So as you all may know, Jimi Hendrix changed the world forever. I would just like to remind you all that he is the greatest. Thank you.
Quote by danny1351
So as you all may know, Jimi Hendrix changed the world forever. I would just like to remind you all that he is the greatest. Thank you.

But is he literally "better" then some of the guys who have came after him? What about Satriani, Vai and Petrucci? I think Vai (in particular) runs circles around Hendrix.

And that's not to take away from the innovator that Hendrix was, but melodically, he just didn't stack up to guys like Vai.

Did he pave the way?

Sure, and for that he deserves our respect. But was he the best to ever pickup the instrument? I would argue no - and it's not close.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com
Well, he technically can't be the greatest since Guthrie Govan exists.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by robertwilliam9
What about Satriani, Vai and Petrucci?

I guess you could argue for Satch but even then that's a bizarre choice of comparisons. Those guys owe a lot to Hendrix like most of us but musically the direct link is minimal. They're also all pretty boring by comparison but that's a different issue.

Hendrix has been dead 45 years. Fantastic musician, great innovator but thoroughly long-dead. SRV and Froosh, probably the two major guitarists who owe the most to Hendrix, both played guitar longer than Hendrix was alive. If the role of "god" is even a relevant one in music (it's not - so many people have "changed the world" on a similar scale and been that talented in so many different genres that half of them are practically nextmen to most of us) Hendrix can't lay claim to it in 2015.

Guthrie Govan is a fantastic guitarist but culturally his existence can't be compared to Hendrix.
Yet
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I understand that for now.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by robertwilliam9
But is he literally "better" then some of the guys who have came after him? What about Satriani, Vai and Petrucci? I think Vai (in particular) runs circles around Hendrix.
Where's their If 6 Was 9? Voodoo Child? Machine Gun?
Great technician =/= great guitarist
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
Where's their If 6 Was 9? Voodoo Child? Machine Gun?
Great technician =/= great guitarist

As if those three wouldn't be great guitarists. The argument that great tehcnique equals no emotion is stupid.

There are dozens of guitarist living now whom I consider a lot better than Hendrix. I could just as well ask that where's Hendrix's Waves? His Drive Home? His Octavarium? His White Walls? Of course you can argue that those songs are bad and have no emotion and whatever, but that is subjective. And subjectively, I think those songs are a lot more interesting than Jimis music.

I respect the cultural importance of Hendrix's music. But influence does not equal skill in my book.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by danny1351
So as you all may know, Jimi Hendrix changed the world forever.

He influenced rock guitar music. That's like 2% of music in the US and UK and probably like a .01% of music worldwide. Not exactly changing the world.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I won't go so far as God, but Hendrix brought one thing to music many miss. We sometimes get trapped looking at tab or watching a live video of the Jimi to nail down his licks and totally miss his lesson. Hendrix brought the Guitarist "Freedom". An example is to watch what he did with other peoples music. Bob Dylans watchtower, Knocking on Heavens door, then the Beatles covers he did. He didn't let the song trap his music. He took it as a foundation for his own expression. I think you can only get that when you exercise the same freedom in how you cover him. Use his foundation, now feel your notes and express it your way. You are only bound by a chord structure (key). If you play within those walls, you are still in the game. Go forth and be Free.
More Hendrix dick-riding? Yeah, not like this dead horse wasn't already beaten into a pulp decades before most of us were born.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by Kevätuhri
As if those three wouldn't be great guitarists. The argument that great tehcnique equals no emotion is stupid.
They're not greats. And I didn't make that argument. Build your strawmen elsewhere

Quote by Kevätuhri
There are dozens of guitarist living now whom I consider a lot better than Hendrix. I could just as well ask that where's Hendrix's Waves? His Drive Home? His Octavarium? His White Walls? Of course you can argue that those songs are bad and have no emotion and whatever, but that is subjective. And subjectively, I think those songs are a lot more interesting than Jimis music.
Guitar nerds don't get to decide who is great, sorry. Even Neil Young is more of a guitar great than Satch & Vai. Them covering Rocking In the Free World is hilarious. All that technique but completely missing the point of the song, and thus delivering inferior playing as a result. And of course, none of them would ever have written that in the first place.

Quote by Kevätuhri
I respect the cultural importance of Hendrix's music. But influence does not equal skill in my book.
Technical ability is not a major factor in greatness and being the greatest guitarist.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
They're not greats. And I didn't make that argument. Build your strawmen elsewhere

You're right, you didn't make that argument. I still brought it up because it's relevant

Quote by The Judist
Guitar nerds don't get to decide who is great, sorry. Even Neil Young is more of a guitar great than Satch & Vai. Them covering Rocking In the Free World is hilarious. All that technique but completely missing the point of the song, and thus delivering inferior playing as a result. And of course, none of them would ever have written that in the first place.

It's not like anyone can decide who is great and who is not I don't like Vai or Satch, neither plays music that I enjoy. I still recognize the fact that they're pretty damn good guitarists. And I don't see why they would want to write something like Rocking in the Free World, it's just a plain rock song. You probably disagree, but that's cool, since it's pretty subjective.

Your whole argument is kind of hollow. You're trying to press the idea that music is both subjective and objective, you've seemed to decide that these guitarists that you like more are better, and you're trying to present it as an objective opinion.

Quote by The Judist
Technical ability is not a major factor in greatness and being the greatest guitarist.

Neither is fame.
Quote by Jet Penguin

Quote by Hail
Quote by Kevätuhri
Neither is fame.

Doch. Someone can be whatever level of player they like, or as innovative as they like, but you're not "great" until your influence is being felt on some level by a lot of people.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Doch. Someone can be whatever level of player they like, or as innovative as they like, but you're not "great" until your influence is being felt on some level by a lot of people.

That is no small point. Thus there is always room for the next guy in the game.
As a guitar player who had listened both old and new gotta say is it hendrix or one of this dozen new (G3 vai, satriani and malmsteen). Its not about competition who is technically superior or faster or genial. Its about music. Its about how much you enjoy their guitar music, how much this music inspires, sends messages and changes you as person. Take it this way i have listened S.Vai for about 6mnth. Malmsteen for about a year and satriani for maybe more...But i listened hendrix always and i alwas will! No comparison in music. Again its not about acrobatics, gymnastics, tricks and fliper sounds, or horse speed. Its about music. I myself try to play slower and emotional. Thats the key i think...
Last edited by bgblue at Oct 11, 2015,
Quote by Stephen Quinn
Jimi was a highly expressive player, essential to creating music

But what does expressive even mean? People use that word all the time. Isn't anyone playing an instrument expressing themselves?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
But what does expressive even mean? People use that word all the time. Isn't anyone playing an instrument expressing themselves?

Hendrix did it in a way that lots of people feel

Michael Angelo Batio's expressing himself, Skrillex is expressing himself (if he still makes music? Hell if I know), Kanye West is expressing himself, etc. etc. etc.

Expressive as it's a meaningful term means a lot of people experience an emotional response to it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Jimi was way more innovative than satch, vai, etc. most of his signature songs were released before 1970, he shaped guitar playing and the music that came after him, specifically the 70's. No question he had more of an impact than those guys and i believe its because he was a flatout innovator.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Hendrix did it in a way that lots of people feel

Michael Angelo Batio's expressing himself, Skrillex is expressing himself (if he still makes music? Hell if I know), Kanye West is expressing himself, etc. etc. etc.

Expressive as it's a meaningful term means a lot of people experience an emotional response to it.

So does that mean that pop music is the most expressive? The most people either listen to that and experience an emotional response... either positive or negative.

To me, expressiveness is just people taking a vague, qualitative term and ascribing it to something abstract such as music as if it is an inherent quality of slow, bluesy playing lacking technical complexity, usually using that as justification for that sort of playing's superiority and often used as a way to dismiss technical playing as having less musical validity due to its placement of a so-called overindulgence over this somehow inherently superior "feeling" which supposedly exists only in slow playing.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Oct 11, 2015,
Quote by theogonia777
So does that mean that pop music is the most expressive? The most people either listen to that and experience an emotional response... either positive or negative.

I like that angle.

Quote by theogonia777
To me, expressiveness is just people taking a vague, qualitative term and ascribing it to something abstract such as music as if it is an inherent quality of slow, bluesy playing lacking technical complexity, usually using that as justification for that sort of playing's superiority and often used as a way to dismiss technical playing as having less musical validity due to its placement of a so-called overindulgence over this somehow inherently superior "feeling" which supposedly exists only in slow playing.

I totally agree, I don't think there's any use in talking about expressiveness because everyone is expressing when the make music; I tried to define expressiveness insofar as it's a meaningful term and I suppose the reason I didn't do a very good job is that it's not
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by danny1351

What about Rory Gallagher ? Up there also I think..
I share the opinions of OP, but for a different but similar reasons. Jimi Hendrix's playing was trying to tap into a spiritual realm where the guitar could actually speak to the audience like a vocalist could. I haven't seen anyone do that before Hendrix came along, so he pioneered the electric guitar in that way.

That's what makes him IMO the greatest guitarist of all time. The best artist? The most technical? The most expressive? I wouldn't put Hendrix first in those categories, but his understanding of the electric guitar was far beyond anyone else's.
Quote by camouflage518
That's what makes him IMO the greatest guitarist of all time.[...] but his understanding of the electric guitar was far beyond anyone else's.

So then shouldn't a more modern guitarist whose understanding is far beyond Hendrix's be considered greater?
Quote by theogonia777
So then shouldn't a more modern guitarist whose understanding is far beyond Hendrix's be considered greater?

Id much rather be able to say i built a mansion without blueprints than say i added onto that same mansion with other blueprints.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by jimihendrix6699
Id much rather be able to say i built a mansion without blueprints than say i added onto that same mansion with other blueprints.

But it's not like Jimi didn't build on to what others had done before him.
Quote by theogonia777

Jimi was legitimately radically different compared to literally everything out at the time
Quote by Nelsean

Quote by The_Blode
huge hendrix fan myself. pretty sure if you asked satch or vai if they were as good as jimi they'd be the first to deny it. hendrix did more for guitar than just play it. many studio techniques that are still in use today were developed for getting the sounds jimi wanted. listen to the material he did late in his career and you'll find some pretty awesome playing and guitar tones. jimi pioneered the effects pedal as more than a novelty and brought the idea of using state fo the art tech for live playing (and of course studio). don't forget that things like the octavia, univibe and even the wah were all pretty new or brand new when hendrix adopted them as part of his setup.

as for the best well he was the best in his time. many guitar players have built on the foundation that jimi set and have taken guitar even further than any one could imagine. don't think any one player can be "the best" or "god" though.
Quote by theogonia777

he certainly did but he also had many original ideas that seperated him from the crowd. all musicians build on the past even if they don't wantto admit it.
just typed a big ol discourse about Hendrix, very insightful and thought out but when I go to post site gives me another log in request and then says the link was invalid, pffsht..

well to sum it up, Jimi god?.. heck no, Jimi the best guitar player? not even close. Jimi the greatest guitar player of all time? a resounding yes.

those who doubt please dig deep into his catalogue and listen listen listen. do no judge Jimi by the radio cuts, come on... listen to all the studio stuff but also the live stuff.... after that form your opinion and do your comparisons...
Quote by danny1351

He's the only man that I know of that could play the guitar with his teeth and/or tongue....he's a Legend...
Well if one could compare technique junkies on drums to more musical drummers. I would say there is a vast difference. Several famous drummers known for their technique, but their playing is somewhat 2d and isn't as musical. You give up a bit of musicality in the quest for technique. Just like the opposite is true. At a certain level you specialize or you become the jack of all trades. Jimi was musical.
It's like saying Thomas Edison or Nickola Tesla are irrelevant because Edison's light bulb gave off less that 1 watt of light or Tesla's X-Ray machine doesn't matter because it cannot do what a modern Cat Scan can do. Before 1966 nobody played anything like Hendrix. When he went to the UK in the fall of 1966 every major guitar hero of that era became influenced by Hendrix. Music got heavier and playing became as important (or more important) than the singers in the band. Guitar players built on his foundation. He wasn't imitating anyone and was unique creating a style of music that is still being copied.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 28, 2015,
I agree that Jimi Hendrix changed the world, and was a great guitarist. I also must say, that if I was going to try and objectively compare guitarists and which one is better, as a guitarist, I would have to say that Guthrie Govan is a better guitarist now, than Jimi Hendrix was.

Jimi also died young, and he made some cool music. As a songwriter, jimi was better that Guthrie Govan, obviously, since Guthrie Govan doesn't really songwrite, to my knowledge.

A better modern comparison in that case, would have to be John Mayer. And I think in total each has a bit different strengths than the other.

But "If I have seen farther, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" -Isaac Newton

So, really the modern guys have had a lot more to learn from, and Jimi Broke a lot of ground and really changed the idea of what could be done with a guitar. Which is special.

So, he is a legend for sure, but because he was a legend, and because of what he did, I think modern people have been able to do more. Which is normal in just about everything.

But as far as art and appreciation of the music goes, well he did what he did, and it is what it is, whether you like it or not. You might prefer this guy or that guy, and that's fine, but I don't think you can really compare greatness that way.

I personally don't think some of the guitarists mentioned here come even close to Jimi Hendrix, or Guthrie Govan. But skill-wise, what they can do on the guitar, they are up there for sure.

I think Art Tatum is the best piano player to have ever lived since recordings were possible. But I prefer Oscar Peterson.

I think you can't get away from subjectivity. So it's tough to objectively compare guitarists.
jeff beck is overlooked by many as a innovator-his early work with the yardbirds was way ahead of any guitarist at that time (over under sideways down) and to this day he is doing fantastic guitar oriented music..using influences of jimi-as well as other innovators like fripp..

it was not just the innovation that Hendrix brought..but the amazing body of work in four years and his obvious musical growth (thanks to many that moved him forward-producers etc) had he lived where would he be today..i doubt he would be in the metal speed race..or doing pop tunes..but wait..who knows..who could have bet heavy that someone would ask "hey, did you see the IBM commercial with Bob Dylan??" .. or that miles davis would record a cindi lauper song "time after time"..

in the mid-late 60's the guitar was taking center stage (thanks fab four) it was the atomic bomb of rock-check out the movie "Monterey pop" - the first "rock festival" check the reactions of the crowd when jimi played..

yeah today there very many players that are way ahead of Hendrix in terms of technique and style..and yes there is his influence in there playing..a tribute to him..beyond a musician he was a very cool person..humble about his ability..

I miss him
play well

wolf
Quote by monwobobbo
he certainly did but he also had many original ideas that seperated him from the crowd. all musicians build on the past even if they don't wantto admit it.

Right, every single musician has been influenced by every single piece of music they've ever heard. Whether they studied, or practiced it or not doesn't matter. It's like that for everyone in every trade, or endeavor or what have you.

But some people come along every once in a while, and don't just carry on, building a little, but take a big next step that's revolutionary.

Dave chappelle has what I think is a cool quote in that regard.

The mark of greatness is when everything before you is obsolete, and everything after you bears your mark.

-Dave Chappelle
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Oct 28, 2015,