheap to fill in a void.

For the price these go for used, the amp is the biggest steal I've ever seen. Ever. The five-band EQ, spring reverb, variable output, and effects loop are all solid.

I love it, personally. And I'm very tough to please with amps. I think it can cover a ton of ground, with the great cleans and amount of gain on tap. It's got the compression of the high gain amplifiers, but the voicing is more vintage than something like a Mesa. I haven't been able to turn the volume knob much at all. It's loud.

Mine is a Series IV reissue, which I hear has superior overdrive to the originals. All series should have great cleans.

I have a Carvin X-100B, that I bought in 1986 to use on a temp basis because my Marshall JCM 800 went capoot and was in for repairs.
The Carvin blew away the Marshall by a long shot due to the versatility of the 5 band EQ. I still have it ( and the JCM 800).
The X-100B is in the same ball park as a JCM 800 but can be moded by the EQ to sound like a Mesa-Boogie Mark 3. That amp was criminally under rated in the 1980's.
sadly the amp I was looking at sold and I don't think ill buy one new. these things go cheap used and its awesome. ill just have to keep my eye out for another one to pop up. thanks for all the replies though I'm pretty well sold on it.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board