Hi guys!

I have a question. This will be my first time getting a tube amp.
Used to use a Solid State amp and moved on to the eleven rack for my gigs now.

I'm about to get a second hand Laney Lionheart L5T-112.
The seller was telling me to get it for serving/maintenance check. Because its been a long while since he touched the amp.

Is there really a need to get it checked? Well I have not seen and heard the amp yet. The thing is if I have to get it serviced/maintenance check. I think I can save up the money and buy another amp though.

The thing is that services and fees in Singapore are pretty steep.
So.. Yeah I need your advice!

By not touching a tube amp for a substantial amount of time, what will actually happen to the amp? Not really a geek in this.

Really appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance!
At most, it may need some tubes. Buy a set of power tubes and one or two preamp tubes and experiment yourself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Caps! Depending how long it's been, you may need a couple new capacitors in there. They DO dry out, especially when not electrified for extended periods of time. You don't want one of them exploding. REALLY. The price should reflect needing it taken in for a health check. You should also have the bias checked.
Quote by Basscooker
Caps! Depending how long it's been, you may need a couple new capacitors in there. They DO dry out, especially when not electrified for extended periods of time. You don't want one of them exploding. REALLY. The price should reflect needing it taken in for a health check. You should also have the bias checked.

Well let's see, it's a single ended class A cathode biased amp so there's no need to check bias and it's only been on the market since 2007 so it's exceedingly unlikely to need new caps but other than that you're right on track...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Most likely the seller has fried it in some way and is trying to pass it on to it not being recently serviced. That's at least what the frogs I've met selling at forums usually claim.

There should be nothing wrong with the amp if he is selling you a functioning amp.
Quote by Arby911
Well let's see, it's a single ended class A cathode biased amp so there's no need to check bias and it's only been on the market since 2007 so it's exceedingly unlikely to need new caps but other than that you're right on track...

OOps. I forgot that as a bass player, I should be intimately familiar with the topography of every model of guitar amp on the market, and their release date. So, yeah, my bad.
Quote by diabolical
Most likely the seller has fried it in some way and is trying to pass it on to it not being recently serviced.

That’s some good advice.
Quote by diabolical
Most likely the seller has fried it in some way and is trying to pass it on to it not being recently serviced. That's at least what the frogs I've met selling at forums usually claim.

Yeah you want to watch out for that. Not guaranteed the seller is dodgy, he/she could just be cautious, but it could also be a warning sign.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Basscooker

OOps. I forgot that as a bass player, I should be intimately familiar with the topography of every model of guitar amp on the market, and their release date. So, yeah, my bad.

No, but you shouldn't dispense advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

Have a nice day.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Ya cuz it's terrible advice to recommend having capacitors and bias checked on a used tube amp that hasn't been played.
If the amp is cathode biased and fairly new then yes, yes it is terrible advice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Once again, I need to review the library of amp manuals I obviously am supposed to have. It appears that my topography and design memory of every amp manufactured is seriously lacking.

OP, I'd say that amp is a pass, unless it's a really nice amp when fully functional, and the price reflects needing a service and performance check.
If I don't know about an amp I will consult the schematic. If I don't know, I say nothing. Perhaps this is good advice. You know, only speak about things that you know.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Or the seller could be just as ignorant as most of us and is trying to above board with TS that it's been sitting so you may want to get it checked out. I'm sure cleaning the jacks and tube sockets would be a good thing.

My advice for used gear is to only buy it for equal or less than you can flip it for unless it's something that you seriously want which this obviously isn't.

Trust your eyes, ears, and gut or buy new.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I get it. I was wrong. Here's the thing: Three months (let's say) from now, some kid buys a vintage amp that hasn't even been powered up in 20 years. He does the right thing and heads straight for the forum and uses the search, turning up this thread. No mention until I posted about the caps, or bias. Now, the amp in this thread, my comments do not apply. Would you say they do not apply to this hypothetical, ever? At least there is a mention of a POTENTIAL issue that this newb has now seen.

Interesting how changing the "!" to "?" and adding a "should......?" to my original post would have changed this series of posts. I agree that my not being familiar with the exact model should warrant trepidation, but I don't see that recommending a qualified tech look over the amp being bad advice, ever.
It's generally good advice, yeah - but not in this instance. Again, if you only speak about what you actually know about you will be in far better stead and embarrassing moments like these can be avoided.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification