Hey everyone,
So I'm planning to buy an agile, but am debating 3010se vs 3100. Basically my question is, is the upgrade worth it? I mean it is just an extra 50-ish dollars, but does that make a difference? I have links for both models in my preferred colors below, please check them out and give feedback.

Links:
3010SE

3100MCC
Quote by dspellman
Yes!!!!!!!!!

The Upgrade Is Worth It.

hey dspellman, thanks for the input, but how so? Is it better sounding? Better quality?
Quote by columbiar
I would say yes, for the coil tapping alone.

Oh wow there's coil tapping? Why did I never notice that? So I'm assuming there's push-pull pots? And also, do you own a 3100? If so how is it?
Quote by eragon1452
Oh wow there's coil tapping? Why did I never notice that? So I'm assuming there's push-pull pots? And also, do you own a 3100? If so how is it?

I have a 3001 and love it.
Quote by columbiar
I have a 3001 and love it.

Wait so is that closer to a 3010 or a 3100?
Quote by eragon1452
Wait so is that closer to a 3010 or a 3100?

The 3010 SE is actually the bottom rung in the 3000 series, both cheaper and with fewer features.

The original AL-3000 has multi-layer binding (like a Gibson Custom) on body and headstock, for example, while the 3010SE comes with single-layer binding.

The 3010SE also comes with a Cepheus bridge.

The 3100 MCC has a compound radius fretboard (12" - 16"), where the usual Asian import radius is 13.7" (though the Rondo information has BOTH listed). The MCC has a Graphtech NVS2 bridge with String Saver saddles. The MCC has a full 3/4" maple cap (the 3010SE does not -- there's a 1/16th" maple veneer over a mahogany body). The MCC (black version) has multi-layer binding on the front AND the back of the body. Inlays are real MOP
In short, the MCC specs meet or exceed those of the Gibson Custom (come to think of it, the Customs come with Richlite fretboard these days, don't they?). And, of course

The compound radius isn't a huge deal, honestly -- think of it as a slightly more comfortable 14" radius fretboard. The 12" section is a bit rounder for more comfortable chording, the 16" section (which is actually 14-15" where you're playing lead) is a bit flatter for easier bending, yada yada.

One more thing -- the 3200MCC has all that plus a contoured neck heel like a Gibson Axcess. And neck-through construction (no Gibson LP offers that). And a tummy cut. But it's $499.99. IMHO, that's one of the best LP bargains out there.
Quote by dspellman
The 3010 SE is actually the bottom rung in the 3000 series, both cheaper and with fewer features.

The original AL-3000 has multi-layer binding (like a Gibson Custom) on body and headstock, for example, while the 3010SE comes with single-layer binding.

The 3010SE also comes with a Cepheus bridge.

The 3100 MCC has a compound radius fretboard (12" - 16"), where the usual Asian import radius is 13.7" (though the Rondo information has BOTH listed). The MCC has a Graphtech NVS2 bridge with String Saver saddles. The MCC has a full 3/4" maple cap (the 3010SE does not -- there's a 1/16th" maple veneer over a mahogany body). The MCC (black version) has multi-layer binding on the front AND the back of the body. Inlays are real MOP
In short, the MCC specs meet or exceed those of the Gibson Custom (come to think of it, the Customs come with Richlite fretboard these days, don't they?). And, of course

The compound radius isn't a huge deal, honestly -- think of it as a slightly more comfortable 14" radius fretboard. The 12" section is a bit rounder for more comfortable chording, the 16" section (which is actually 14-15" where you're playing lead) is a bit flatter for easier bending, yada yada.

One more thing -- the 3200MCC has all that plus a contoured neck heel like a Gibson Axcess. And neck-through construction (no Gibson LP offers that). And a tummy cut. But it's $499.99. IMHO, that's one of the best LP bargains out there.

Ok so basically it's like 3 times better and is comparable to a Gibson, am I right? And also, about the coil tapping, is it really coil "tapping"? I only say this because sometimes coil "tapping" and coil "splitting" are used interchangeably. So is it a tap? Or a split?
Split. A "tap" is when you select a point on the coil winds OTHER than between the two coils.
Quote by eragon1452
Ok so basically it's like 3 times better and is comparable to a Gibson, am I right? And also, about the coil tapping, is it really coil "tapping"? I only say this because sometimes coil "tapping" and coil "splitting" are used interchangeably. So is it a tap? Or a split?

It's not "comparable" to a Gibson, and the 3100MCC is not three times better than the 3010SE. *I* think it's better, and I'm not sure how to quantify it.

Gibson guitars are different from the Agile AL series, that's all. They use a different finish, they have a differently shaped cutaway horn, they have a different fretboard radius, different neck profile, different size frets, different bridge, different saddles, different nut, different material for their inlays, etc. Most Gibsons are hollowed out, most Agiles are solid body guitars.

I think the Agile series is an enormous bargain for the money, and is a high quality guitar.
Quote by dspellman
It's not "comparable" to a Gibson, and the 3100MCC is not three times better than the 3010SE. *I* think it's better, and I'm not sure how to quantify it.

Gibson guitars are different from the Agile AL series, that's all. They use a different finish, they have a differently shaped cutaway horn, they have a different fretboard radius, different neck profile, different size frets, different bridge, different saddles, different nut, different material for their inlays, etc. Most Gibsons are hollowed out, most Agiles are solid body guitars.

I think the Agile series is an enormous bargain for the money, and is a high quality guitar.

Alright thanks that was a bit clearing, I think I'm gonna go 3100 if I can