You know how Dave won't play certain songs live because of satanic lyrics? Why doesn't he just play an instrumental version live? Or rewrite the lyrics? Then, maybe release an album of those songs(because that is a lot of songs) rewritten and the solos re-recorded by the new guitarist?

Also personally I think Good Mourning/Black Friday is awesome, but the lyrics disgust me (also why I don't listen to Slayer that often)
Quote by xcamero360
You know how Dave won't play certain songs live because of satanic lyrics? Why doesn't he just play an instrumental version live? Or rewrite the lyrics? Then, maybe release an album of those songs(because that is a lot of songs) rewritten and the solos re-recorded by the new guitarist?

Also personally I think Good Mourning/Black Friday is awesome, but the lyrics disgust me (also why I don't listen to Slayer that often)

I think the whole satanic lyrics thing is just a front so he doesnt have to admit he cant sing them anymore
Quote by xcamero360

Maybe Metal isn't the music for you, then.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Maybe Metal isn't the music for you, then.

No I'm totally hardcorps, man. I like the dark lyrics in metal but they don't have to be disgusting. In my opinion the bands that do that give metal a bad name. But I am on the lighter side of metal. Strictly 80's metal for me. And The Sword.
Last edited by xcamero360 at Oct 2, 2015,
I once listened to The Sword and now I own several Sorrentino kiosks in the Edmonton Highlands. It really makes you ask yourself, "Maybe I'm a Second Cup kinda guy, guess I'll never know."

There's a darkness in all of us. Sometimes it's too bitter, other times not bitter enough. Sometimes it uses 100% Arabica,or Robusta so you get your fix, or you can add whipped topping and chocolate drip for only 75 cents more. A cafe mocha latte for only 3.45. Freshly brewed every time for your enjoyment. Please buy my coffee. It's all I have.
I like my metal like I like my coffee with lots of cream and lots of sugar. Only white boys and sunshine for me please.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by xcamero360

That is a terrible idea. That's like saying you'd rather watch the censored-for-TV Friday the 13th rather than the original.
Is Megadeth even relevant anymore? or Anthrax? or Slayer?

I've moved on long time ago...

I still pay respects to Gary Holt and dig his Exodus records, the last one is great!

If I want dark and satanic, I wouldn't bother with these bands, I just pop in one of the earlier Venom or Bathory records, or something from the Norwegian scene.
Quote by diabolical
Is Megadeth even relevant anymore? or Anthrax? or Slayer?

I've moved on long time ago...

I still pay respects to Gary Holt and dig his Exodus records, the last one is great!

If I want dark and satanic, I wouldn't bother with these bands, I just pop in one of the earlier Venom or Bathory records, or something from the Norwegian scene.

I don't know about relevant but the big 4 have definitely released some great music in the 2000's/2010's
They are geriatric shells of anything they achieved in the 80's, which was only so much for some ears. They are jokes. Like this thread's idea.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
They are geriatric shells of anything they achieved in the 80's, which was only so much for some ears. They are jokes. Like this thread's idea.

ALL music is only so much for some ears. If you were trying to make me feel bad, it didn't work.
Quote by xcamero360
ALL music is only so much for some ears. If you were trying to make me feel bad, it didn't work.

Well, the idea here is pretty bad. Megadeth songs don't work as instrumentals. They aren't written as instrumentals. You can't just do a direct conversion and expect it to work.

And rewriting the lyrics so that they're more kid friendly? I completely respect the fact that Dave doesn't want to play those songs anymore thanks to his ideals. That's cool. But rewriting the lyrics is kind of insulting to the fans and his past. It would be really lame.

And the big four aren't relevant anymore. I'm interested in what Metallica does since they're Metallica after all and I feel like they have some potential for creativity. I also enjoy Het's vocals. But the rest don't really matter anymore, Dave can't play or sing properly, Slayer is a joke compared to their earliest records, and Anthrax wasn't that relevant to begin with.

But underground death and black metal, that's where the meat is.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by xcamero360

Why would I spend time trying to make you feel bad? Not everything is about you.

Your thread is dumb, on the other hand. As you can see by no one agreeing with you.

Megadeth blows. Even when the Bay area was the place to be, I still had other avenues of Thrash that were better. Nowadays he doesn't even write Thrash, just boring Pop songs with a distorted guitar.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I mean, Tom Araya is a practicing Catholic, but that never stopped Slayer doing anything. I don't see why it should be any different for Dave and Megadeth; lyrics are just fiction anyway, they don't have to be personal or anything. Just like as an atheist, I wouldn't mind performing a religious song if it had musical value
I take my metal black. Like my men.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Last edited by Kytokinesis at Oct 17, 2015,
Quote by xcamero360

NO.

For one reason and one reason alone... PROWLER '88
Oh, and one other CHARLOTTE THE HARLOT '88

Re-recording only ever seems to show that a band has drained the inspiration well completely dry (as if Supercollider didn't show that enough already). Granted, Maiden did produce a stellar album that year (synth protestations from purists notwithstanding), but generally re-recordings are, to use the common parlance, a gargantuan steaming mound of dog shit.

Aaaaalso, MegaDave has finally turned me away from his sorry excuse for a band for good by means of that childish temper tantrum that he posted from his iPhonegalaxyBerry about his guitar tech. I don't particularly care about his problems with his instruments, some days your gear just looks you squarely in the eye and says 'Nope' and for the love of all things Broderick you can't figure out why (but I digress)...

If you record albums through Digitech guitar processors, you're going to sound dry, tepid and lifeless anyway - throw in a signature Marshall (which you then don't use) on top of that and the tech is, essentially, a fart in a tornado (of souls?). So to fire someone in that way just makes him look as dumb as Kelly 'kin Clarkson (See this disgrace of a concert on YouTube). Couple that with the fact that this new inferior 2015 version of Devil's Island KEEPS making me think Fatal Attraction - I can see Glenn Close now... and why the hell did I come here?

Oh.

Yes.

Re-recordings - BAD.

Heroin and Big Trainers - GOOD (at least for the 1980's thrash metal scene).
Davey could just replace the naughty devil lyrics with some nice rainbow ones. "YOU ARE MY FRIEND AND I RESPECT YOU AS A PERSOOOOOON-AH!!!"
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Davey could just replace the naughty devil lyrics with some nice rainbow ones. "YOU ARE MY FRIEND AND I RESPECT YOU AS A PERSOOOOOON-AH!!!"

^This
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Why can't all these classic metal bands just die so these threads don't happen anymore?

I think that the problem is (some) metalheads living too much in the past, and not the classic metal bands themselves.

If these people that live in the past don't like what the classic metal bands have become, they should do:
a) Stick to the older albums and don't listen to the newer albums
b) Look for new bands to listen to
c) All of the above

And then, these threads wouldn't happen
Last edited by DanyFS at Oct 27, 2015,