Hi guys, sorry if this is in the wrong forum but it seemed most appropriate.

I've just moved away from home to go to university and I'm suddenly finding myself way worse at playing guitar than I was before. I'm using the exact same gear, strings, picks, everything, but just finding myself really struggling to play things that I used to find so simple. My left hand just won't do what it used to, and I can't seem to find a reason why.

I've also noticed that for some reason my right-hand stamina has suddenly got worse, but I've been able to make progress in improving this again just through pushing my limits.

Has this happened to anyone else? Have you found a way to get back to where you were? I'm 99% sure I'll just get suggestions to take a few steps back and keep practicing, but I'm trying to understand WHY my hands have suddenly stopped working as well as they used to.

Thanks for any help you guys may be able to give.
it's not your hands but your mind. you're in a whole new place and things have changed a great deal. lot on your mind to deal with. get situated and fid some time to practice, it will come back when you relax.
You didn't mention how long it had been since you played. If it's been a month or more I'd suggest you are simply out of practice. If you've been playing steadily and this is a very recent complaint I'd highly suggest you visit a medical expert. The symptoms you mention are possible side effects of strokes, among other things.
It's all about muscle memory. You lose it...just like if you stop working out, stop playing a certain sport...etc.

I was way better when I was 20 than I am now at 40. Why? Because I don't play for 6 hours a day like I did then. I am amazed at the stuff I wrote then...even when I was 30.

I've gotten most of it back, but not all. Just takes time.

Kids...job...it all takes it's toll.

You can get it back. It's not like you fell off the ladder...you just took a few steps down. Stick with it and GO SLOW. It'll come back.
how long have you been playing? i wasn't the most attentive at practicing, so it was a good 3-4 years until i could take any kind of extended break without forgetting how to move my hands the same way i was before. a similar thing is probably happening to you.

if you're not that practiced, you probably haven't developed the awareness of certain details in hand position, posture, pick grip, etc. that are crucial to playing well.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Are you playing as much or as frequently as before? I can imagine that your summer practice routine was a bit more open than your routine now that you're in college. As mentioned, it could also be that you're playing in a crowded dorm building instead of your own room, which can add a "stage fright" factor. I don't know how you practiced before, but if you're used to jamming with tunes loud, you'll definitely find yourself playing differently at lower volume.

Considering how many things have changed rather suddenly in your day-to-day life, it's not surprising that your guitar playing was affected. If you aspire to play guitar at a high level, set yourself a practice routine that you know you have time for. And take music classes when you have the opportunity; taking guitar lessons through the university is a very convenient way to balance academics with recreation.