Hello all,

Some might have seen me posting threads asking for advice on new guitars and amps, and as I've been helped really well by everyone on here I kinda figured I need some help with another subject: pedals.

20-year old guitar player here. Mainly the blues, like SRV/Jimi/Jimmy, or funk like Slovak/Frusciante, but I basically play all sorts of music when I'm just practising in my bedroom, metal/jazz/folk/classic rock, you get the idea.

Currently got a Keiper Les Paul (really cheapo, will get an upgrade (strat/telec) soon), Line Six Spider III 15w (to be upgraded soon) and I've got a Boss DS-1 (meh) and Crybaby Wah (still ok).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got about £600 available, more within the coming months, but as I've no experience or knowledge about the best pedals, apart from top 10's or forums on here, I need some help from you lads. Please, if you'd be so kind, suggest me the pedals you'd buy if you were me, it'll be really appreciated. I've added a few indications of how badly I need one, expressed within £.

Distortion:
Currently aiming for Big Muff Deluxe, Blues Driver BD-2W or a Tube Screamer (vintage or not?) Budget: max. £150 2nd hand (unless vintage TS)

Reverb:

I have no idea actually, Electro-Harmonix Cathedral? Boss RV-5? Boss Fender Reverb 63? - Willing to spend up to £120 2nd hand

Delay:
Boss DD-1/DD-3/DD-5/DD-6/DD-7? - Electro Harmonix Memory Man Deluxe? - Won't spend more than £100 (2nd hand)

Looper:
Ditto any good? Or Boss RC-? - Willing to spend up to £120 (new or 2nd hand)

Chorus:
Boss CH-1/CH-3? Any others?
Note: I don't use Chorus a lot, so might be best to keep it within a budget of max. £70 (2nd-hand)

Other:

What other pedals would you advise me? Compression? Equaliser? Others?

Any response is enourmously appreciated!

Thank you all.
Hmm. You're not sure what amp you are going to get and you are looking at pedals now. If you get a modelling amp, pedals might hinder you more than help you here. Some modelers do not like pedals. And you've got 600 to spend on pedals, but only 300 to spend on the amp? I'd flip that. The amp is much more important than the pedals you use, I would say. Again, some amps really don't take pedals well.

Check my reply I posted in the amp thread of yours.

As far as pedals go when you do get a decent amp:

Overdrive: Either a TS9 or a Klone, depending on your tastes. I prefer Klones myself. Maybe look up some comparison vidyas between the two types. Electro-Harmonix Soul Food is a good starter Klone.

Delay: Boss DD's are fine.

Distortion: Ehhh. For metal, a lot of the gain comes from the amp, then boosted a bit by an overdrive. I wouldn't do the same for amps like I listed in the other thread. MAYBE The DOD Boneshaker could get you something like that. The parametric EQ could help a lot. Definitely use a bridge pickup setting with it though. Big Muff for vintagey distortion of course.

Reverb: TC Electronic Hall of Fame Mini to get you started. A HRD has a reverb tank in, so unless you need more than that you don't need a reverb pedal.

Others: If you buy an amp with an effects loop, you might like a multi effects unit like the Zoom G3 for delays and reverb and the like. Save you a bit of money, solid unit.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 28, 2015,
If you have money to spend guitar and amp should be way up there over and above pedals. For Blues a good guitar and amp combination could well mean you don't need anything else. Either way that should be your starting point and foundation. From there you should be able to establish what you need more of yourself. Often pedals are employed to try to overcome an amps shortcomings. Far better to get an amp that produces the sound you want (if possible) than contaminate and colour the signal with pedals.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
^ Came here to say this, well close to it at least.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
yeah get a new amp and guitar first. pedals are the place you can cheap out (IMO), £50 pedals are often just fine if you know what you're doing and know the circuit you want, often there are cheaper clones available.

also you want to know what the amp is so you can sort of get pedals which suit it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
another vote for buy a way better amp. i play a fair amount of blues rock and honestly you don't need a ton of fx to do it. a tube amp will work way better than a modeler for that style for starters. then an overdrive, fuzz for jimi (but not totally necessary) an wha which wasn't on your list at all and a delay.

Overdrive - basic tubescreamer style will work just fine. you don't need a vintage one at all. on a budget a Digitech Bad Monkey will do just fine or something like a Mooer TS style (chinese mini pedals)

Wha - i personally prefer Morley's but there are any number of affordable whas that will work for you. for much of what you mentioned a wha is pretty essential.

Delay - nothing fancy is needed perhaps an MXR carbon copy would be a good place to start.

reverb - well if you get an amp with built in reverb then that is as good a place to start as any

looper - i don't use them so someone else will have to recommend one

chorus - can be nice to have but not really essential. i bought a DOD FX 65 in the mid 80s and never had the urge to replace it. they turn up on ebay fairly cheap but are gaining popularity as it is an excellent analog chorus.

again get a decent amp as that is the heart and soul of your tone. fx are the icingh on the cake and for what you want you really only need a minimum of them.
Well, judging from my experience, i'd firstly get a decent guitar, a decent tube amp, a decent multi-fx, and then decent pedals.

But, from what i see though, you play lots of different styles like me, and i'd have to say that if you're just starting, you might enjoy a modeler a lot.

I have for instance a Laney LC30, and when i play with it through the Mesa Boogie Cab Clone, the sound is really not that much better than the PODxt simulation. And you probably being from Europe or US, you could get a more decent modeler like the POD HD for instance.

All in all the options are many, but if you have the urge to play lots of different styles and don't have much money, i'd get a good guitar with professional pickups first, then a decent modeler, than an overdrive analog pedal, and then a valve amp.

Never forgetting that with the decent modeler you can record and play along backing tracks, which is a very important thing nowadays.
Thanks for all replies!
Quite a clear message, get a new amp and guitar first. Thing is, I'm gonna get all within a month or two. Got about 2000 to spend on total.

Judging from all replies, there's a damn lot of options.
So, including guitar and amp, what would you buy in total? A fender telecaster/strat? And as amp a voxac4c1? Peavey tube 60? Fender super champ x2? Fender Excelcior? Vox vt120? (or something)

What'd be the best combination?

Note: If anyone thinks I'm too lazy to search myself: it's because I found out there are brilliant people on here, who seem to enjoy talking with and helping other people. The best way to learn and get the best equipment. Thanks again, everyone.
Quote by Joost1795
Thanks for all replies!
Quite a clear message, get a new amp and guitar first. Thing is, I'm gonna get all within a month or two. Got about 2000 to spend on total.

So, including guitar and amp, what would you buy in total? A fender telecaster/strat? And as amp a voxac4c1? Peavey tube 60? Fender super champ x2? Fender Excelcior? Vox vt120? (or something)

Note: If anyone thinks I'm too lazy to search myself: it's because I found out there are brilliant people on here, who seem to enjoy talking with and helping other people. The best way to learn and get the best equipment. Thanks again, everyone.

you have to decide what will work best for you. this of course is based on what tones you want and personal preference. based on teh guitar players metnioned a strat does seem like a good choice.

you'll get a ton of answers and most likely no two will be exactly the same. personally i use strats mainly but i also use a BC Rich Eagle for blues rock. this is obviously not exactly standard issue for that style. it sounds like a les paul and feels better playing wise (never got along with LPS). again my amps aren't exactly blues approved but i play hard rock and older metal as well. the ticket of course is getting an amp that can deliver those tones with a minimum of compromise (i use a peavey valveking and a peavey Ultra 2x12)

actually trying out gear is the best way to find out what works for you. advice is great and all but hands on is the ticket. don't feel that you must stick with tried and true items either.
Start with the amp, decide what you like tone wise and get it. I play a lot of blues and blues rock and I use a modded Jet City, it has the same channels as the Soldano Lucky 13, sparkling cleans and the SLO overdrive, the 2 channel 22W heads and combos do a great job too though. Other good options could be the Marshall DSL40C, A Vox AC15 or AC30, Fender Blues Junior, Deluxe Reverb, Deville. You really need to play them if you can, or at least watch a crap ton of YouTube vids.

Then decide what style of guitar you want (strats and Les Pauls are the most popular but arch tops, teles, super strats all get used too) and buy the best one of those you can afford. Always pays to play these things in person, best isn't always the most expensive. I recently took a trip to Andertons and played a few master built fenders, the £6000 John Cruz I didn't get on with at all, but I loved the master built Clapton Strat that was only ('only') £2500. I also own and use two Epiphones, not found a Gibson yet that I prefer so I'm still using the cheapies.

Then work out what pedals you need. For blues/blues rock you can get away with just an overdrive to begin with, especially if the amp has built in reverb. The digitech bad monkey is cheap and very effective.

EDIT: on the pedal front, check out Andertons for Tone City Pedals, really great mini pedal at £40-50 a pop, and if you order 2 or 3 (can't remember off the top of my head how many) they'll throw in a free 5 way power supply. Check out the Bad Horse for drive, the delay, reverb and chorus are all fairly self explanatory.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Sep 28, 2015,
here is what i have put together recently for a blues and hendrix type of setup.

strat/tele > fulltone clyde > voodoo lab proctavia > malekko wolftone fetish > hermida zendrive > fulltone OCD >voodoo lab microvibe > malekko 616 > orange dual terror > orange PPC212

that is probably out of budget, but that nails everything for me. i get singing SRV and hendrix tones out of it.

on a budget, i would look into

dunlop 535q > klone of some kind > tubescreamer variant > fuzz of some form > modulation pedal of some kind > reverb > delay > decent tube amp > decent cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks everyone!

To be clear: If I could, I'd be in the local shop everyday, but sadly I'm too busy with school and internship, so I can't really go at all, except maybe once in three weeks. But, ofcourse, before I'll buy anything I'm definitely gonna check it out. Why do I still ask so much? Because I love learning from others, sorting out all recommendations, going to the store with a huge list and check out everything that's there. Can't wait actually. You've all helped me a lot so far.

So to get this straigth:

Strat/Tele - Price range: between £400-750 - A used Fender probably? Gonna try lots, definitely. Am gonna try out other guitars too, but judging by my favourite performers I think it's got to be Strat or Tele. Probably a strat. Any other suggestions?

Amp - all tube, something Peavey/Vox/Fender - price range: up to £600 as long as it's amazing on low volume and has a great reverb. Probably gonna look into Fender Super Champ X2/Excelcior/Blues Jr III/Deluxe Reverb or Vox AC4C1/AC10C1 or Peavey Classic 30/Peavey Tube 60, and maybe others like Orange/Laney amps.

Effects

Distortion: Seen a lot of votes for the Digitech Bad Monkey. If it doesn't sound similar to a Tube Screamer, I'm gonna get both in the long run. If it doesn't work out, there's always the Big Muff Deluxe or others in the local store.

Delay: Seems the DD-1/3/5/6/7 are all fine. Think I'm gonna have to check them out to see if I just need a basic one or an advanced one. Maybe a Zoom G3? There's one 2nd hand available for 75 euros (£55) right now. Good deal maybe? New: 159 euros.

Looper: Boss RC or Ditto, or the Zoom G3, if it suits me.

Other: Compression sustainer seems to be useful. Might get a chromatic tuner if the UG app tuner keeps annoying me. New wah, least neccessary of all things, but my current is a bit basic and boring so the dunlop 535q (or another if there are better ones) is def on the list.

Notable mentions:
Voodoo Lab Proctavia & / or Microvibe - good suggestions! - if there's a good 2nd hand deal, def. check them out.
Fulltone OCD - If it's available in the local store, why not try it out?

My biggest worry is: which guitar do I need and what are the important things to take into account? Things like elements (humbucker/single/other), mexican/usa/japan, year. But I think I can find these things on here myself. If anyone has a suggestion, always welcome!

Thanks again all!
I would probably buy a cheap multi-fx unit and invest in the guitar and amp (a guitar with a neck that you can easily fret up near the body end of the fret board will make a difference).

perhaps a Boss ME-25 or a Zoom G3-X. Another option is an iPad with an iRig HD and amplitube on it for trying other pedals you don't have access to. (I have the iPad + iRig HD - but too be honest the FX quality isn't great - I mainly use the iPad for viewing youtube vids of guitar techniques).

If your heart is set on analog, and you want to do blues, perhaps just get a BOSS BD-2 or a EHX Soul food.

The other thing to keep in mind with pedals is there are other costs, beyond the pedal itself, like the pedal board itself, power supplies, travel cases, etc. Then there is the cost of getting addicted to collecting pedals ...
Last edited by caprica7 at Sep 29, 2015,
Quote by Joost1795
Thanks for all replies!

If you can afford it, and if you don't have to play at whisper volume at home, personally I'd go tube- IMO they just sound and feel better, and also tend to react better to overdrive/distortion/fuzz/boost pedals better.

Some of the excelsiors rattled, so that'd be worth bearing in mind. IIRC if you played an open D chord that's what tended to make them rattle (they had to be up fairly loud to rattle) Also an excelsior might be a bit of a one-trick pony for what you want.

I'm kind of trying to think of something which has a Fenderish clean channel alongside a more marshally crunch channel, and I'm kind of struggling.

There's the jet city 50 watt 2x12 combo (I haven't tried it but word on the net is that it has the lucky 13 clean channel (fendery) with the crunch channel from the high gain heads), but both thomann and the UK online store are out of stock. And 2x12s are big, heavy, and expensive if you want to swap speakers (which you probably would, the stock jet city speakers are not bad for OEM ones, but you can do better with aftermarket ones).

Bugera has the V series but I haven't tried them, and there have been a lot of complaints about QC and reliability (though I think more with their high gain amps).

There are the Laney VC30 and LC30 which might be worth a look, but I think they're no longer made in the UK and are also dearer than they used to be, so I haven't tried them recently.

There are the Traynor YCV40 and 50 but they're hard to find in the UK and often expensive when you do find them (Thomann used to have the 50 at a pretty good price but stopped stocking them a good while ago).

There are the Peavey classic 30 and 50, but again prices in the UK tend not to be that great.

There's probably something really obvious that I'm forgetting.

Don't worry about being lazy, by the way, sometimes you just want someone who knows what he/she is talking about to give you a straight answer. As monwobobbo rightly says, a lot of it is down to you and we can't tell you what you'll definitely like, but we can definitely point you in the direction of things which we think might work.

EDIT: to your final post there:

The Japanese Tokais are very nice (beware, there are cheaper non-japanese-made ones). They should be just about under budget. They tend to be vintage-feeling and -sounding, though. Also check out the MIM Fender Classic Series- they're very close in feel and spec to those Tokais. If you prefer having the Fender name on them... there's next to nothing in it, and they probably have better resale value than Tokais. There are Japanese Fenders too (sometimes made by Tokai though i'm not sure if Tokai is currently making MIJ Fenders or not... the factories change every so often).

The other thing is, keep an eye out. You've probably just missed the boat, but Fender blew out a bunch of American models there recently (and they did last year, too). You can often pick up a new USA, USA deluxe or USA vintage series guitar for around your budget (though you have to be easy on the model and colour).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 29, 2015,
Quote by Joost1795
Thanks everyone!

To be clear: If I could, I'd be in the local shop everyday, but sadly I'm too busy with school and internship, so I can't really go at all, except maybe once in three weeks. But, ofcourse, before I'll buy anything I'm definitely gonna check it out. Why do I still ask so much? Because I love learning from others, sorting out all recommendations, going to the store with a huge list and check out everything that's there. Can't wait actually. You've all helped me a lot so far.

So to get this straigth:

Strat/Tele - Price range: between £400-750 - A used Fender probably? Gonna try lots, definitely. Am gonna try out other guitars too, but judging by my favourite performers I think it's got to be Strat or Tele. Probably a strat. Any other suggestions?

Amp - all tube, something Peavey/Vox/Fender - price range: up to £600 as long as it's amazing on low volume and has a great reverb. Probably gonna look into Fender Super Champ X2/Excelcior/Blues Jr III/Deluxe Reverb or Vox AC4C1/AC10C1 or Peavey Classic 30/Peavey Tube 60, and maybe others like Orange/Laney amps.

Effects

Distortion: Seen a lot of votes for the Digitech Bad Monkey. If it doesn't sound similar to a Tube Screamer, I'm gonna get both in the long run. If it doesn't work out, there's always the Big Muff Deluxe or others in the local store.

Delay: Seems the DD-1/3/5/6/7 are all fine. Think I'm gonna have to check them out to see if I just need a basic one or an advanced one. Maybe a Zoom G3? There's one 2nd hand available for 75 euros (£55) right now. Good deal maybe? New: 159 euros.

Looper: Boss RC or Ditto, or the Zoom G3, if it suits me.

Other: Compression sustainer seems to be useful. Might get a chromatic tuner if the UG app tuner keeps annoying me. New wah, least neccessary of all things, but my current is a bit basic and boring so the dunlop 535q (or another if there are better ones) is def on the list.

Notable mentions:
Voodoo Lab Proctavia & / or Microvibe - good suggestions! - if there's a good 2nd hand deal, def. check them out.
Fulltone OCD - If it's available in the local store, why not try it out?

My biggest worry is: which guitar do I need and what are the important things to take into account? Things like elements (humbucker/single/other), mexican/usa/japan, year. But I think I can find these things on here myself. If anyone has a suggestion, always welcome!

Thanks again all!

can't go wrong with a MIM strat they are dependable and can easily be used for what you want. since the players you mentioned are all pretty much single coil players then that's what i'd get. at some point you may want to do a pickup swap but for now the stock ones will work. don't get hung up on the country of origin as great guitars are made all over. find one that works for you that's what counts.

the Bad Monkey is a tubescreamer style overdrive but it has a better eq setup. no real reason to get an actual tubescreamer unless you have your heart set on it. there are tons of TS style pedals out there that do the job as well or often better. personally i use either a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 (this is a high end version of the BM) or a T-Rex Crunchy Frog ( iahve an eno music cheapie that i use for practice and since it's a mini pedal lives in the guitar case for jams etc). a Big Muff is a distortion pedal and a very different beast, tthye have a bit of a learning curve to get the most out of them.

keep in mind that if you want to play in a band or even jam with others that your amp has to be up to the task. a little 1-5 watt really won't be up to the task (15 watts or better for tube amps). the Peavey Classic 30 would be a great choice for what you're after. you may also want to look at a Peavey Valveking as they also will get you where you want to be (built in rverb is only ok though).

getting an actual tuner would be a really good idea.

i highly suggest that youn find the time to do some shopping. alll the research in the world can't beat actual hands on experience (an belive me i'm all about doing my homework). keep an open mind as you never know what might be the perfect thing for you. it's real easy to say well (fill in guitar hero here) uses such and such but just cuz it works for them doesn't mean it will for you. Gary Moore is a huge fav of mine and in his hands a Les Paul sings the blues like no other. in my hands a LP plays awkward and sounds average at best. this is why i got my BC Rich Eagle is gives me a tone fairly close to a LP and works for me playing wise much better.
yeah a bad monkey basically sounds like a tubescreamer with a bass control. it's a little more muffled-sounding, and its buffer isn't the best, but for £20 it's hard to go wrong.

having the right guitar is pretty important- if everything you play is usually played on a tele, then it'll be hard to get it to sound 100% right if you don't have a tele-style guitar, for example. of course, that's sort of hypothetical, in the real world it's highly unlikely that everything you play is played on the one style of guitar, so you need to figure out which compromises you're willing to make, or whether a more jack-of-all-trades type guitar (e.g. superstrat) might make more sense. of course, you might just prefer one style of guitar for everything, even if it's not technically meant to be played on it, which is why you really need to try as much as you can.

the neck profile is pretty important too- most manufacturers' websites will list rough specs for the necks so if you find a neck you like, try to find out as many measurements for it as possible and then you can start looking at other guitars with similar necks. just because you don't like one tele whose neck you don't like doesn't mean you might not be able to find another model with a neck you like better, basically.

as monwobobbo said, the amp is very important, too. I don't gig so I don't want to say anything much about that but the usual thing is normally said to be 15 watts minimum (tube) if you don't need cleans, and probably more like 30 watts if you do. and the amp is much like the guitar in that there are several classic amp types and amp-generated tones which can be difficult to get without having that amp, or at least an amp which has a similar circuit design (though with pedals you can often get a passable tone, since a lot of pedals these days are aimed at mimicking amps' distorted tones).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?