Hi there

I see recommendations regarding replacing the pickups of cheap guitar as it won't make such difference. I have Ibanez RG320FM which is a standard series and I was thinking of replacing the infinity pickups with Dimarzio petrucci set. My guitar plays very smooth and I really like its feeling. However, I am not sure whether it is considered a cheap guitar or not. It has basswood body with flamed maple top, maple neck and rosewood fretboard. The guitar is made in Korea. Would replacing the pickup make any improvement in sound ? I am playing it through gt8 and laney ironheart studio amp
Does it matter?Do you like the sound of the Petrucci pups?Have you heard a sound bite of them?
If you wanna change your pickups then go for it imo.
the pickups will help you out quite a bit.

cheap is subjective, and more importantly there are different problems of different 'cheap' guitars. if it can stay in tune and play well, i would put pickups in it.

i have the crunch lab/liquifire (petrucci set) in a ibanez prestige, i fucking love them.

go for it!

____

on a side note i ALWAYS advise keeping stock parts. you generally don't get your money back from pickup upgrades if you sell it. if you do the swap, and keep the originals, if you go to sell it, put the originals back in. then you have two upgraded pickups, which you can either sell and recoup a little more, or throw in something else. i probably have 20 pickups sitting in my parts bins from swaps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You have a very decent amp, so if you like how the guitar plays, definitely go for it. Even if you get a new and more expensive one, you can have it for a different tone, alternate tunings or as a backup if you play live.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
The pickups will breathe new life into your guitar. I have 8 guitars. The only ones that I haven't changed the pickups in were the 2 acoustics and the bass. It improved each one. Cheap guitars have cheap pickups. The pickups have more effect on your sound than anything else.
I have a cheap knock off strat that's on it's 4th set of pickups (for tonal reasons, not failures). I love the damn thing and I will keep it until I die. Never let the price of a good playing guitar keep you from making it better.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by jmezzo
The pickups will breathe new life into your guitar. I have 8 guitars. The only ones that I haven't changed the pickups in were the 2 acoustics and the bass. It improved each one. Cheap guitars have cheap pickups. The pickups have more effect on your sound than anything else.

I have a slightly different outlook on these things. I'm right at 51 guitars at the moment, and I've rarely changed pickups. Cheap guitars have...well...pickups. Done in volume, pickup materials run about $1.50, maybe less. More, of course, if you're winding your pickups at home and buying materials in units of 5 or 10.

Simply throwing more money at a set of pickups guarantees nothing (other than your wallet thinning). Pedals and amps make a larger difference in your sound. IMHO, of course.
i have no problem with putting expensive pickups in cheap (however you want to define it) guitars, provided you know 1) what is wrong with the current ones and 2) how the proposed new set will fix it. My views are a bit extreme on this, as I place almost no value on the lump of wood and have no strong interest hypothetical tone wood effects.

Modding costs are usually lost on resale, so I would keep the old pickups.
Quote by Tony Done
i have no problem with putting expensive pickups in cheap (however you want to define it) guitars, provided you know 1) what is wrong with the current ones and 2) how the proposed new set will fix it. My views are a bit extreme on this, as I place almost no value on the lump of wood and have no strong interest hypothetical tone wood effects.

Modding costs are usually lost on resale, so I would keep the old pickups.

+1 to all this

As long as the guitar plays well, of course.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the pickups will help you out quite a bit.

cheap is subjective, and more importantly there are different problems of different 'cheap' guitars. if it can stay in tune and play well, i would put pickups in it.

+1

stock ibanez pickups are notorious for being mediocre at best, most of the time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

stock ibanez pickups are notorious for being mediocre at best, most of the time.

Ibanez is certainly a big offender when it comes to pior sounding pickups.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well to give the full picture... I would whether replace the pickups or replace the guitar with LTD EC1000S (most probably the seymour duncan rather than emg) ... Which direction to go?
Quote by derek8520
What don't you like about the guitar's sound at the moment?

It doesnt sound clear especially when recording (i record at home)
Quote by mockbel at #33616171
Well to give the full picture... I would whether replace the pickups or replace the guitar with LTD EC1000S (most probably the seymour duncan rather than emg) ... Which direction to go?

Why that guitar in particular? It's incomparable to your Ibanez in almost every way.

Its a better quality guitar no doubt, but what gives?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by mockbel
It doesnt sound clear especially when recording (i record at home)

First thing to do is to determine if the guitar or pickups are actually at fault with that.
Have you tried a different (more expensive, whatever) guitar running into your home recording setup?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why that guitar in particular? It's incomparable to your Ibanez in almost every way.

I was thinking the same thing.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

My requirements leading to the EC1000S :
1. Les Paul shape (I love this shape)
2. 24 frets (I can't compromise frets 23 and 24)
3. Fixed bridge (I very rarely use tremolo on my Ibanez)
4. Better quality components than my Ibanez (body wood, pickups)

One other important point, we have ESP authorized dealer in Egypt so I was able to go and try the guitar.
90% of the materials in a guitar literally do nothing to help its sound. basswood, etc. thats all magic.

most of it is build quality, perfect intonation, playability, tuning stability, pickups, wiring, SCALE LENGTH, overall design (strat, les, PRS etc), that have major impacts. out of those things, pickups are one of the most drastic. they are the engine if your guitar.

so yes, assuming your guitar plays well and holds tune, no issues, good pitch, wiring etc, throw some new pups in there.

the KEY is that good pickups dont matter if you have a CRAP AMP. you dont. you dont have the best amp, not some 3000 dollar thing that literally translates every breathe, heartbeat, your cats heartbeat, and the fly in your neighbors apartment into perfect sonic amazement, detects the slightest nuances and playing styles and everything translates perfectly....

but a decent tube amp will do fine. DONT buy pickups if you have some line 6 spider or something crappy like that. you probably wont hear your money's worth of difference.

if you have bad wiring, bad (tone sucking) pedal setup, and a bad amp, nothing will come through in your upgrades.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by dspellman
I have a slightly different outlook on these things. I'm right at 51 guitars at the moment, and I've rarely changed pickups. Cheap guitars have...well...pickups. Done in volume, pickup materials run about $1.50, maybe less. More, of course, if you're winding your pickups at home and buying materials in units of 5 or 10.

Simply throwing more money at a set of pickups guarantees nothing (other than your wallet thinning). Pedals and amps make a larger difference in your sound. IMHO, of course.

This is true. However I find that at some price point the guitars are very much held back by the pickups (this usually starts happening right around $400). Epiphone Les Pauls are known to have god-awful pickups (or were, anyway) and improving those is/was the easiest way to make those guitars sound better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.