I'm looking for a really good solid state amp that is loud enough but not extremely expensive. I've been looking at the Fender Mustang II and Mustang III and I'm thinking of buying the Mustang III, but I don't know if there's other amps that are better for the price. What I really like about these amps is the connect-to-PC feature that lets you edit the tones. Should I get the Mustang III or is there another really good solid state amp for a good price?
What kins of music do you play, where do you play, and how loud do you play?
Peavey Bandit
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by diabolical
Sounds like you're after modeling amop, not SS.

Technically he is, but have you ever seen a modeling amp that wasn’t solid state? Building a modeling amp with tubes wouldn’t work well.
Quote by jpnyc
Technically he is, but have you ever seen a modeling amp that wasn’t solid state? Building a modeling amp with tubes wouldn’t work well.

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.
IIRC, it has a 6505 Power amp.
Quote by jpnyc
What kins of music do you play, where do you play, and how loud do you play?

I play any kind of music so it needs to be versatile. I play anywhere and I want to be able to play with a drummer.

Is there a modeling better than the Mustang III around the same price? Or should I spend more.
What are you using it for? The vypyr is great. I personally think the Orange Crush series is really good used for an at home, do all, practice amp.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Mustangs are ok but they wear on me after a while. much better than Spiders but not as musical as Roland IMO. Trust your ears, not the bells, whistles, and glitter.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I had a Fender VibroChamp XD for a long time. It was a hybrid modeling amp. I liked it much more than the Mustangs.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
I had a Fender VibroChamp XD for a long time. It was a hybrid modeling amp. I liked it much more than the Mustangs.

Yep.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
You're playing with a drummer? Then look for a used Vyper Tube 60.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jpnyc

Not quite true, there's a Line6 Bogner hybrid tube, as well as all tube preamps as the Marshall JMP-1 and Mesa Triaxis that are all tube. I guess you can say they might not be modeling preamps but they handle most of their brand's sound so in essence they are.

TS - for the life of me I have no clue why you'd want to tweak your amp via PC while you have the controls in front of you, I guess it has to do with the new generation of kids that can't function if not strapped to a PC

Anyway...if we're talking something that saves to PC you're talking modeling amps with digital interface. There's the new Amplifi by Line6 that does what you pretty much describe. There's also the Vox Valvetronix series that sounds good to my ears, probably best in that price range.

I'd rather go for a small tube amp at that price range, but that's just me.
POD HD500X + crown XLS or something similar.
THis is pretty budget and will get you a ton of tones and modeling. + it's connectable to pc for recording and editing.
Quote by danny1351
... What I really like about these amps is the connect-to-PC feature that lets you edit the tones...

Which makes it a complete nightmare. When you want to tweak something there is noting better than having knobs that you can turn a bit one way and a bit another.

I have a modelling amp (which I never use now) where the interface is so poor there are settings which you can't get to without connecting a PC, which is not what you want when you need just a bit more of something.

I have developed a hate and loathing for modelling amps generally as you can spend an inordinate amount of time chasing just the right sound and tone (which then sounds completely different when you play somewhere else) rather than just getting on and playing the damn guitar.

You also end up with a heap of pre-sets which are so distinctive they only sound right with one song. Great if you are a cover band (assuming you can find the pre-set when you need it, and it doesn't throw a fit and dump the lot) but be prepared to spend more time knob twiddling and button pushing than playing.

So, in answer to the original question "Good solid state amp" ....There isn't one.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Quote by John Sims
So, in answer to the original question "Good solid state amp" ....There isn't one.

Get a load of this guy.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
POD HD500 Into a powered wedge is a good choice. Or like the others said, the Peavey Vypyr Tube or Line 6 Spider Valve are decent options as well.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by jpnyc

Isn't the Fender Super Champ X2 a tube modeling amp?
Used PEaevy Vypir 100 combo. Or look for a Randall RG1503H for more metally stuff.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Actually one amp that I really dig is the Randall V2. The clean and drive 1 channels are SS but drive 2 is tube. Solid state for rhythm and tube for lead. How great is that?
Quote by danny1351
I'm looking for a really good solid state amp that is loud enough but not extremely expensive. I've been looking at the Fender Mustang II and Mustang III and I'm thinking of buying the Mustang III, but I don't know if there's other amps that are better for the price. What I really like about these amps is the connect-to-PC feature that lets you edit the tones. Should I get the Mustang III or is there another really good solid state amp for a good price?

well what ever you decide on, consider something foot switchable. makes it easier to nav the channels.

for me, i'm a early l6 flextone man. but they're not made anymore. 32 amps, 1/2 doz cabs, modd-able, simple, loud and tough. usually run around $300 to $400 usd used in good shape.
Quote by ad_works
well what ever you decide on, consider something foot switchable. makes it easier to nav the channels.

for me, i'm a early l6 flextone man. but they're not made anymore. 32 amps, 1/2 doz cabs, modd-able, simple, loud and tough. usually run around $300 to $400 usd used in good shape.

It's surprising to me how well they've held their value.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yeah people still love the Flextones. They sound awesome.

TS, the POD HD500X and some sort of power amp or powered speaker sounds like the way to go for what you want.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by theogonia777
Peavey Bandit

Used one for years, annoys the cop that lives behind me alot. single 12, reverb , good sound. Pretty good Pawn shop find too. This thing gots the loud, and loved my pedal setup too.

IF you do have a line of pedals, your door is wide open. The Marshall AVT 150H has a Valve preamp. 150 WATTS with two cabs ( 8 + 8 =4) have a look at the combo version if you dont have cabs. some built in effects, delay, chorus, reverbs, flange BUT, can't really combine them. I either use delay, or reverb from the amp, if i want anything else i pedal in thru the input.

LOTS of inexpensive LOUD Marshall solid states, the G100 R CD (100 watts) will give a really good sound for really small money, I run one thru a 2x12 cab i built based on the Blues breaker specs with a pair of inexpensive Celestian AVT412 speakers (i think 50 to 75 watts each, someone else might know better)

The only pedal I run these days is my ancient modified Morley Bwah Wah (the old one you had to switch off with the button). really gives a little extra life to these old ss amps.
Last edited by zeppfrog at Oct 6, 2015,
One more thang. If your Budget is 300 and above, look around for A Bugera. I have heard some issues with their footswitches, and possibly an input or output jack, but otherwise seems like a pretty affordable valve amp.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Trust your ears, not the bells, whistles, and glitter.

Wait, they're using these on DWTS?

Quote by ejthoms
Forget the digital crap and get yourself a lower wattage TUBE!!!!

SS is not digital.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Roland JC-120, best solid state amp ever. Comes in a few variants, JC-77, JC-60, JC-55 and JC-40.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by Arby911
It's surprising to me how well they've held their value.

One of the local pawn shops has had a Flextone in there for something like 5 years.
That particular shop is full of total morons that have no idea of the value of musical gear.
They wanted, IIRC, $600 for the Flextone.
The same pawn shop a few years ago, had a Boss DS-1 they wanted $89 for (and not an MIJ one either) when GC was selling them for $39 as well as a Danelectro FAB Distortion for $69.
I got them to look at the GC web site that showed the DS-1 for $39. Their response was "Ok, we'll let you have it for $69"
I tried to tell them how far off the mark they were.
They didn't listen.
I actually said to them "What you are asking for your musical gear is way off the mark, way over priced", their response was something like "Well you don't have to buy from here".
My reply was (And I kid you not) "You guy are a bunch of fuking morons charging that much for this gear. You're a bunch of fuking retards!!!" and walked out.
Which was too bad because the Flextone sure looked sweet.
And its probably still there.
Quote by danny1351
Danny, Re: the MIII, take a read of what I just posted here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33639987#post33639987
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Flextone is great, the Vypyrs are pretty decent, if you want to use pedals for dirt the JC120 is great...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--