Hello ,

I own a LP and Strat together with a Marshall TSL 601. I play both instruments regularly and switch between using the amp (when it's convenient) and my PC (when the amp is inconvenient). With the PC I use an audio interface, a pair of good quality speakers and Guitar Rig. I play mostly heavy blues kinda stuff, but also sometime enjoy playing rock and funk. I like to use a wahwah aswell.

Right now I find the sound from my PC more appealing than the amp and it has come to a point that I rarely play the marshall anymore because of that. Unless I want to play some good rock I prefer the amp. The amp delivers a great rock tone and a good blues crunch or clean, but it just lacks character(mainly the blues crunch and clean tones). Some tones, mainly for blues just sound way better on Guitar rig(for those familiar with Guitar Rig, especially the presets in the blues section: Blues Git and Blues 74). I believe a deluxe reverb with ts808 will deliver a better sound for me than my Marshall.

Im doubting if I should keep the marshall and save up for a deluxe reverb, or sell the marshall and buy a deluxe reverb. I'm afraid I'll lose the great ACDC tone I'm able to create with the marshall.

What do you guys think? Does a Fender Deluxe reverb with TS808 deliver in clean, crunch and lead?
I haven't tried a DR but the Fenders I have tried didn't sound like AC/DC. Maybe a marshall in a box pedal would do it, though, if you only need that tone occasionally.

I wouldn't sell anything before you've tried it, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried a DR but the Fenders I have tried didn't sound like AC/DC. Maybe a marshall in a box pedal would do it, though, if you only need that tone occasionally.

I wouldn't sell anything before you've tried it, though.

ACDC or just any other real 70's rock sound would be great. And then primarily only talking about with the LP ofcourse. I use the Strat mainly for SRV, Blues kinda stuff and a little hendrix.

Trying is hard because this setup requires some effort to setup and can only be done in music stores, where in every store you get an assistent to help you personally. There aren't very big stores where I live and they take any customer they can get. This results in some awkward situations if I ever want to return to those stores afterwards which happens a lot. I am not going to buy the equipment new.

I will try to play myself but I am interested in what other people have to say about it.
Last edited by sjoerdschelvis at Sep 29, 2015,
Fender with tubescreamer does not = Marshall tone. different amps and not interchangable if you ask me. you might get some of that crunch if the Fender is turned way up but in many situations you may not be able to crank it like that.
^ yeah ts + fender doesn't really sound anything like a marshall. fender + MIAB distortion pedal can get passable marshallish tones, though, if you don't need them too often or aren't too concerned about totally nailing them.

^^ Yeah I know what you mean, it's very difficult to get to try a lot of these things properly without it getting embarrassing.

Some 70s rock might well be Fenders, so it just depends on what exactly you're playing. AC/DC isn't, though, as far as I'm aware.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah ts + fender doesn't really sound anything like a marshall. fender + MIAB distortion pedal can get passable marshallish tones, though, if you don't need them too often or aren't too concerned about totally nailing them.

^^ Yeah I know what you mean, it's very difficult to get to try a lot of these things properly without it getting embarrassing.

Some 70s rock might well be Fenders, so it just depends on what exactly you're playing. AC/DC isn't, though, as far as I'm aware.

plenty of 70s rock is indeed fenders. thing is that often the amps were cranked to 10 in the studio to get the sound. in real life that isn't usually feasable. small amps like the champ were used as well. great in the studio but live not so much. with a little research you can find any number of amps that will get you decent AC/DC tones and still have decent cleans as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
plenty of 70s rock is indeed fenders. thing is that often the amps were cranked to 10 in the studio to get the sound. in real life that isn't usually feasable. small amps like the champ were used as well. great in the studio but live not so much. with a little research you can find any number of amps that will get you decent AC/DC tones and still have decent cleans as well.

Hmm thanks, you got me thinking. The thing is, as I understand now, you can't get a decent amp overdrive without destroying your ears, on a fender. There is no way to overdrive on lower volumes. This would mean that for normal volumes overdrive you would need a pedal but, is a overdrive pedal, who produces artificial overdrive, qualitative good in comparison to real amp overrdrive?

Indeed there are enough rock performances with fender amps. Right now I'm leaning towards selling marshall instead of keeping
You might consider an amp that can get you both the Marshall and Fender flavors. I believe Egnater does some amps that are aimed at achieving this sort of thing. Another that comes to mind off the top of my head that you may like would be a Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker, though they aren't always easy to find and can be pricey. There are other options as well, I'm just thinking out loud.

Using a pedal to get your Marshall tones isn't going to sound the same as how your Marshall amp sounds on its own, but that doesn't mean it will sound bad. I wouldn't consider the TSL to be a source of classic Marshall sounds anyways, so you could potentially PREFER a pedal to the amp, though I don't know how likely that is.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Although it's heresy to some, you might also look at a decent modeler, which will get you 95%(+) of the way there for nearly any amp tone you want?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Although it's heresy to some, you might also look at a decent modeler, which will get you 95%(+) of the way there for nearly any amp tone you want?

Yeah, if you like the sounds you get with Guitar Rig this isn't a bad idea at all, I think that something like a POD HD would be an improvement and you could get a small powered speaker to use it for out loud practice if you wanted.
Or...Randall RM!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
Or...Randall RM!!!

Another excellent suggestion!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by dementiacaptain
You might consider an amp that can get you both the Marshall and Fender flavors. I believe Egnater does some amps that are aimed at achieving this sort of thing. Another that comes to mind off the top of my head that you may like would be a Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker, though they aren't always easy to find and can be pricey. There are other options as well, I'm just thinking out loud.

Using a pedal to get your Marshall tones isn't going to sound the same as how your Marshall amp sounds on its own, but that doesn't mean it will sound bad. I wouldn't consider the TSL to be a source of classic Marshall sounds anyways, so you could potentially PREFER a pedal to the amp, though I don't know how likely that is.

Hmm I looked at Egnater Tweaker. Never heard of them before. Caught my attention though. Quite versatile amp indeed. They are one step down in price range compared to the fenders. Is this because of the brand name? Because the type of quality amps like fender reverb usually cost around 1400 new, 1000 second hand. Their price makes me suspicious. I am looking for top quality tube amps around €1000-1300 How's the quality on these things? Could you get a decent Stevie Ray Vaughan sound out of them? Are they top notch? What would be a good model to consider for home and band use?
Quote by Arby911

Quote by bobafettacheese
Or...Randall RM!!!

this much amount of tweaking is too much for me, seems way to many tweaking possibilities, I want to keep that a little limited. I don't do any tweaking in Guitar Rig and just use presets, mostly switch between only 3-4 sounds
What do you guys think about a Blackstar Artisan 15? Seems like a pretty decent amp. I don't really know what kind of tone blackstars are made for. On youtube vids I can hear a nice blues tone sorta like fender, SRV possibilities when played with a strat. Great rock sounds. They're quite expensive but there's someone in my neighbourhood selling his for €850.

Seriously considering checking this out as a possibility. I can only find positive feedback on it
Last edited by sjoerdschelvis at Sep 30, 2015,
Quote by sjoerdschelvis
Hmm I looked at Egnater Tweaker. Never heard of them before. Caught my attention though. Quite versatile amp indeed. They are one step down in price range compared to the fenders. Is this because of the brand name? Because the type of quality amps like fender reverb usually cost around 1400 new, 1000 second hand. Their price makes me suspicious. I am looking for top quality tube amps around €1000-1300 How's the quality on these things? Could you get a decent Stevie Ray Vaughan sound out of them? Are they top notch? What would be a good model to consider for home and band use?

I believe most of the cheaper price is due to the fact that production Egnater amps are made in China. Don't let that turn you off though, they sound excellent and the quality seems to be pretty great. I'd imagine some of the price of the Fender is the name, though.

As far as which model, the larger Tweakers (the 40 and 80 watt models) would be nice, the Tourmaster is also a pretty sweet.

On Randall RM:
They may seem complicated but in reality it's as simple as any three channel amp can be, it's just a matter of finding modules you like. I understand if that's not your thing, just don't think that it's very complicated, it's not at all.

On the Artisan:
From what I understand they are very nice amps, but perhaps a bit too expensive for what they offer. I haven't played/owned one so that's all I can offer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I believe most of the cheaper price is due to the fact that production Egnater amps are made in China. Don't let that turn you off though, they sound excellent and the quality seems to be pretty great. I'd imagine some of the price of the Fender is the name, though.

As far as which model, the larger Tweakers (the 40 and 80 watt models) would be nice, the Tourmaster is also a pretty sweet.

On Randall RM:
They may seem complicated but in reality it's as simple as any three channel amp can be, it's just a matter of finding modules you like. I understand if that's not your thing, just don't think that it's very complicated, it's not at all.

On the Artisan:
From what I understand they are very nice amps, but perhaps a bit too expensive for what they offer. I haven't played/owned one so that's all I can offer.

Thanks for the info on the egnaters. I'll see if I can try one somewhere.

About the Artisan. It used to be around 2500 new, quite expensive and probably a lot for what they offer. But they got a huge price drop somewhere in the recent past. That's probably why this guy sells his (850) for a decent second hand price based on latest new price. So is your statement on price vs offer based on initial price or current?

This might be a lucky find since not many people know a lot about it. The guy only asks 850 which might even be negotiable. Other second hand prices on ebay go up to at least 1100

Any other people with some feedback on the Blackstar Artisan 15?
Last edited by sjoerdschelvis at Sep 30, 2015,
If you can get it for that price that's decent. I'd definitely check it out and make sure you really like it, because there are still a ton of amps out there in that price range and just above, within what you are willing to pay there are tons of good amps from pretty much every major manufacturer and probably at least a few boutique ones. Marshall overdrive with Fender cleans is a pretty common one for companies to cover, so definitely take a trip to Google and investigate.
Quote by dementiacaptain
If you can get it for that price that's decent. I'd definitely check it out and make sure you really like it, because there are still a ton of amps out there in that price range and just above, within what you are willing to pay there are tons of good amps from pretty much every major manufacturer and probably at least a few boutique ones. Marshall overdrive with Fender cleans is a pretty common one for companies to cover, so definitely take a trip to Google and investigate.

Hmm I looked some more on the artisan 15 and 30. Their tone does sound a lot like a marshall tone. I believe it's a boutique but I don't really get what that's supposed to mean. I believe it's a word to say when a amp is of high quality? I've made an appointment with someone who lives 10 mins away to try out a blackface artisan 30.

mygod, choosing is hard man. there is soooo much to choose from. I feel like just getting the fender so I know it's good, will have a great tone different from the marshall and be done with it.
Last edited by sjoerdschelvis at Oct 1, 2015,
Boutique is kind of hard sometimes to describe, but you can basically take it to mean non-major manufacturer, often low production numbers, often hand built, and catering to a specific type of buyer. There is often a implication of quality, but not necessarily.

There's not anything wrong with grabbing the Fender, I'm sure it sounds good and probably is built pretty well. There are a ton of options though, maybe start a "what amp" thread. Look in the Rules and Resource Center thread that is stickied at the top of Guitar Gear and Accessories and find the format (it just lists some basic info that is helpful for us to best guide you, some of it you've answered here but having it in a what amp thread may get more attention from people who will know more than me about the types of amps out there that would suit you).
Quote by monwobobbo

yeah

I'm guessing some stuff like the eagles etc. is possibly fenders.

Quote by sjoerdschelvis
Hmm thanks, you got me thinking. The thing is, as I understand now, you can't get a decent amp overdrive without destroying your ears, on a fender. There is no way to overdrive on lower volumes. This would mean that for normal volumes overdrive you would need a pedal but, is a overdrive pedal, who produces artificial overdrive, qualitative good in comparison to real amp overrdrive?

Indeed there are enough rock performances with fender amps. Right now I'm leaning towards selling marshall instead of keeping

well the more modern-style fender amps have master volumes. the problem is things like the HRD have pretty crappy OD channels (supposedly they were improved on the newer version, but I haven't tried it... i'm not holding my breath, though).

the supersonic might be worth a try.

Quote by sjoerdschelvis
What do you guys think about a Blackstar Artisan 15? Seems like a pretty decent amp. I don't really know what kind of tone blackstars are made for. On youtube vids I can hear a nice blues tone sorta like fender, SRV possibilities when played with a strat. Great rock sounds. They're quite expensive but there's someone in my neighbourhood selling his for €850.

Seriously considering checking this out as a possibility. I can only find positive feedback on it

it doesn't have a master volume. so if you can't crank it up it's probably not the best choice.

+1 on the fenderish clean channel/marshally od channel suggestion by DC (or maybe I suggested that originally )

+1 on maybe even a (good) modeller if you need to play really quietly

also +1 on the Randall RM
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dementiacaptain
Boutique is kind of hard sometimes to describe, but you can basically take it to mean non-major manufacturer, often low production numbers, often hand built, and catering to a specific type of buyer. There is often a implication of quality, but not necessarily.

There's not anything wrong with grabbing the Fender, I'm sure it sounds good and probably is built pretty well. There are a ton of options though, maybe start a "what amp" thread. Look in the Rules and Resource Center thread that is stickied at the top of Guitar Gear and Accessories and find the format (it just lists some basic info that is helpful for us to best guide you, some of it you've answered here but having it in a what amp thread may get more attention from people who will know more than me about the types of amps out there that would suit you).

Hey, I wanted to let you know I tried a couple amps in the store and from people selling. Went to a guy and played a Blackstar Artisan 30, absolutely loved it and it sounded not in the slightest way any less than a fender amp. It's so versatile in different clean sounds. Great overdrive sounds when you crank it and all in all just a beautiful looking amp. I felt this was the best amp for me to choose. The thing was brand new, used only once, it had the plastic protection still on it. The guy didn't know anything about amps in general or this amp which was great for me. I made the guy an offer and got it for 750. I believe that is an awesome price. Thanks for all the help and info!
Last edited by sjoerdschelvis at Oct 4, 2015,
^ Nice

it has a master volume too so is probably more useful than the 15
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Glad you got something that works for you! Post a New Amp Day if you would, I'd love to read an in-depth review (and if you have a way to do it, clips )