hey, i managed to get a new job and am starting to think maybe i could buy a midrange guitar from my first paycheck.

at like 200-500 GBR

i currently have a second hand ibanez gsa60 which is setup painfully bad (still, yeah i've been very busy but i got a car last sunday so can find a shop tomorrow hopefully)

my question really is how should i go about thinking about buying a guitar....

do i just go into local shop and try them all and be like, "dat one feels pretty nice for the price"

or is there like some super popular picks at each price range?

really i just want something that lets me play chords without wanting to kill myself. i'm not bothered about amp stuff at the moment coz i don't mind practicing without the amp plugged in and can plug into my computer for funky sound and have an amp (very cheap) anyway which lets me practice with real sound

its super late so i haven't done any other research than a quick search in the forum and i'm sure there are many many guides on google ill look at and i've still got a month before i get paid but i just wanted to get this post out there for random comments / directions / ragepoint me to some sticky thread

cheers

FYI i'm in harlow/bishop stortford area if anyone has any guitar shop tips (or whatever) for the area.... (i just google map)

BTW I TRIED A £400 GUITAR IN A GUITAR SHOP THE OTHER WEEK AND IT BLEW MY MIND I LITERALLY PLAYED Bb BARRE 1ST ATTEMPT WHEN IT'S LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE ON MY GUITAR LOL
Last edited by percydw at Oct 1, 2015,
You ever been Gig Gear in Harlow? It's my regular haunt; the guys there are great and if they don't have anything for you they'll at least have good advice.

It depends on genre really but in that sort of budget buying something secondhand could get you a pretty nice guitar.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
You need to know what you are looking for in a guitar first.

Go to a guitar store. Try as many guitars there as possible to discover what you like.

What sort of bands do you like? What kinds of sounds are you trying to emulate?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
no i just got to harlow area , ill go there tomorrow, thanks for the tip.
i dont know many bands i just want something nice to play. if they can set up my current guitar so it plays nice then i'd be happy with that!!! its just that i tried so much to get it right and havent been able to .
tnx both
Ive always thought a nice humbucker telecaster with coiltaps is a must have on everyones list. Used to own a Fender FMT telecaster and that did everything. Metal, funk, pop, rock. Everything.

Can pick them up 2nd hand for £300 ish.
Saying that, Im a huge ESP/LTD fan too.

Best advise though has already been said.
Play everything and you'll find something that works well for you
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Yeah if you don't have anything specific in mind, just try a ton of different guitars both at different price points (to see what you get for your money- if you're used to a beginner guitar almost any £400 will feel amazing!) and of different styles and hopefully before too long you'll start to figure out what you like and what you don't.

I'm not sure about the setup. If it can be setup, then obviously that will save you a lot of money. If it can't, you've wasted maybe £50 that could go towards the new guitar.

I guess you could bring your guitar to the shop (check it does setups first), and ask about a setup- ask if they can get it playing well before paying any money (and obviously don't mention you're thinking of a new guitar! though they may well try to push you down that path anyway... it's hard to get unbiased advice unfortunately).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for the replies

question is there any way to sort UG's guitar reviews so you can see like ... the top 50 guitars by user rating in order or something ? i mean i know that's not how you pick a guitar but it would help newbs a bit!!
Not really no.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
man i struggled a bit but managed to get a better idea.

i tried out some from each brand (something like 2 ibanez 1 gibson 1 fender 2 epiphone) until they seemed to wonder when i was going to leave...

i think i like the wider fretboards (ie not ibanez) just because they seem to let me make chords better higher up the fretboard (like F and Bb) . like that fraction of an inch might work better with my finger structure/length or something, idk.

but i noticed i need a guitar with a good cutout and might want to look for a 24 fret guitar

it seemed like quite a few of the ones i tried had old strings which made it hard to tell what they would really feel like...

as for sound, well i can't tell any difference between them, but that's just me, i haven't been playing very long etc. i was just thinking about how easy they would be to play chords and if they had enough frets or whatever

i'll try another place tomorrow and try some more out

as for setting up my guitar he asked way too much money and i just said sorry thats too much for me haha :/

he had quick go at it while i was trying guitars which was nice (but obviously its a balance between fuzz (and twang) and action height still and we're back into buzz territory)
Last edited by percydw at Oct 3, 2015,
^ yeah the old strings (and quality of setup) is what makes it very hard to audition guitars- it's hard to know if you like the guitar or if it just had new strings and a setup you liked

if you know you like wider fretboards you can narrow things down that way- most manufacturers will list the nut width on their websites.

you should start to hear differences the more guitars you try- try different guitars with different pickup types next to each other (and through the same amp settings) to really hear a difference. E.g. try a strat, then a tele, then a les paul, then something with p90s to really hear the differences.

Quote by percydw
thanks for the replies

question is there any way to sort UG's guitar reviews so you can see like ... the top 50 guitars by user rating in order or something ? i mean i know that's not how you pick a guitar but it would help newbs a bit!!

No idea, but I'd be very, very wary about user reviews. There's no quality control with them, you have no idea if the reviewer has a clue or not (and that's before you consider the possibility of fake reviews).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 3, 2015,
Quote by percydw
thanks for the replies

user ratings aren't really the best stick to judge by. often reviews are done by folks who just bought the guitar (or whatever) and of course love there new purchase. after you weed out all the new players who might not have the experience to really judge etc ... if you see what i mean.

best bet is to have at least some idea of what you want from a guitar and a couple of ideas as to what you want for starters. you of course can ask here and hopefully get advice from someone that owns one or has at least some time in playing them. of course trying them yourself is always the best way to go.
well i tried to go to the other shop but then this happened again and you can probably guess the rest
FML
have to wait till next weekend now
at least i didn't end up in chelmsford this time
(i'm not even kidding)

watching some videos like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azo9bwSYDuA

just wondering how yamaha guitars compare (will continue googling a bit)

starting to look up bands i know to see what guitars they use

i mean i like metal and blues and country and pop and some rock but i'm getting an idea lol

curious what brands metal players use other than ibanez and also wondering if things like strats, epiphones come with a wammy bar like my ibanez did

there is a sick ibanez on gumtree but my GPS will run out of batteries on the way and i'll never get home again

edit me today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPTgshKYBSE
Last edited by percydw at Oct 4, 2015,