Hi today i bought a used MIM strat and when i shake the guitar the tuning machines make a noise like they are coming off or unglued and when i was tuning the guitar i noticed that they were kinda loose is this normal??
Last edited by adelino316 at Sep 30, 2015,
Tighten them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You mean the posts themselves are loose?

It's quite normal for them to have a bit of play, but having a lot of play means they're either crappy or worn.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
regarding your rattling: tighten the knobs, tuner mounting screws, and hex nuts (if you have hex nuts not ferrules). under string tension your posts won't be rattling about. if you have a flat washer under the hex nut, this will buzz around which is why the hex nut should be snugged down.

take care with the tiny tuner mounting screws btw, they can break off leading to a bit of annoyance -(yours or a repair person)

also don't overtighten the knob screws. they should have either a wave washer or a small nylon washer betwix the knob and the tuner body to provide a bit of tension. some use felt. if it is missing they can rattle -if the screw is set too tight, you will have a hard time turning the knob.

if you have those silly string trees check them out as well.

about your moving posts: some rotational looseness is normal to a gear set. this is a form of clearance called backlash and is necessary for the gear set to function. there is also a bit of looseness in the bushing where the shaft goes through. this lateral/radial looseness is also called clearance. this is necessary for the post to rotate freely through the bushing but not bind. if there is more then when new, this is likely from wear. higher quality tuners will have little of both, cheapies will have more. too much is best determined by a "hands on" inspection. if adjustment doesn't work, replacement is the cure.

might be a good opportunity to upgrade.
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 30, 2015,
Sometimes cheap tuners just wear out and need replacing. I have a guitar with Wilkinson tuners like this. Try tightening the screws in case they’re just rattling against the neck. If they still rattle just splurge on a set of locking tuners.
Quote by adelino316
Hi today i bought a used MIM strat and when i shake the guitar the tuning machines make a noise like they are coming off or unglued and when i was tuning the guitar i noticed that they were kinda loose is this normal??

My used MIM strat I picked up had a similar issue. The nut that holds the tuning machines onto the neck were more than finger loose. I just tightened them up with a wrench. Good to go.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .