Hey Guys, I remember viewing a long, very detailed thread about what to upgrade on said guitar, but I can't find it anymore.

Does it still exist? Link?

Thanks!
Might try the EG sub forum.

Edit:
Try a search.
Got 13 pages of results, but I only dug as deep as 5 or 5 pages.
I did one and found several threads relating to Epiphone LP and modding.
One place to start at least.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Oct 1, 2015,
Probably not, but the stuff I would upgrade is:
-Pickups
-Electronics
-Nut
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You didn't mention which modal Epiphone Les Paul you have. I have a Standard (Black), an Ultra II, a Custom, and a 1960 Tribute plus. I haven't found the need to change anything on them but that's just my preference. What don't you like about the guitar you have and what kind of sound are you looking for?
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
What don't you like about the current pickups? Do you want to go for a specific sound or do you want something more versatile?
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I have the Black Les Paul Custom with the gold hardware. I've replaced the pups with the Slash Seymour Duncans...

Not really going for a particular sound, just want to make it the best I can, more sustain would be nice.

I remember the thread I'm speaking of being quite detailed with a leveling of the frets, scraping between the frets, but it seemed like replacing the electrical components being the biggest thing...

I'm probably going to replace the pots, input jack, pup selector and nut with a bone nut...

I'd also really like to have a bridge with a Piezo pickup as well...
I'm not sure you need a specific thread to tell you these things, it seems like you already understand the generic upgrades, and few if any are going to be guitar-specific.

We can help with suggestions, but in general just upgrading the cheap OEM parts is the way forward. Of course, the output jack isn't going to change how anything sounds, and neither is the pickup selector, but pots and nut are always nice upgrades. Piezo bridge is a taste/need thing, and will dictate what you might want to do with the rest of the electronics, so figure out if you really want that before you make other plans. It sounds like you're just wanting to throw money at this guitar to make it better, which is a time-honored tradition, but it might be more effective to think hard about exactly what you want the end product to be.
Sounds about right, I figure I can throw some money at it and see if it keeps me from buying a Gibson! lol

I hear what you're saying, the bridge thing is not completely necessary but would be pretty sweet, I really like the sound of a blend between piezo and regular pups...

The thread was really long and detailed and for my specific guitar and seemed like a good reference point...

Thanks for all the replies! MUST NOT LOOK AT GOLD TOPS...lol
Quote by TheRockGJ
I remember the thread I'm speaking of being quite detailed with a leveling of the frets, scraping between the frets, but it seemed like replacing the electrical components being the biggest thing.

Reminds me of this:

www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/14714-complete-epi-custom-setup.html
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Wow, nice. While there's nothing particularly instrument-specific there, that's a great example of a full refurb, almost a partial rebuild, of a guitar. Keep in mind that what was done there was a ton of labor and you'd be charged hundreds of dollars if you asked a shop to do it. It's the kind of work that you either learn to do yourself or pay a lot of money for someone you trust to do well. If you're not doing the work yourself, I'd suggest not going that far on a guitar that you aren't totally in love with already.

It's a great treatment for a special guitar, and it should turn nearly any competently made instrument into something great, but I'd hesitate to pay someone a bunch of money to do it to a guitar I didn't feel had exceptionally 'good bones' to begin with. You can give that treatment to any instrument, and some may need far less work - no sense spending money turning a common, "pretty good" guitar into a really good one, when you can wait for an exceptional one (at any price point) and then put money into making it perfect. You're not going to get any of this money back if you resell the guitar - being patient and discerning may be the difference between a nice guitar and a lifelong player.
Quote by Roc8995
Wow, nice. While there's nothing particularly instrument-specific there, that's a great example of a full refurb, almost a partial rebuild, of a guitar. Keep in mind that what was done there was a ton of labor and you'd be charged hundreds of dollars if you asked a shop to do it. It's the kind of work that you either learn to do yourself or pay a lot of money for someone you trust to do well. If you're not doing the work yourself, I'd suggest not going that far on a guitar that you aren't totally in love with already.

It's a great treatment for a special guitar, and it should turn nearly any competently made instrument into something great, but I'd hesitate to pay someone a bunch of money to do it to a guitar I didn't feel had exceptionally 'good bones' to begin with. You can give that treatment to any instrument, and some may need far less work - no sense spending money turning a common, "pretty good" guitar into a really good one, when you can wait for an exceptional one (at any price point) and then put money into making it perfect. You're not going to get any of this money back if you resell the guitar - being patient and discerning may be the difference between a nice guitar and a lifelong player.

Well, I did most of those things to my LP, not completely confident in the fretwork, so I may have a guy check them and shape them better than I did. The fretboard scraping made me nervous, but it came out nice.

Ordered all new electronics and a Gotoh bridge and tailpiece and going to have dude make a bone nut for it. I'll update after it's all put together.

Thanks again for the help!
Well, I got her back and it's my opinion that all the work made a pretty big difference!

Bone Nut
Gotoh Bridge and Tailpiece
CTS500k Pots
Orange Drop Capacitor
Switchcraft Pup Select and Input Jack
Fret Leveling, crown and Polish
Already had Seymour Duncan Slash Pups in it
Full setup

I think the sustain is much improved, the volume and tone controls ACTUALLY roll off gradually and I can already get many different tones from it.

The action is perfect up and down the neck!

I think I've successfully prevented myself from shelling out 2 or 3 grrr on a Gibson! lol

Coming from someone who didn't really know if all of these upgrades would make a difference, I'm very happy and it all did what I had hoped for...

Thank you everyone for all of your input and help.
Great. Good luck. I know how good Epiphone Les Paul's are to start with so I can only imagine how good yours is now after all those upgrades.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
New fretwork and new electronics will make a HUGE difference in playability and tonal control (note that I don't consider pickups part of the electronics, they're their own category), and new pickups will improve the tonal qualities of the guitar quite a bit assuming they're a good match.

You made the right decision by upgrading it. I've done this to a great many midrange guitars (usually LTDs) because the woodwork and everything is usually good, but the finer details leave something to be desired.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 13, 2015,