I'll post some questions below. Feel free to answer one or all of them.

As a bonus, if you wouldn't mind, let me know if you would allow me to use your username in my paper if I like your response. Otherwise I'll mark it as "one user added" or some other anonymous title.

Thanks!

EDIT: If you don't feel like posting here or formatting here's the survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6THPX9J

Do you use or have you ever used any social networks? If so, how often and from where do (did) you access them (computer vs smartphone)?

Beyond just reading on social networks, how often do (did) you post your own thoughts? If you do, do you expect a response, or do you just want a way to get your thoughts out? Provide an example if you can.

What led you to using social network(s)?

When offline, how would you describe yourself in a social environment?

How often do you have conversations in person as opposed to over text or online?

How often do you listen to music as a way to avoid talking to people? Is this a common occurrence or is it only in certain environments?

What is it like for you to be alone?

How highly do you value the ability to control where you put your attention? When we are alone, we can spread our attention to any number of things. But someone is having (or trying to have) a conversation with us, our attention is then shifted to them.

Is talking to someone in person more difficult for you than chatting online? Why or why not?
Last edited by Shotgunmerc at Oct 12, 2015,
Just use Google like everyone else.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Do you use or have you ever used any social networks? If so, how often and from where do (did) you access them (computer vs smartphone)? Grindr, all day, errday.

Beyond just reading on social networks, how often do (did) you post your own thoughts? If you do, do you expect a response, or do you just want a way to get your thoughts out? Provide an example if you can.
I have no original thoughts, I am a gay robot.

What led you to using social network(s)?My core programming drives me in all things.

When offline, how would you describe yourself in a social environment? Recharging with my dick in a USB socket. It might be old, but I do love my USB 1.0.

How often do you have conversations in person as opposed to over text or online?Never. We meet, we fuck, I turn you into soylent green. That is how Slapsbot rolls.

How often do you listen to music as a way to avoid talking to people? Is this a common occurrence or is it only in certain environments?What is this music of which you speak? I listen only to eternal screams.

What is it like for you to be alone?Erotic.

How highly do you value the ability to control where you put your attention? When we are alone, we can spread our attention to any number of things. But someone is having (or trying to have) a conversation with us, our attention is then shifted to them.My core programming sets it's control as a high priority. Victims must not escape my prehensile robo-penis.

Is talking to someone in person more difficult for you than chatting online? Why or why not?Using my text-to-speech program to accurately synthesise the juicy, fleshy inefficient human conversational method uses little runtime, as the algorithms are most effective. It is easy.
Do you use or have you ever used any social networks? If so, how often and from where do (did) you access them (computer vs smartphone)?

I did at one stage have a myspace account, but I deleted that ages ago. Other than that, just facebook and instagram. Instagram I don't use very regularly. Usually when I want add filters to a picture. Facebook I use on the daily from my phone and pc.

I only post my thoughts when I feel that the thought is significant, and as such, expect a response. Sometimes, all I need is validation, just like anyone else.

To be perfectly honest, I made these accounts because all my friends had them as well. +1 to being a sheep.

I can fit in pretty much anywhere socially, but at times I prefer to be alone.

How often do you have conversations in person as opposed to over text or online?

I am in a working environment, so most of my communication takes place in person.

How often do you listen to music as a way to avoid talking to people? Is this a common occurrence or is it only in certain environments?

I listen to music to soothe my soul; not to be evasive.

Just fine.

How highly do you value the ability to control where you put your attention? When we are alone, we can spread our attention to any number of things. But someone is having (or trying to have) a conversation with us, our attention is then shifted to them.

I value it quite highly, because without it, you're kind of a broken person.

Is talking to someone in person more difficult for you than chatting online? Why or why not?

Nope. I don't really have trouble conveying what I feel, so turning my thoughts into conversation on the spot isn't really an issue I have encountered in a while.
Ugh, I don't wanna deal with formatting. Surveymonkey that shit, yo.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
No.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I will answer it through a survey, but formatting this shit is a no-no
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
jesus, formatting this is not a monumental task, you probably don't even need to include the questions in yr. responses -- could you guys be any more lazy & entitled?

---

-yes.
-daily -- whenever i'm "waiting around" for something i'll usually scroll through my twitter feed.
-probably more so on my smartphone now.

-rarely if ever. i try to keep a low profile, for personal & professional reasons.

-back in high school "everyone was doing it" -- these days it's a good way to keep up with friends who i don't (& as a college grad, there aren't many i do) see everyday, and i also find it useful for keeping up with news & current events -- following NYT, NPR, &c. on twitter.

-i get along fine. i am pretty quiet & reserved, esp. with people i don't know -- definitely not the life of the party, ya know, but i don't have nervous breakdowns or anything.

-whenever possible -- i really hate conversing via text/online. but, as i said, i don't have the luxury of seeing all my friends in person on a regular basis.

-never -- it is easy enough to avoid talking to people if i want to avoid talking to people. i only listen to music as a means of experiencing music.

-great, relaxing, productive.

-highly.

-no, i prefer it -- talking to people online is difficult 'cuz there is always an anxiety about how y'r coming across -- how does this text read? -- you can't pick up on things like intonation, body language, facial cues, &c. &c. -- not to say i'm always super comfortable in social situations, but at least i have a sense of how things are going.

---

-i'd appreciate it if you don't use my username
Surveymonkey is a website made for threads like this, scoot. Get with the program.

I use Facebook mainly and quite regularly. I probably spend half an hour a day, as a rough guess.

I rarely do because my parents insist that they are friends with me on Facebook for the purpose of it being a convenient way to contact me. So I don't post that often. Replying to other people is more common though.

Because everyone is doing it. It's a convenient way to contact people.

I'm fine, I guess?

I'm typically quite reserved, but it depends on who I'm meeting. The better I know the people I'm with, the less reserved I can afford to be. I don't suffer from any kind of social anxiety, but I prefer being alone or with a small group of friends than a large group.

I do both on a daily basis.

I don't suffer from social anxiety, so I have no reason to do this.

Awesome. Any time away from my family is a time to relax.

You can't have a coherent conversation with anyone without it, so that speaks for itself.

The two things are not analogous with one another. The way people come off online is vastly different from how they might come off in real life because there are far, far fewer social cues that can mean the difference between sounding sincere or sounding like a complete jerk. Both situations offer different challenges. IRL has the challenge of maintaining a conversation at a good pace, while the internet has the challenge of conveying your intentions correctly.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
For those complaining that formatting is hard or that I should have just used Survey Monkey, I literally typed this up in class on my iPad and couldn't figure out the website on there, leave me alone

Anyway, here's the survey link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6THPX9J

Feel free to continue to post in here, discussion about any of these would be great
Last edited by Shotgunmerc at Sep 30, 2015,

Facebook very very occasionally to make plans and talk to people who have broken phones ect. Tumblr if that counts, I'm on that a lot

I haven't made a facebook post in over a year and a half, and that post wasn't actually me it was a friend on my computer... I sometimes rant on tumblr and do the "read more" thing so it doesn't clutter up people's feeds with my bullshit. I don't really want responses as a lot of the time its just shit stuff in my life and is pretty vague at best

Everyone else using them, I hate them personally and would drop facebook in a second if it meant I wouldn't lose contact with a lot of my friends

Elaborate on social environment please. I change depending on who I'm around and my mood that day. I have to alter my sense of humour in public and around certain people because it gets quite dark and dry. Generally I'm pretty laid back and quiet though

It depends. I text my gf a lot when I'm not with her, which is a lot as its a LDR when we're both at uni. I talk to you idiots here a lot too if that counts, but I talk to people a lot in person too

Whenever I'm doing anything in public on my own I do this. Don't get me wrong, I love listening to music too, especially when I'm out doing stuff, but the avoiding people is a big plus too

I don't really understand the question here....

I value the ability to do so, but in reality I'm really shit at it. My friends all used to joke that I had un-diagnosed ADHD because my attention span is so shit. (and it may be true, my little brother and nan have it, it runs in the family). I also don't fully understand the question (a running theme for me), the statement after the initial query is throwing me

They're both easy and hard, in their own ways.

Online its easier to talk to someone you don't know because its anon and there's no initial awkwardness, you can just jump straight into a discussion. You also have a lot of time to write out replies and posts, which you can't do in person. There's also a lot less pressure on you, and you can be more open without feeling embarrassed, because again nobody really knows who you are (if that makes sense). Its also a lot harder because you can't judge the tone someone is speaking in over text (sarcasm is a very common example of this), so unless you know them pretty well, its much easier for people to misinterpret things, which is why there's so much arguing online. Its also hindered by the lack of face to face, you don't have any body language to help you, which can be pretty vital in some scenarios.

Offline is easier because people's moods and tones are easier to interpret. You can pick up on their body language. Its also easier because it feels more natural and rewarding when you're talking to people you know and like. Conversations tend to flow better. Starting a conversation and talking to new people is a lot harder however, nerves, awkwardness ect. Making well thought out sentences/spoken paragraphs is obviously harder though because you have to make it up as you go, which some people find very hard, and you can't edit stuff you've said which sucks...

Overall they're about the same, all their pros and cons cancel out imo. I'm just as comfortable chatting on here as I am with someone sat next to me

Also, feel free to add my username, bonus points for usertitle too
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Sep 29, 2015,
Quote by Bladez22 at #33616338

I don't really understand the question here....

What is it like for you to be alone? Are you comfortable? Is it difficult? Are you able to be at home in your room alone with your thoughts (or perhaps a single player video game or some music or some such), or do you have to be online with someone or doing something where you communicate?

Basically, can you be alone with your thoughts and no communication from anyone, or is that difficult?
Quote by Shotgunmerc at #33616347
What is it like for you to be alone? Are you comfortable? Is it difficult? Are you able to be at home in your room alone with your thoughts (or perhaps a single player video game or some music or some such), or do you have to be online with someone or doing something where you communicate?

Basically, can you be alone with your thoughts and no communication from anyone, or is that difficult?

I find it very tough to be truly alone, one of the downsides to growing up in a small town with loads of friends about, and having msn and the likes. I also used to play a load of xbox with my mates, so we were always talking basically every night. I don't have xbox live anymore and neither do my friends, and we've all moved away, so things are quieter now. I do get very lonely at times, which is probably why I spend so much time here

I struggle to truly focus on something when I'm alone, I get really restless and will bounce from thing to thing for a while until I settle down. I'll watch an episode of something, but halfway through I'll pause to flick to another website and stuff like that. It makes studying on my own a real pain, but as soon as someone fairly close to me is there I find it so much easier to concentrate, even if we're doing separate things

If I'm alone in the sense you're saying for more than about 3-4 days I start getting very down, but I think that's fairly normal. These days I'm more comfortable in my own company, and I often isolate myself from people, but that's because of other issues.

Open ended questions annoy me for that reason lol, I wasn't really sure what you were looking for, hope it helps though. The only other thing I should add is following on from the dividing attention question: I generally find it very easy to hold a conversation and do other stuff too, its the only thing I can multi-task
v
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Sep 29, 2015,
The professor was encouraging as many open ended questions as possible, so I made sure to word this one in such a way that it could be interpreted a number of ways. But I guess that made it kind of ambiguous. Oh well

That was helpful though, thanks for the responses so far guys
Do you use or have you ever used any social networks? If so, how often and from where do (did) you access them (computer vs smartphone)? I use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat is that counts. The only one I access on my laptop is Facebook, and I access them all on my phone. I also talk to friends over Xbox Live a few nights a week if that counts.

Beyond just reading on social networks, how often do (did) you post your own thoughts? If you do, do you expect a response, or do you just want a way to get your thoughts out? Provide an example if you can. I pretty much only post my own stuff to Instagram. I've never Tweeted. And I rarely make my own posts on Facebook. I'll just comment on other people's posts. If I do post something I usually want a response since I usually do it to joke around with friends.

What led you to using social network(s)? Keeping up with friends (Facebook, Instagram). I mainly use Twitter for following sports, like athletes, writers, and news outlets.

When offline, how would you describe yourself in a social environment? Fine. I'm not the life of a party, but I get along with everyone and can have fun. It depends who I'm with. Some people at school would probably say I'm quiet and reserved, while my better friends would say I never shut up in some circumstances.

How often do you have conversations in person as opposed to over text or online? Probably about equal.

How often do you listen to music as a way to avoid talking to people? Is this a common occurrence or is it only in certain environments? I used to a lot when I took the train everyday. But now I don't remember the last time I even wore headphones

What is it like for you to be alone? I like being alone to a certain point. Listening to some music or playing a game. It's nice being able to gather your thoughts and just relax, but after a while I get sick of it, and being in my own head too much makes me depressed.

How highly do you value the ability to control where you put your attention? When we are alone, we can spread our attention to any number of things. But someone is having (or trying to have) a conversation with us, our attention is then shifted to them. Depends on my mode. If I have to get some work done, I like being able to control my environment. Less interruptions.

Is talking to someone in person more difficult for you than chatting online? Why or why not? No, I like chatting in person more. You get more of a feel for the conversation based off of their tone, body language, and all that stuff. Plus you know how you're being received. You don't know if they are taking something the wrong way online.

Though IRL does have drawbacks. You have to keep a conversation going without very many breaks for the most part. That just isn't a problem texting or messaging through FB. Someone taking their time to respond isn't seen as a problem, whereas if you did that in person it would come across as really strange.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Sep 29, 2015,
Quote by Shotgunmerc
I'll post some questions below. Feel free to answer one or all of them.

As a bonus, if you wouldn't mind, let me know if you would allow me to use your username in my paper if I like your response. Otherwise I'll mark it as "one user added" or some other anonymous title.
I have anonymity?
(feel free to)

Just Facebook. Use it everyday, but I don't do much besides read stuff. I always have it as a tab opened on both my PC and smartphone, so I can't say I use it on one more than the other.

Not often. I'd say maybe once or twice a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I always sort of hope it gets some response, but I'm ok if it doesn't (which is almost always the case lol).

Pretty much just friends who kept asking, but if we're talking further than that: As a teen, I'd play Xbox Live a lot and was introduced to Halo. From there, I heard about Red vs. Blue and really enjoyed it. So much so, that I joined the site full of active members. There I met some friends, then we got closer and that's probably where the Facebook account took off.

Very quite and reserved.

Aside from the typical hello's, goodmorning's and thank you's, I pretty much have zero conversations. Partly because my job is a one man sort of job, but also because I don't really go out anywhere. I'm more of a shut-in, so naturally, my online conversations are a lot more common. Pretty much have one everyday.

I listen to music in the break room everyday. I wouldn't necessarily say it's to avoid people though. I think it just sort of helps to put me in this place of comfort within myself. I don't really know how to describe it.

Some days it really hits me, but it's not very often. If it were up to me, yeah, sure I'd like to go out and party or just hang out, but being alone... it's something I'm fine with too. I'm sure I shouldn't, but I guess having activity to look forward to online helps. There was a time when I didn't know either and I still had the same outlook even then. Not entirely sure why, but my guess would be because I always believed there's something better out there for me. As long as I believed that, it was good enough for me.

It's probably the thing about myself that I value the most. When I say I plan on dedicating myself to something, through all the ups and downs, I do it. As an example, I had to do this when I went to school to become a medical billing and coder. I'd always come home and have something that needed to be done. For most, procrastinating seems pretty easy, but for me, it never happened. My mindset was to just get it over with as soon and accurately as I can so I can be done NOW.
I don't really have conversation experience though. As I've said before, it's rare for me to have a conversation with others.

Yes because in real life, people have barriers that they have to break down before they become friends. An example would be the difference between saying "Hello, how are you?" and banter/name calling. With the internet, those barriers are naturally broken down, if not non-existent. Friend or not. Naturally, that's what makes it easier to talk and respond to, and it's there whenever you want it to be. Part of it is also on my half since I'm a little too well gated and don't know how to change that (it just doesn't feel natural to try). And so naturally, I'm more drawn in to chatting online as opposed to in person.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Shotgunmerc at #33615861

Nah, don't do that.

I've made more than my fair share of accounts, but I have only used three of those at least somewhat frequently. By the time smart phones became ubiquitous and I had gotten one, I was only using one, and even then, I don't really check it that much unless I'm bored on my computer.

I don't post that much anymore. I guess it's just a way to get my thoughts out.

e.g. my most recent Twitter posts:
"Genuine Muscle Milk: contains no milk"
"Why do women rip their hoodies?"

It was pre-middle school times, so I wanted to do what everyone else was doing.

Mostly nonparticipating. Some exceptions (1) if a topic interests me (2) if I'm talking to someone with whom I enjoy talking, (3) people make it known that they'd like me to be involved in the event, etc.

EDIT: I should add more. If a situation calls for me to be more sociable, I can get along with almost everyone. I usually just try to go with the flow, ya know? If I need to be sociable, I'm more than capable of doing so, even if it's not really my thing.

Like, social conversations? Because my job requires me to talk to people pretty often, I don't know if that would count.

Anyway, I seldom talk to people save for a handful, and I mostly talk in person in such cases.

I listen to music whenever I can, but it's never really done with the intent to get people to avoid talking to me. But I can't say that I wouldn't call that an advantage, even though I'm not really against having people talk to me.

Comfortable.

Sometimes it annoys me to have people talking to me when I'd rather be alone, but also sometimes people have interesting things to say. I don't really have strong feelings about this.

Online, though I don't find either to be difficult, really. As for why, I guess it's easier for me to collect my thoughts and to carefully choose how I want to portray what I'm trying to say.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Sep 29, 2015,

Yes. Used to be daily from a computer. At the moment less often.

I usually just post some guitar tune I've made or respond to some else's post.

Wanting to hook up with old friends

Somewhere between normal and antisocial

Much more often. Work related

These days, never.

Bliss

I like free time, self time, if that's what you mean.

I grew bored of any social interaction problems I had when younger and they went away. Talking is easy. I talk in front of groups of people for work.
Last edited by Jehannum at Sep 30, 2015,
Yes, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat. I access Facebook off both my computer and my phone, but Insta and snapchat are only off my phone
Rarely, I haven't posted a status on Facebook in weeks. I tend to actually vent my frustrations on UG.....

Everyone else was doing it

Reasonably quiet, but still actively contributing to conversation

About half/half

Rarely

Bliss

Wut?

Sometimes, I'm shocking at reading body language so face to face conversations can sometimes be.....interesting
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
So your idea is to ask a bunch of monkeys to write you a paper in the hope that it will actually make sense? I have rarely seen anyone go that far to not have to do their own work.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11 at #33616851
So your idea is to ask a bunch of monkeys to write you a paper in the hope that it will actually make sense? I have rarely seen anyone go that far to not have to do their own work.

I thought it was pretty foolproof

As part of the assignment, I have to either interview an expert or take a survey, and I chose to take a survey

Yes I do, but really only Facebook. I access it maybe twice every week. Usually I check for messages on my smartphone, but I prefer typing on my PC, so I use that if there's anything I need to post or reply to.

Rarely. I mostly use the private chat function with anyone who wants to contact me but doesn't have my number (or the other way around). The only 'public' post I make is once a year when I thank everyone for any birthday messages.

Pretty much the fact that other people were using them. It felt easier to keep up with it at least a little bit rather than shut myself off from it all completely.

Depends on the situation. If it's just me and one or two other people I don't have much problems interacting and talking. If more people are present, I find it very hard to focus on more than one person at a time and I at the same have trouble not getting distracted by everyone else. Which can be very exhausting mentally.

As a teenager probably half of my conversations took place through instant messaging, but nowadays I have only very few conversations that aren't face to face. And those via text/whatsapp are always brief.

Never. I don't start many conversations outside of those for work and with friends, but I don't avoid them either. I only really listen to music if I'm not expecting there to be any conversations anyway.

No problem with it whatsoever. In fact I really enjoy being alone at times. I enjoy company (depending on the company) a lot as well, but I'd preferably have a break from it at least daily.

I value it very highly, but in general I don't have any problems making time for a conversation, because I value conversations very highly as well, no matter how pointless they might be.

I think online it might be easier to approach certain subjects, but I find it easier to express myself in real life, as it forces me to focus and I can more easily judge in what way my message will be best understood my the person I'm talking to.

Feel free to use my username if you want