I slipped by accident on my guitar and is the result.

You can go in like 2-3 millimeters in that crack and the guitar (Ibanez AR-420) stays in tune perfectly. Should I do something to that crack or not?
That's a pretty catastrophic break.

You should do something about it. It'll only get worse with time.

Unfortunately getting cracks that extensive in an area like the neck joint is going to cost hundreds of dollars to repair. It may very easily cost more to repair it than what the guitar is worth.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
if you don't care too much about fit-n-finish, those cracks can be stabilized with injected titebond and clamping. probably run you about $150. it'll be ugly but it will work.

if you want a "like new" repair, you're looking at removing the neck, stabilizing the cracks, dealing with the binding, and then refinishing the guitar. possibly in the $400 to $500 usd range just going by that one picture alone. they may be hidden damages elsewhere. turnaround with the respray might be in the 3 mo range bc the lacquer's gotta cure.

i suggest unstringing it and putting it in the case bc the cracks need to be kept clean. shop around for estimates and consider your options.

it's too bad. those ar's are nice guitars. i have one myself.
Injection works had a Les Paul with a broken off headstock repaired that way. It worked perfectly. It was done by world-class luthier named Gene liberty who had done many repairs like this.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's a pretty catastrophic break.

You should do something about it. It'll only get worse with time.

Unfortunately getting cracks that extensive in an area like the neck joint is going to cost hundreds of dollars to repair. It may very easily cost more to repair it than what the guitar is worth.

Shit, really?! Yeah the guitar didn't cost me that much and spend even half of it's money in repair I don't think that is worth it.
Is there nothing I can do? Like a DIY with some glue, even if it looks bad I don't care right now.
Quote by dekc at #33619800
Shit, really?! Yeah the guitar didn't cost me that much and spend even half of it's money in repair I don't think that is worth it.
Is there nothing I can do? Like a DIY with some glue, even if it looks bad I don't care right now.

Sure, you can do that.

You just need to have the right tools and enough knowhow if your want your repair to work.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not enough knowhow...
I was thinking a more stupid looking but maybe long term effective way.
What if I drill a hole through the end of the neck and body and place a bolt and two nuts?
If not, take of the strings get the most powerful glue I can find (if you know one please advice me!) and with some tools keep it together for like 24 hours until the glue or whatever I put there is hard enough.
I bought an acoustic from a garage sale that was broke like that. I wood glued and clamped it. Needless to say, I have been loving playing on that thing. It can be done. I was happy with the results. Looks and feels like a 500 dollar guitar that I bought for 5 dollars.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Quote by tysona23
I bought an acoustic from a garage sale that was broke like that. I wood glued and clamped it. Needless to say, I have been loving playing on that thing. It can be done. I was happy with the results. Looks and feels like a 500 dollar guitar that I bought for 5 dollars.

Nice! So just wood glue, and how much did you keep it clamped?
Just remember it will cost much more to repair a botched repair then have a pro fix it in the first place.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Well somehow I've managed to glue it, the only thing is that the low E string buzz a little at fret 11-12-13-14 is there something I can do with this?
Sorry to see that. These set neck double cuts are really prone to breakage in that area.

Raise the action and hope for the best... Since you've already gone ahead with a DIY repair, I think we can agree that you've either fixed it enough for it to be usable for you or shot yourself in the foot - fixing a botched repair is going to cost.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
Sorry to see that. These set neck double cuts are really prone to breakage in that area.

Raise the action and hope for the best... Since you've already gone ahead with a DIY repair, I think we can agree that you've either fixed it enough for it to be usable for you or shot yourself in the foot - fixing a botched repair is going to cost.

Ok thanks, I tried it a little and it's almost perfect, I'll wait to put some new strings before doing it for the last time.
Can you also please tell what that screw does, the one that seems to move the little metal part on wich the string is resting?
Quote by dekc at #33625580

Can you also please tell what that screw does, the one that seems to move the little metal part on wich the string is resting?

That screw moves the string saddle to adjust intonation.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by dekc
Nice! So just wood glue, and how much did you keep it clamped?

Wood clamps. They have a trade mark name but it's slipping my mind right now. It has a trigger to tighten it up with to big rubber contact surfaces.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
I used tite bond 3 I think and normal c-clamps with retrofitted pads for the clamps. The good news is, the tite bond will harden stronger than the wood itself.
Quote by dekc
Well somehow I've managed to glue it, the only thing is that the low E string buzz a little at fret 11-12-13-14 is there something I can do with this?

right near the fracture. that break probably popped up a few frets. they'll need to be reset and the board leveled and /or the frets re-crowned as needed.

or you can crank up the action high enough so that nothing buzzes. up to you.
Last edited by ad_works at Oct 6, 2015,
Quote by tysona23
Wood clamps. They have a trade mark name but it's slipping my mind right now. It has a trigger to tighten it up with to big rubber contact surfaces.

Jorgensson and Bessey clamp are the two major mfgs.

usually called a Bessey clamp though.
Last edited by ad_works at Oct 6, 2015,