I ordered a custom guitar online, that worth nearly 3560$, and received it a few days ago. It has a swamp ash body and I found some knots on the back of the guitar. I know knots which are not on the neck, wouldn't damage the guitar. But considering the price of the guitar, I wonder if its alright to have those knots or not.

I've contact the customer of service and they said its pretty normal to have them on ash body. What do you think?
Being a luthier myself, I would have asked the customer first if some imperfections were acceptable and showed him/her the chosen piece of wood. It's just a matter of aesthetics because those knots wont really have any negative impact on the instrument, however I think they should have contacted you before going on with the build. It's expensive and custom made, they should have done a better job than that, in terms of customer service.

Anyway, I think it looks good and those knots make it unique, which is also the point of a custom instrument. Don't worry about them being a problem, if the wood was properly stored and treated it will be just fine regardless of those knots
Personally I like it. I think that it adds character to it and definitely adds the "one of a kind" vibe, which is what you were probably after from the start. I agree with Bank though, they could have at least given you the heads up. Fault on customer service, still a beautiful guitar.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I have several very high-end guitars that are done of maple burls, etc., and they feature whorls, knots and even bark inclusions. Some of the guitars date to the mid-70's and have been absolutely stable. Not worrisome at all, and as long as they're not on the neck, it's got some character.
sooo.... what's this thing look like from the front?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I think they should have told you first, but it won't effect the sound at all. I like the way it looks...

I have a mahogany V that has worm holes in it...it sounds great and looks cool to
^ also gotta be pretty handy for teleporting across the universe, no?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It wouldn't bother me if I had been consulted, but I would be really unhappy at not being consulted. - Human nature is funny, the look/functionality is fine, the issue is the circumstances.
Speaking of wormholes, the oddest one I have seen was a Cole Clark strat in "wormy quandong". The holes were all though it like a Swiss cheese and well over 1/8"across, highlighted in black, while the rest of the body was psychedelic colours.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 3, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ also gotta be pretty handy for teleporting across the universe, no?

yep ... I knew about that water thing on mars years before that NASA crowd
For the amount of money you paid, I'd be pretty pissed off and I'd personally demand a new guitar or a decent price break (like at least $500) for that showing up on my custom guitar.

I would have refused to take it

This might seem petty to some, but you just shelled out $3500 and it should be reflected in the wood. a $3000 PRS is flawless, yours is far from it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by sytharnia1560
yep ... I knew about that water thing on mars years before that NASA crowd

LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
For the amount of money you paid, I'd be pretty pissed off and I'd personally demand a new guitar or a decent price break (like at least $500) for that showing up on my custom guitar.

I would have refused to take it

This might seem petty to some, but you just shelled out $3500 and it should be reflected in the wood. a $3000 PRS is flawless, yours is far from it

I agree, for that kind of money you expect the guitar to be perfect.

Send it back.