Hi All,
I recently impulse purchased a very cool home-relic'd 1996 MIM Strat. It's nice, has a great neck with comfy medium frets, but there is one thing that sticks out about it thats really throwing me for a loop -

It has three standard strat single coils, but a four way switch. Has anyone seen this before?
New England Style Alt - falseindigo.bandcamp.com
Sultry Cosmic Rock - pinfinger.bandcamp.com
90s Death Metal shit - slavestatedeath.bandcamp.com
CT Hardcore Punk - contemptct.bandcamp.com
Last edited by mxlct at Sep 28, 2015,
sounds aftermarket to me, though i'm by no means a fender strat 'expert', have you tried it out to see what config it is? (simply plug it in, turn amp on etc and go through each swtich position and tap the pickup pole with a coin, it should make a tinny thump sound through your amp if the pup is selected, and no noise through amp if not). I personally would have positions 1, 2, 3 & 4 if i had to choose 4 of the 5 options, but it might also be 1, 2, 4 & 5. try it out and get back to us.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
It didn't happen. There are no photos, so it didn't happen and it doesn't exist.
are you sure you aren't counting the throws? there are 5 positions and 4 throws on a strat.

as it has been stated, tap on the pickups and see what you hear.

i have literally owned a dozen strats through time, and the only one i have ever had anything with anything other than a five way was a three way, no inbetween settings.

i currently own a '95 or '96 (i don't remember which but i am thinking '96), but the switch is five way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, definitely a four-way - four positions. I tapped on the magnets and found the positions to be:

brige
bridge and middle
middle and neck
neck

Very strange. It's also been a LONG time since i owned a strat - so i don't quite rememver which tone knobs correspond with which pickups - but i couldn't figure adjust the tone of the middle pickup at all. Hard to tell if the lower tone knob actually even functioned.

This fiasco coupled with a buzzy input jack made me say screw it and return the thing. On the hunt for another cheap MIM strat now!
New England Style Alt - falseindigo.bandcamp.com
Sultry Cosmic Rock - pinfinger.bandcamp.com
90s Death Metal shit - slavestatedeath.bandcamp.com
CT Hardcore Punk - contemptct.bandcamp.com