Hello,

I have a guitar I've been using for around 5 months now, on and off. No problems. I;d given the guy a break for the last month and a half in the closet, but then brought with me to jam with some guys. When I pulled it out, all strings were slightly flat, so I tuned up. Played for 20 minutes, no problem. Took a break, put the guitar on a stand. 5 minutes later, I hear a sound and I look up to see that the high E string has broken at the tuning peg.

What may have led to this happening?
Metal works like that. You stretch it, it gets looser. Then it gets colder and the tension goes up. Combine that with rust and sharp edge of the peg, and there you go.
shit happens bruh. usually it happens to me when im doin a solo and im at a sick part and im right into it.

your guitar hates you man

EDIT: Why the fuck would you stop playing for a month and a half? people do that?

inhumanly possible, you sure you're not a bassist?
Happened to my classical guitar a few years ago. The G string just broke while I was sleeping (it was stored on the bunk bed above me. Probably wasn't a good idea in the first place). Scared the shit out of me.
If the strings are old and worn, weird things may happen. The weirdest thing that has happened to me so far was the highest string breaking while tuning down.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
I can't understand why you would want to play with 5 month old strings anyway. Strings are there to be used and get worn out sooner or later. Get some new strings from time to time and your guitar might sound even better.
Last string I had break was on a headless travel guitar with the ball up at the top of the neck. The Martin high E string basically unwound at the ball end and the ball shot across the room when I was bending it 1 step. Now I got NYXLs on it. Tuning is a lot more stable on it than any other strings I've used on this guitar (strings wrap around to the back of the guitar behind the bridge to go to the tuners--not the most stable design. I'll be surprised if these ever break. NYXLs are probably overkill for regular guitars, but they're a Godsend on this travel guitar. If there's a problem with the tuning peg on TS's guitar, it'll be cheaper to replace the high E tuning machine on this guitar than pay $12 every string change. In the meantime you can buy small gauge strings in packs of 6 from Ernie Ball or from most guitar stores.
Quote by Always-Ben
Hello,

I have a guitar I've been using for around 5 months now, on and off. No problems. I;d given the guy a break for the last month and a half in the closet, but then brought with me to jam with some guys. When I pulled it out, all strings were slightly flat, so I tuned up. Played for 20 minutes, no problem. Took a break, put the guitar on a stand. 5 minutes later, I hear a sound and I look up to see that the high E string has broken at the tuning peg.

What may have led to this happening?

Guitar strings get old, corrode, suffer metal fatigue, get cut by burrs on bridge saddles and tuners, etc. "Rust Never Sleeps."

Time between string changes on the guitars I use varies according to usage: Once a week, once a month, once every six months. Guitars get stored in their cases, not on stands or hanging (minimizing air, temperature and humidity changes is a good thing). Guitars being stored longer term have a VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor, about $8-10 for one that lasts at least a year from an online store like theruststore.com). All of this extends string life. I'll use a coated string (like the Elixir series) for guitars I play infrequently, but I'll buy cheap strings in bulk (usually something like GHS Boomers) and change frequently the ones I play often.

You want to check the saddles and tuning pegs for sharp edges and burrs, and smooth them down (or have a tech do it) when you find them. Burrs will simply cut your string.
I forgot to wipe my guitar strings down on my old guitar. I have been playing my new guitar and I decided to bust out the old guitar and every string is covered is complete rust in less than a month.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
This can go one of two ways.

The guitar is pissed off for some reason.

If you played metal on it, it wants Prayer and Worship.

If you played Prayer and Worship, it wants metal.

Try that after changing the strings.

If more strings break on their own after this, cut a perfectly good string and mount it in front of the guitar as a warning for all of the others.

But seriously strings just break when it's their time. Like everything, enjoy them while they are in your life.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .