Page 1 of 3
Just curious what everyone started out with guitar/amp/pedal wise?

Ill start.

Katana Strat copy
10w Gorilla vol/3band eq
Danelectro "Black Coffee" distortion pedal
Zoom 505 (shortly beltaed)

Go.
Squier Affinity Strat + Marshall MS-2

Now running a Baja (MIM) Tele through a TRRI... Man's moved up in the world

...shame my playing's still about as bad...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
One of the first guitars I owned was a Stagg Flying V copy that cost my parents £70 used with a case.

The neck was twisted, it had microphonic pickups and the fretboard wasn't aligned with the neck properly. It also had terrible fret buzz. Everything about it was awful.

My first amp was some generic 10 watt one that claimed to be 30 watts.

Come a long, long way since.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
One of the first guitars I owned was a Stagg Flying V copy that cost my parents £70 used with a case.

The neck was twisted, it had microphonic pickups and the fretboard wasn't aligned with the neck properly. It also had terrible fret buzz. Everything about it was awful.

My first amp was some generic 10 watt one that claimed to be 30 watts.

Come a long, long way since.

Probably a better player for it though am i right?
I started with a '67 Gibson ES-335 12-string with a Vox SuperBeatle amp.

I'd been using the SuperBeatle with a keyboard, and the 335 was used and cheap and a bit dinged and very dirty and no one was doing 12-string stuff at the time. So I got it *really* cheap at the music store where I worked. The owner was glad to see it go. Still have the guitar, wish I still had the amp.
LUXURY you guys don't know how good you had it

no name 60 japanese piece of crap guitar with baseball bat neck and action high enough to make slide players cry. first amp was a super cheap solid state no namer with a volume knob (that's it) and a 4" speaker. pedals nope not til later (mxr distortion + was my first bought in 79)
I had a shitty Epiphone strat copy that never stayed in tune and the pot metal saddles caused me to go through at least one first string every week. The amp was a Holmes Tech 40 solid state, which was a nice practice amp for the time. And I had a black Sovtek Muff.
First Act starter pack but I immediately got a Fender Frontman 15G and a Metal Zone shortly after.

Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah....
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by pressureproject
That's a bad ass pedal, man...what's your problem?

Chill dude just kidding.
Quote by Dick Savage at #33616308
Probably a better player for it though am i right?

It actually heavily discouraged me from playing guitar because it was so frustrating.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I had been playing acoustics for years, so I splurged on my first electric rig. I bought a Hwy 1 Strat and a Vox AC30. They made a really nice pair.
Ibanez SR1200E
my first guitar was a "Global" les paul copy and my first "amp" was an old tube radio my dad made into an amp for me...
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It actually heavily discouraged me from playing guitar because it was so frustrating.

+1. My shitty first Epiphone was so bad that I had to tweak the intonation and file burrs off the saddles at least twice a month. It’s terribly discouraging to have a guitar that needs constant work to stay in tune or not cut the strings. Fortunately crap guitars like that just don’t exist today. Even the worst strat copies are better than beginner guitars were in the 80s and early 90s.
Quote by jpnyc
+1. My shitty first Epiphone was so bad that I had to tweak the intonation and file burrs off the saddles at least twice a month. It’s terribly discouraging to have a guitar that needs constant work to stay in tune or not cut the strings. Fortunately crap guitars like that just don’t exist today. Even the worst strat copies are better than beginner guitars were in the 80s and early 90s.

Thats really interesting guys, having my junk katana (which is probably occupiing a land fill somwhere) and the gorilla made me want to improve my playing that much more so i could (at the time) make it justifiable for my parents to get me something better....that upgrade was a Westone Concord SX (red)....its now a frankenstrat.....whish i knew then what i know now.....
Peavey raptor plus and a Samick amp, ha. At the time I was into nu metal, I put it aside after a while. Pantera got me wanting to play it again though, cranking that amp still couldn't make it audible while playing with a drummer.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
I tried jamming with a 3 peice (drums,bass) on a fender bass amp......needless to say i wasnt heard in the slightest. Lots of learning since those days.
Jay Turser Explorer Clone
Vox AD15VT combo
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
First rig was a Crate solid state 150w halfstack that I went halfsies on with a friend of mine. That, paired up with my Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR. I spoiled myself with my first guitar, getting something pretty high-end (for an import), because at the time I was working full time and still living with my parents. Had more money than most 16 year olds would know what to do with. And I had been playing for several months, using friends' guitars, and knew I needed something better than "entry level". Some people talk about beginners using shitty guitars, with high action and bad frets, like that makes them better players, but I disagree. A guitar that sounds and feels bad is more likely to discourage and frustrate a new player. When I got my Hellraiser, it was a nicer guitar than most of my friends who had been playing longer than me had, and that drove me to play constantly, partly because it was so much more satisfying to play than the plethora of Squier Strats and Epi Special IIs I had played before, and partly because I felt like I had to get good to justify the purchase. I played til my fingers bled. Which took a very long time, because the frets were like butter, and the setup flawless.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
My first guitar was a 3/4 scale Yamaha acoustic. My first "rig" was a Squier Mini strat in red with a Laney HC25 combo amp. Still have the amp today a few feet from this chair. As far as I know it'll still crank. It's grill is rusty, and it's had a bass played through it, but last I checked it'll still crank.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Well,Very first guitar was an awful nylon string classical guitar with action about a centimeter off the board.
First electric was An old Hohner thing that looked quite similar to a Fender Jaguar or JM.It was cream with a tortoise shell pick guard.I actually loved it even though it was terrible and Some 10w solid state amp.
After that i got an 80's or 90's Jap Squier Strat but never knew how good it was,I just wanted a Fender.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Sep 30, 2015,
I had a Jim Deacon strat style guitar and a Roland Micro Cube, this was a few years ago but I do still use the amp just for practicing round peoples houses.
Gear
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom-S
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez RG370DXL w/SD Invaders and a hot rail
Tanglewood acoustic
Marshall JVM410H
+a lot of pedals!
First guitar was a second-hand LP copy. Headstock said "DeVille" on it, google seems to know not a damn thing about them. Was pretty decent, though.

First amp was a 20W Kustom. Never got a really nice sound out of it, but that probably had a lot to do with not having a clue about setting it up.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
for my first electric guitar setup I borrowed an Ovation Celebrity KMD superstrat type thing and a 65 watt Marlin amp off my cousin.

First "rig" I actually bought was an Epiphone G-400 and a Vox AD50VT.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
A 70's Sanox LP clone I still have, a 25watt 1x12 Dean SS amp and a DOD Grunge pedal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I started on acoustic, a fairly inexpensive one by a Polish company called T.Burton, I still have it and play it - it plays really, really nice for its price (430 PLN, ~$120), and sounds nice.

After a year and a half, decided for a 7-string electric (might sound like a slightly crazy idea but I wanted brvtal downtuning along with spacey high-pitched cleans, I do not regret that decision), and got a Schecter Demon 7, along with a Marshall MG15, which imo has okay cleans but the in-built distortion sounded crap with the actives. (A pedal helped.)

Come a long way since then in terms of amp, but still have the guitar and it's not going anywhere - I'm considering a pickup upgrade and getting the frets a bit more even, but overall it plays really, really nice as well. And I've grown really attached to it, having written quite a lot of stuff on it at this point.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
I had (still have it, dismantled and nothing like its beginning) a Washburn X-series, Johnson starter amp and a Boss DS-1. I thought it was brutal! Silly me.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
squier strat and a crate mx-10 solid state 10 watt box with an 8 inch speaker.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by bobafettacheese
I had (still have it, dismantled and nothing like its beginning) a Washburn X-series, Johnson starter amp and a Boss DS-1. I thought it was brutal! Silly me.

Of course it was silly to think it was brutal if there was no Metal Zone.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Squier Strat starter pack, 9 years ago.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Starfire guitar (Made in Taiwan) + Marshall VS30R amp + DOD Death Metal Distortion Pedal
Epiphone Slasher (red), Fender Frontman 15G. Man, talk about a throwback.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Page 1 of 3