hi guys,
I want to understand how you would set/use your guitar volume when playing???? also how do you setup your amp, using the bass/treble/ mid controls for best tone, thanks for your help,

all the best, bluesfloyd
this is literally the most open ended question i've ever seen on this forum, you have infinite possibilities and everyone has their own personal opinion on this
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by bluesfloyd
hi guys,
I want to understand how you would set/use your guitar volume when playing???? also how do you setup your amp, using the bass/treble/ mid controls for best tone, thanks for your help,

all the best, bluesfloyd

Do you have a guitar?

Do you have an amp?

If the answer to both of those is "Yes", you have all the tools you need to answer the question yourself.

If you're looking for specific settings, try the settings thread.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by bluesfloyd
hi guys,

all the best, bluesfloyd

really depends upon what you are playing and what your tone is. maybe you can tell us what type of music you are into and what gear you are playing?

for me, i really like a lot deathmetal. ripping corpse, morbid angel, immolation, etc... and some older stuff, plus originals. i use a flextone 2 at home and set it for the 95' mesa dual rect & line 6 4x12 cab. i drop tune down a whole step and use 6, 7, & 8 string guitars. i like a super wide and deep bottom that's tight but right at the verge of not being tight. i like tight mids, and clear flat trebles. gain is usually on 5, bass, mid, & treble depend upon the guitar but generally around 6, 7, 8, channel volume is usually around 6 or 7 and master is set to how ever loud i feel like playing at the time. but each guitar is different. i have actives, and i have passives, and it just really requires you to have your "tone identity" in your head then all you have to do is to tweak knobs until you get there.
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 30, 2015,
Start with volume at 0 and everything else halfway. Turn the volume up to the volume level you want.

From there adjust bass, middle and treble until you get the tone you want.

I play clean probably 80% of the time, classic rock band. I usually set my Super Reverb something like this -

Bass 5 to 7
Mids 4 or so
Treble 5 or 6.

Bright switch for vibrato channel on, normal channel off. Normal channel is set just a little brighter than normal channel for leads. (that may sound strange, bright switch is off, I crank the treble a lot more to get it brighter, bass a lot higher too. it makes the amp work a little more to get the sound out.) I use an A/B switch so I can use both channels, whichever I need for lead or rhythm sound.

I like a really full sound. Once I get the amp up to normal stage volume for most clubs, it sounds like a 10 foot bulldog barking behind me when I hit a low note. I can feel it hit me in the back. enough treble to cut through the mix and plenty bass to keep the low notes good and solid. I hate a wimpy sound...

For the gigs I've been doing the past year we have to play at very low volume, restaurants and such. At times we play louder in the practice room...I set the amp for the same tone, good and full, but without the volume level. If you listen to the Allman Brothers song Good Clean Fun, the first two notes, a low C, is very similar to the effect I want. Those low notes need to jump out like that or I'm tweaking my amp.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Turn it up till my head hurts. Then go into the next room and start playing.
The guitar volume knob is mostly used to regulate gain. When you are on a high gain channel for example, and you turn back the volume knob, you'll notice that it will distort less and you can play semi-clean/crunchy stuff on it. Or you can use it to, well, regulate volume.

There's no "best" tone. Like Paleo Pete said, set everything halfway except the volume and start from there.
If you play in a band, be sure to not cut too much mids away cause you won't cut through the mix. Also, don't exagerate with bass, as it will clog up the bottom end of your band and sound muddy.
That's a bout all i can give you.
Quote by Arby911
This is occasionally true on amps with a limited control set, but on the majority of them is decidedly not the case. While any volume increase is technically "gain", it's more common that there be a dedicated "gain" knob somewhere in the preamp section (may be called something else), and often a channel volume and then a master volume.

Not sure if you misunderstood him or not, so if I misunderstood your point, I apologize arby.

Seems, to me, you misunderstood as he was talking about the volume knob on an amp, when he meant the volume on a guitar.
What he meant was the volume knob is mostly used to clean up the sound. I.E. Turning it down to get cleans and up to get some more chunk.
Quote by Random3
Put everything on 10.

This.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by darkwolf291
Not sure if you misunderstood him or not, so if I misunderstood your point, I apologize arby.

Seems, to me, you misunderstood as he was talking about the volume knob on an amp, when he meant the volume on a guitar.
What he meant was the volume knob is mostly used to clean up the sound. I.E. Turning it down to get cleans and up to get some more chunk.

Nah, I misread his post, my bad!!

Also, what ever are you talking about...?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 1, 2015,
Stand 15 feet from the amp and set the EQ *BLINDFOLDED* until you get a sound you like that's not too bassy, not too bright, and not too boxy.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
hi guys,
many thanks for the above posts, lots of answers about my first question, lots of advice for me to try,i am sure i can get my amp tone sounding better now,

all the best, bluesfloyd.