Hey,
I want to get as close as possible to the tone of Randy Rhoads. I'm using a Blackstar ID TVP. I have the choice between 6 tubes "simulations", which one would you pick ?

EL84
6V6
EL34
KT66
6L6
KT88

?
EL34 would be "right" for the amps Randy was playing, but I haven't tried your amp so I don't know how exactly it sounds. I'd assume that for a modeller EL34 would mean Marshall, anyway.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Randy used a cranked Marshall plexi that was modded.

So yeah EL34 would be where I'd start. Crank the master volume and then slowly turn the pre/gain up

What I think is funny is 6L6 and KT66 are pretty much identical tubes 6l6 being the USA name for them and KT66 being the European name for them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 1, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
What I think is funny is 6L6 and KT66 are pretty much identical tubes 6l6 being the USA name for them and KT66 being the European name for them

As far as I know* they're not identical but the KT66 is basically just the European version of the same thing. People claim there's a difference in tone but for all I know that could easily be the sort of person that notices a "difference in tone" after getting a haircut.

*I'm being pretentious, I have fuck all idea but I Wiki'd it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I dont really know, but on the amp i'm using, KT66 and 6l6 are clearly not the same.

edit: i found this on an old UG thread, the description of the difference is pretty accurate :

Compared to a 6L6, KT66s have less clean headroom, have a smoother breakup, more mids and a more bell-like top end while the 6L6 can sound a little bit harsh and glassy.
Last edited by _tim* at Oct 1, 2015,
You could get in the ballpark by starting off with a Marshall style emulation. Just add more gain and boost the mids and bass a bit. "EL34" emulation I guess

Mind you, I think the Dist + plays a pretty decent part in that "fuzzy" kind of quality his tone has so without that and the 6 band setup, it won't be perfect. FWIW I used to use a Distortion + and a bit of chorus in front of my Excelsior and when I would crank the amp up and hammer the front end with the box, I was getting a pretty passable RR tone (Although I was aiming for his live tone and not that tinny first album tone).
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yeah, i'm not looking for the carbon copy of his tone, just want to get a bit closer. I found some patches for RR on the blackstar community, i''l try them
Quote by K33nbl4d3
EL34 would be "right" for the amps Randy was playing, but I haven't tried your amp so I don't know how exactly it sounds. I'd assume that for a modeller EL34 would mean Marshall, anyway.

At one point or another Marshall used almost all of those tubes...
Quote by dspellman
At one point or another Marshall used almost all of those tubes...

Which ones haven't they? The KT66?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
KT66's are what are in a JTM45
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So then the 88s right? I mean they have used everything else in that list in SOMETHING. Maybe not in a famous model but still..
The Marshall Major ran KT88's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well that's all of them then. Marshall has ran a ton of tubes. Funny how they are so associated with the 34s
Quote by K33nbl4d3
People claim there's a difference in tone but for all I know that could easily be the sort of person that notices a "difference in tone" after getting a haircut.

Eric Johnson did have some pretty ridiculous haircuts in the 80s. He was near enough at the full Pat Sharp at one point. Maybe he was trying to improve his tone. (Makes as much sense as his possibly thinking they looked good.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You could get in the ballpark by starting off with a Marshall style emulation. Just add more gain and boost the mids and bass a bit. "EL34" emulation I guess

Mind you, I think the Dist + plays a pretty decent part in that "fuzzy" kind of quality his tone has so without that and the 6 band setup, it won't be perfect. FWIW I used to use a Distortion + and a bit of chorus in front of my Excelsior and when I would crank the amp up and hammer the front end with the box, I was getting a pretty passable RR tone (Although I was aiming for his live tone and not that tinny first album tone).

the MXR D+ was a big part of Randy's tone for sure. worrying about tube type seems like a pretty minor thing compared to other elements of the tone you seek.
some of his stuff almost has an out of phase / cocked wah type tone to me. since i can put my pups out of phase i would play like that. i think the way he EQed and the distortion + accentuated that tone greatly.

im sure your patches you are finding the treble higher and mids probably very high with little bass and a classic marshall 70-80s esk british grind, with humbuckers (mid-low output). i may even say a roll off of the tone knob
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)