Page 1 of 2
"Fuck hipster farmers" - J Mascis
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
go to shoreditch and walk around for 5 mins.

too hard to generalise hipsters since they're always competing to get on the next bandwagon earlier, but you can always easily spot their bullshit.

edit: a lot of that stuff in that video is "out" now, but some people still try to pull it off in a "I'm being cool by doing the thing that was trying to be cool by being uncool but then everyone did it and it became genuinely uncool so everyone stopped doing it, which made it cool again, in an uncool way". actually hard to tell who is trying to do that and who is just way behind on trends.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
A lot of people are hipster now leading to hipsters having to either be more hipster or just be "ironic" about being mainstream
tbh i dont even know what counts as hipster anymore I kinda stopped paying attention when I left /mu/

i could be a hipster rn by someone's judgement idk
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
tbh i dont even know what counts as hipster anymore I kinda stopped paying attention when I left /mu/

i could be a hipster rn by someone's judgement idk

hipsters would not be posting on this site.

I've seen some people who might be called hipster here but they're oblivious to how hipster they appear and so therefore are not hipster, even though much of their real world social group probably is.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I never understood what exactly a hipster is, or why they're so much worse than any other subculture. My friend who spends too much time on Reddit uses "hipster" as a general purpose insult.
Quote by theguitarist
go to shoreditch and walk around for 5 mins.

too hard to generalise hipsters since they're always competing to get on the next bandwagon earlier, but you can always easily spot their bullshit.

edit: a lot of that stuff in that video is "out" now, but some people still try to pull it off in a "I'm being cool by doing the thing that was trying to be cool by being uncool but then everyone did it and it became genuinely uncool so everyone stopped doing it, which made it cool again, in an uncool way". actually hard to tell who is trying to do that and who is just way behind on trends.

Spot on
Quote by sashki
I never understood what exactly a hipster is, or why they're so much worse than any other subculture. My friend who spends too much time on Reddit uses "hipster" as a general purpose insult.

I think the implications is that people think the "stereotypical hipsters" go out of their way to find obscure things for the sake of being obscure, not because they genuinely LIKE that kind of stuff. So when people call you a hipster, IMO they are implying you're being a disingenuous try hard who tries to seem more cultured then they are by gravitating to things that most people don't find interesting to lord it over you and call you a basic pleb. Which is dumb, but people gotta people I guess.

Mind you, I don't care either way. It's just my view on how people view hipsters when they don't really know what a hipster is.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
But... I'm a dickhead, just not in the ways mentioned in that video.

Does that mean I'm not cool?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33618605
But... I'm a dickhead, just not in the ways mentioned in that video.

Does that mean I'm not cool?

I like to consider myself more than just a dickhead. By which I mean the entire dick and a bit of the sack as well. Does that mean I'm only partially cool?
Quote by ultimate-slash
I like to consider myself more than just a dickhead. By which I mean the entire dick and a bit of the sack as well. Does that mean I'm only partially cool?

Depends on a combination of weather and airyness of boxer shorts. It could be getting kind of muggy if it's warm and tight.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I think the implications is that people think the "stereotypical hipsters" go out of their way to find obscure things for the sake of being obscure, not because they genuinely LIKE that kind of stuff. So when people call you a hipster, IMO they are implying you're being a disingenuous try hard who tries to seem more cultured then they are by gravitating to things that most people don't find interesting to lord it over you and call you a basic pleb. Which is dumb, but people gotta people I guess.

Mind you, I don't care either way. It's just my view on how people view hipsters when they don't really know what a hipster is.

I know people who genuinely enjoy things associated with the hipster stereotype.
Also, in my experience, the people who like to show off are not into obscure things, but instead stuff like wealth, sophistication and social status.
A rich kid who posts on facebook about his life-changing trip to Peru is more of a tryhard, in my opinion, than someone who likes vinyl records and fixed gear bikes. Or the girl in college who wants everyone to know which difficult book she is so deeply moved by.

I'm probably a hipster in someone's eyes.
Last edited by sashki at Oct 1, 2015,
I don't even know what it is anymore. I've been called a hipster because of bands I like. And because I sometimes wear a V-neck or skinny-ish jeans

Also got called one because I wore a tank-top. Like tank-tops are bro if anything, you idiot.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Depends on a combination of weather and airyness of boxer shorts. It could be getting kind of muggy if it's warm and tight.

Thought your ilk was into skirts....sorry, I mean kilts.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

in attitude, its being pretentious about stuff purely for the purpose of creating an image
in look, it's adopting a style purely to appear different, rather than having a true preference to look that way

doing things to appear more impressive than you are with no real substance or passion behind it other than puffing up your ego and perceived standing and uniqueness among everyone else (though the self-depreciating hipster is a thing too, it becomes a competition over who hates themselves the most and the most pathetic is top hipster in that group).

you get this all over the place but want differentiates the behaviours as "hipster" is an extension of post millennial and 90s apathy of "being cool by being uncool" escalating to the point of encouraging forced quirkiness and another stream of trying to be ironically stylish.

or some shit ramble about this all being baby boomers and the 80's fault. most of the above is bullshit anyway. (yes this whole post is very hipster but I'm non-white and non-white persons can get away with a lot of this crap before they are classified as hipster)

I just define hipster as someone who is full of shit and heavily obsessed in their persona and the perception people have of them but acts like they aren't and are really cool and interesting in a "i'm not trying" way rather than a loudly boastful way.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/27/shoreditch-cereal-cafe-targeted-by-anti-gentrification-protesters

The cereal-only cafe has sparked controversy since its opening. The Keery brothers were forced to defend their prices after a Channel 4 News interviewer asked whether local people could afford £3.20 for a bowl of cereal.

smfh
Quote by TobusRex
Thought your ilk was into skirts....sorry, I mean kilts.

It's not everyday wear.

Everyday wear is a full-length sequinned ball gown, or a gigham dress and army boots.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slipknot5678

shoreditch is pretty much the best place in london to see hipsters of the standard hipster stereotype, if you want examples.

that said, I was surprised there are any poor/average people left in shoreditch to protest this.

they may have just come down from hackney and bethnal green though, both of which are become more gentrified everyday.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Hackney looks like the actual third world though when you go on the train through it

yeah that's why the trendy kids are loving it.

but now they're regenerating so much of it and all the poorer people are either getting priced out by rent hikes or taking easy money and selling their homes at a nice profit and moving out to enfield or barking lol.

like I remember when I was younger, stoke newington was as bad as the rest of hackney then the trendy arty people came in, prices went up, and with everyone jumping on the crappy bandwagon and it becoming too gentrified, it wasn't cool any more and they moved further in to hackney. Then the area was taken over by middle class families and it feels a tad posh. so weird being around there now with the whole area being really nice, I just have to ignore the voice in my head going "but where all all the lower class people now?"

I mean we have random little coffee shops and such on a stretch of hackney that is know as "murder mile" ffs.

edit: murder mile: http://tylerwetherall.com/2013/12/24/uk-clapton-from-murder-mile-to-hipster-village/

just next to where I work and still pretty much like that, but with more "hipster" shit now. all the chicken shops and such are slowly getting squeezed out lol.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
I just define hipster as someone who is full of shit and heavily obsessed in their persona and the perception people have of them but acts like they aren't and are really cool and interesting in a "i'm not trying" way rather than a loudly boastful way.

Yeah I can dig that thought too.

Quote by sashki
I know people who genuinely enjoy things associated with the hipster stereotype.
Also, in my experience, the people who like to show off are not into obscure things, but instead stuff like wealth, sophistication and social status.
A rich kid who posts on facebook about his life-changing trip to Peru is more of a tryhard, in my opinion, than someone who likes vinyl records and fixed gear bikes. Or the girl in college who wants everyone to know which difficult book she is so deeply moved by.

I'm probably a hipster in someone's eyes.

See to me, any of those things can be tryhard as shit. It depends on the intention of the person doing it though. Having a genuine interest in something unconventional is one thing. Feigning interest just so you can be perceived a certain way is a different story (and really where the negative part of hipster comes from IMO).

I'm sure you are a hipster in someone's eyes but really, most people probably have things about them that could be taken as hipster behavior too so who cares right?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by slipknot5678

you know i was just gonna say, it is funny how the element of class seems to have disappeared from our discourse about "hipsters" -- like remember when everyone hated "hipsters" because they were gentrifying neighborhoods & appropriating working class culture all while living on trust funds, instead of because they liked "/mu/ approved music" or whatever? smfh.
Quote by theguitarist
like I remember when I was younger, stoke newington was as bad as the rest of hackney then the trendy arty people came in, prices went up, and with everyone jumping on the crappy bandwagon and it becoming too gentrified, it wasn't cool any more and they moved further in to hackney. Then the area was taken over by middle class families and it feels a tad posh. so weird being around there now with the whole area being really nice, I just have to ignore the voice in my head going "but where all all the lower class people now?"

I'm imagining a diaspora of poor people replaced by douchebags who buy cereal at cereal-cafes. Just people wandering forever, continually being displaced, and eating cornflakes from boxes.
Quote by neidnarb11890 at #33618679
you know i was just gonna say, it is funny how the element of class seems to have disappeared from our discourse about "hipsters" -- like remember when everyone hated "hipsters" because they were gentrifying neighborhoods & appropriating working class culture all while living on trust funds, instead of because they liked "/mu/ approved music" or whatever? smfh.

yeah seriously.
I have the weird position of having grown up around lower class friends and such but lived in a nice middle class area.

like I enjoy some of the stuff that comes with gentrification and related hipster stuff but I hate myself for it and kinda wish it was all shitty council estate-y again.

eg buying fancy coffee, going to weird art and music shows, eating weird quirky food.

but like I previously mentioned, being non-white gets me a degree of immunity from the "hipster" tag.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
yeah that's why the trendy kids are loving it.

but now they're regenerating so much of it and all the poorer people are either getting priced out by rent hikes or taking easy money and selling their homes at a nice profit and moving out to enfield or barking lol.

I mean we have random little coffee shops and such on a stretch of hackney that is know as "murder mile" ffs.

edit: murder mile: http://tylerwetherall.com/2013/12/24/uk-clapton-from-murder-mile-to-hipster-village/

just next to where I work and still pretty much like that, but with more "hipster" shit now. all the chicken shops and such are slowly getting squeezed out lol.

I can't wait til the shitty parts of Basildon are considered #vogue
some action bronson wannabe legit tried to fight me in a pizzeria once for dressing like a "faggot ass hipster nigga"

i was wearing a peacoat and black jeans in 2k14 lol

Being a dickhead ain't cool, just sad really.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by MinterMan22
some action bronson wannabe legit tried to fight me in a pizzeria once for dressing like a "faggot ass hipster nigga"

huh

guess they thought you were trying to be cool by being not super trendy by dressing "average fashion"

though idk how people view peacoats where you are.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by MinterMan22

Are you sure it wasn't Action Bronson?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by MinterMan22

aka a Ghostface wannabe wannabe
so i googled peacoat and

nah these are too expensive (and too nice) to be the sort of hipster stuff i see

unless NMH-fans wearing tasteful and comfortable charity shop sweaters and having floppy hair isn't the new hipster thing

christ i sound so old
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
slit my throat
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Oct 1, 2015,
Page 1 of 2